Windows 10: Why is KB4015438 offered by windows update and fail to install?

Discus and support Why is KB4015438 offered by windows update and fail to install? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; On April 27th this update failed to install thru windows update many times. I then downloaded it from the Microsoft catalogue and when I tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Alicia J, May 1, 2017.

1. Alicia J Win User

Why is KB4015438 offered by windows update and fail to install?

On April 27th this update failed to install thru windows update many times. I then downloaded it from the Microsoft catalogue and when I tried to install it, it said that this update didn't apply to my system?

:)

Alicia J, May 1, 2017
  2. Argel Obm Win User

2017-05 Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)

Hi Sandra,

KB3150513 is an update that provides the latest set of definitions for compatibility diagnostics that are performed on the system. This update makes sure that the latest Windows operating system version is correctly offered through Windows Update, based
    on compatibility results. KB3150513 was updated last June 2016. This can be the reason why this update is being offered to your computer.

KB4015438 is a build update for Windows 10 version 1607. This update includes quality improvements to your Windows 10.
    Just to clarify, were you able to install KB4015438 before?

There is a possibility that these two update are not yet installed on the computer. This may be the reason why KB3150513 and KB4015438 are still being offered by Windows Update. Windows Update may be experiencing an issue with its settings or system files
    and that can be the reason why it cannot install those updates. We recommend running the
    Windows Update troubleshooter. The troubleshooter usually resolves common update issues and it will also show you the cause of the error.

We'll be waiting for the outcome.

Argel Obm, May 1, 2017
  3. Ruggy Rat Win User
    Unable to shutdown or restart...

Laptop suddenly will not shutdown or restart when clicking the option. I used the laptop daily and has been fine. I noticed windows update or install in progress so I let it complete. When it is done installing the update, still will not let me shutdown
    or restart. I left the laptop on overnight and no change this morning. About to do hard shutdown unless there is another alternative re hard power down (something I do not like to do). Please recommend?

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)

Successfully installed on 4/22/17

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Vers•on 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015438)

Failed to install on 4/16/17

Ruggy Rat, May 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please see
    Cumulative Update KB4015438 for Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.969 - - Windows 10 Forums

This was replaced...

Also see e.g.
    KB4015438 and KB4013429 fail to install - - Windows 10 Forums

(I searched the forum for 4015438 for you)

Otherwise you can try to examine the failures using the logs.
    Windows 10, WindowsUpdate.log and how to view it with PowerShell or Tracefmt.exe Charles Allen’s Blog
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-version-1607
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/read-w...-in-windows-10

Basic suggestions:
    1. Check your file system
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

2. Run
    SFC /Scannow
    from an admin command prompt

3. Disconnect any unnecessary peripherals

4. Read posts on the update here in the News section to see what people's experiences were.

Hope that may help a little.

dalchina, May 1, 2017
  5. Alicia J Win User
    Yes I did do a search on the forum, but in the wee hours of the morning, much too late for a clear look. I do also have a complete back up on a separate drive. *Wink

Thank you for your answer. I'll work my way thru it.

Update:

I followed the links to the latest update KB3150513 Which was just installed on my system last night.

Alicia J, May 1, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I've just reread your first- prompted by that comment. I realise I made an assumption you were still stuck on that update. Sorry about that. So... here's a better answer (I think).

401538 was ok for some people, but failed for many others- so MS replaced it.

So, if you have any later updates which installed successfully subsequent to that, you're ok - Nothing to do.
    Since updates are generally cumulative (including previous updates), it follows that if you have updates later than that one installed, you don't need to install 401538

If that's the case, that's why downloading it and trying to install it failed- because it's not needed.

Having said all that, there's no harm whatsoever in doing routine checks/maintenance and run chkdsk and sfc /scannow, and possibly some good.

Could you post a screenshot of your Update History?

I'm now wondering if you're saying you're not getting updates automatically- it sounds like your last was manually downloaded.

dalchina, May 1, 2017
  7. Alicia J Win User
    KB4015438 failed to install automatically with windows update and did not install after a manual download saying it wasn't required for my system.

When I got up this AM I noticed that last night KB3150513 had installed automatically thru windows update.

Here is a shot of my update history:

Why is KB4015438 offered by windows update and fail to install? [​IMG]

Alicia J, May 1, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

That's encouraging..
    1. Windows update is working
    2. You have a current update installed

So you've definitely no need to worry about that failing update- it's history. Nothing to do - it's been superceded.

But what I noticed today - and you can see the same- is the SAME update being installed successfully more than once.

In yours, you can see 3150513 on 22 Apr and 1 May.

Now that's strange.. I wonder if there's any comment on this on the forum...

dalchina, May 1, 2017
  9. Alicia J Win User
    I hadn't noticed the two installs of the same update. That is odd. I didn't see any comment on this forum, or other websites I tried.

Alicia J, May 1, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
  11. Alicia J Win User
    Interesting. I wonder why my search of KB didn't bring this up. Anyway, thanks for your help with this install issue.

Alicia J, May 1, 2017
  12. Alicia J Win User
    Interesting. Anyway, thanks for your help with this install issue.

Alicia J, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is KB4015438 offered by windows update and fail to install? - Similar Threads - Why KB4015438 offered

2. Why wouldn't Windows Update offer this driver update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why wouldn't Windows Update offer this driver update?: I had the really old driver installed from my motherboard manufacturer, but I found an updated driver inside Windows Update. Expanded it, manually chose to update to it, and now it's working fine.Why didn't Windows Update offer this as an optional driver through it's UI? I...
  3. Why wouldn't Windows Update offer this driver update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why wouldn't Windows Update offer this driver update?: I had the really old driver installed from my motherboard manufacturer, but I found an updated driver inside Windows Update. Expanded it, manually chose to update to it, and now it's working fine.Why didn't Windows Update offer this as an optional driver through it's UI? I...
  4. Why wouldn't Windows Update offer this driver update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why Security Updates fails to install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Security Updates fails to install?: Hi I have a pretty new HP Laptop with Windows 10 and I use it for study purposes. I am having an issue from the past month. Security updates show up in settings but the fail to install with error 0x80070643. Other updates are successfully installing also in windows security...
  6. Why Security Updates fails to install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Security Updates fails to install?: Hi I have a pretty new HP Laptop with Windows 10 and I use it for study purposes. I am having an issue from the past month. Security updates show up in settings but the fail to install with error 0x80070643. Other updates are successfully installing also in windows security...
  7. Why Security Updates fails to install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. KB4056892 not offered for update; manual install fails 0x80073715

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4056892 not offered for update; manual install fails 0x80073715: The Meltdown patch has not been offered so far for update on my Win10 Pro (build 1709) laptop. It also fails the PowerShell script that MS provided to check if your system is vulnerable. It is NOT an AMD system, and I'm using Windows Defender for antivirus protection. When...
  9. KB4015438 and KB4013429 fail to install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4015438 and KB4013429 fail to install: I have not been able to install these updates. Searches suggest going to the Microsoft updates acalogue to download stand alone updates but if you can see my attachment all I get at that website is a plain blue screen. 80204
  10. Cumulative Update KB4015438 for Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.969

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB4015438 for Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.969: UPDATE: This cumulative update KB4015438 has been replaced by KB4016635 on March 22nd 2017. Improvements and fixes This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include: Addressed a...