Windows 10: Why is explorer.exe keeping my USB harddrive busy?

Discus and support Why is explorer.exe keeping my USB harddrive busy? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I have a huge problem that I cant find solution for. When I eject my USB harddrive I get: Problem Ejecting USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MakeW10Great, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Why is explorer.exe keeping my USB harddrive busy?

Hi!

I have a huge problem that I cant find solution for. When I eject my USB harddrive I get:
    When I look it up with process explorer it is used by explorer.exe.

Why is explorer.exe keeping my USB harddrive busy? Capture.png

There are 2 things that I noticed:
    1) These are all directories, not files.
    2) When I kill explorer and re-run it then it automatically opens these files again.
    3) When I plug that harddrive again, it again opens the same file handles.

Can anyone tell me why is explorer doing this and how do I prevent it?

Right now this is the only way I can unmount it:
    1) kill explorer
    2) windows - Remove USB device from command line - Super User

I would love to unmount it via UI.

:)

MakeW10Great, Aug 22, 2018
  2. infocus Win User

Best gaming harddrive Sugestion ???

Seagate states on their 750gb,32mb cache harddrive that the best application is video surveillance.(liquor stores,how very sad and completly overpriced for the amount of problems they have).Yet Passmark lists this near the top of their harddrive page.Any one have a suggestion for something that will last.(maybe samsung???)
    Also I was considering a Raidmax hybrid 2 sli 630w powersupply.Any thoughts on Raidmax??

infocus, Aug 22, 2018
  3. usb external harddrive is not detected

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with detecting external hard drive via USB 3.0 port, this issue might have occurred due to corrupted or out dated port drivers.

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: Run Hardware troubleshooter as it will help in resolving the issues with hardware and resolve any simple issues found.

• Write Troubleshooting
      in the search box and hit Enter.

• Click on Troubleshooting
      tab.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

• Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.

• Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the USB driver for the computer and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows and X together and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the Universal Serial Bus Controller and expand the driver icon.

• Right Click on all the USB driver icon and select
      Uninstall
    Restart the computer. After restarting the computer, USB driver will automatically be installed.

As an additional resource, please refer to the below links and check if it helps.

Install USB 3.0 and other USB devices

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly get back with the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Why is explorer.exe keeping my USB harddrive busy?

USB drive will not run exes.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you in solving the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if you have installed any Antivirus in the Laptop.

I suggest you to run the program in compatibility mode by following the steps provided below and check if the issue persist.

• Right click on the “.exe” file of the program and select properties.
    • Under Compatibility tab, check the option for “Run in Compatibility mode”.
    • Select the Operating System from the drop down list.
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

Why is explorer.exe keeping my USB harddrive busy?

1. Why is explorer.exe keeping my USB harddrive busy? - Similar Threads - Why explorer exe

2. why does my windows explorer keeps freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does my windows explorer keeps freezing: when I open my folders, explorer keeps freezing. I have restarted the computer several times, but this does not seem to help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-windows-explorer-keeps-freezing/22627587-a7cd-4399-aff6-20675c71f0b9
  3. Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?: When i try to open any exe files on explorer it does the busy cursor then it doesn't open it? any fixes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-isnt-file-explorer-not-opening-exes/6a803796-da43-4ab8-b50e-887d4de66ee1
  4. Why ".exe" keeps generating in my P.C?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why ".exe" keeps generating in my P.C?: Hi there. I have a problem regarding M.S Windows Defender. I have the most updated Windows Defender it doesn't helps me in removing viruses from my P.C/Laptop. My P.C keeps generating .exe files in every directory, even in the new ones. And Windows Defender does not even...
  5. locked harddrive by microsoft why?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    locked harddrive by microsoft why?: i am saying microsoft because i was doing updates after they loaded i restarted and i could not get in to my system. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locked-harddrive-by-microsoft-why/29ff5258-bf71-4db8-aa56-ab638f299711
  6. Harddrive keeps failing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Harddrive keeps failing: Dear community, Since my harddrive crashed last month, I've been getting more and more problems lately. This is what happened: Suddenly out of nowhere my harddrive did not boot up. Well, it did, but the storage was "unallocated". I lost every file on that harddrive. I got...
  7. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  8. Why is my usb harddrive active

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is my usb harddrive active: Hi I have a usb hard drive that I use for backups. I use EaseUS to create incremental backups every working day at 13:00. That is the only use I have for the hard drive. But every day when I boot up the hard drive whirrs away. How can I find out what is using the hard...
  9. Why is explorer.exe keeping my USB harddrive busy?

Why is explorer.exe keeping my USB harddrive busy?: Hi! I have a huge problem that I cant find solution for. When I eject my USB harddrive I get: Problem Ejecting USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again....
  10. Problem exploring secondary harddrive.

Problem exploring secondary harddrive.: My pc is running windows 10 and I'm trying see files in another hdd that's running xp. I connected it as a slave just so I could see the files and collect and save what I needed to. when I go into storage and have a look It does show the hard drive and it does have the colour...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 what is keeping usb drive busy?