Windows 10: Why is it so DIFFICULT to simply select my default printer in Windows 11?

Discus and support Why is it so DIFFICULT to simply select my default printer in Windows 11? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Recent changes with Win 11 are making it very difficult to simply "select a DEFAULT" printer. Maybe I am missing something, but I had to do the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Patrick O'Brien3, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Why is it so DIFFICULT to simply select my default printer in Windows 11?

Recent changes with Win 11 are making it very difficult to simply "select a DEFAULT" printer. Maybe I am missing something, but I had to do the following: Select SETTINGS; PRINTERS & SCANNERS; Select my Printer by NAME; THE NORMAL DIAGNOSTIC TOOL THEN SIMPLY FAILS AND MICROSOFT SAYS THAT IN ITS GUIDANCE;THEN LUCKILY at bottom of list I had to scroll down to end "More Devices and Printer Settings; THEN FINALLY I get to mark said printer name above as stated above as DEFAULT. - This is NOT USER FRIENDLY and MUST BE MADE EASIER. Seems to me the message from Microsoft is STOP USING YOUR

:)

Patrick O'Brien3, Mar 4, 2024

2. Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 4, 2024
  3. Windows 10 - Cannot Set Printer Default

Hi Marc,

I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot state and then try to make the default printer.

Perform clean boot to identify if any 3rd party service is causing this issue:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow
    Step 3 from the link to start the computer to
    Normal startup mode.

Note: Also applies to Windows 10.

To make printer as a default printer you can follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key+ X and select
      device manager

• Select devices and printers

• Right click on the printer you want to use, and then click
      set as default printer (You'll see a check mark on the printer's icon signifying that it's now your default printer).
    Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Mar 4, 2024
  4. Why is it so DIFFICULT to simply select my default printer in Windows 11?

How do I set up default printer in Windows 10

Hi Marcy,

Thank you for posting your response.

We would like to know if you are facing any issue when you printer documents with on other printer.

I would like to inform you that, whenever you give a task to printer on your computer it always selects the default printer to print.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to set the printer as default.

• Press Windows + X key.

• Select Control Panel.
    • Click on Devices and Printers.
    • Under printers, Right on the printer.
    • Select set as default printer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Syed Md Bilal, Mar 4, 2024
Thema:

Why is it so DIFFICULT to simply select my default printer in Windows 11?

1. Why is it so DIFFICULT to simply select my default printer in Windows 11? - Similar Threads - Why DIFFICULT simply

2. Why is it so DIFFICULT to simply select my default printer in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is it so DIFFICULT to simply select my default printer in Windows 11?: Recent changes with Win 11 are making it very difficult to simply "select a DEFAULT" printer. Maybe I am missing something, but I had to do the following: Select SETTINGS; PRINTERS & SCANNERS; Select my Printer by NAME; THE NORMAL DIAGNOSTIC TOOL THEN SIMPLY FAILS AND...
  3. Why my app in my laptop gets automatically selected? So it becomes very difficult to open...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my app in my laptop gets automatically selected? So it becomes very difficult to open...: Whenever I refresh my laptop, the left side of app gets automatically selected and then, when we open any other app, it becomes very difficult. The automatically selected app keep on opening even after selecting different app? Sometimes it's start scrolling down...
  4. Why my app in my laptop gets automatically selected? So it becomes very difficult to open...

Why my app in my laptop gets automatically selected? So it becomes very difficult to open...: Whenever I refresh my laptop, the left side of app gets automatically selected and then, when we open any other app, it becomes very difficult. The automatically selected app keep on opening even after selecting different app? Sometimes it's start scrolling down...
  5. Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to simply buy a license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to simply buy a license?: We have 4 purchased PCs which now need Windows activation with a product key. Why does Microsoft make it so difficult and convoluted to simply purchase license keys ? These PCs are deployed at client locations, so we just need valid license keys. I shouldn't have to go...
  6. Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to simply buy a license?

Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to simply buy a license?: We have 4 purchased PCs which now need Windows activation with a product key. Why does Microsoft make it so difficult and convoluted to simply purchase license keys ? These PCs are deployed at client locations, so we just need valid license keys. I shouldn't have to go...
  7. Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to simply buy a license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  8. WHY is this SO Difficult? Windows 11 Education to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHY is this SO Difficult? Windows 11 Education to Windows 11?: How do you switch from Windows 11 Education Version to a regular version of Windows 11?????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-so-difficult-windows-11-education-to/af71e6cf-83ab-4f79-9708-ba24cbfdaa17
  9. WHY is this SO Difficult? Windows 11 Education to Windows 11?

WHY is this SO Difficult? Windows 11 Education to Windows 11?: How do you switch from Windows 11 Education Version to a regular version of Windows 11?????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-so-difficult-windows-11-education-to/af71e6cf-83ab-4f79-9708-ba24cbfdaa17
  10. Why is windows 10 so difficult to understand

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is windows 10 so difficult to understand: I would like to know why they made windows 10 so difficult to understand. my husband bought me a new laptop with that came with windows 10. His desktop has windows 7 ultimate and I find it very easy to understand. and are there any plans soon for a new and better system soon...