Windows 10: Why is Mark Partition Active Greyed out in Disk Management?

Discus and support Why is Mark Partition Active Greyed out in Disk Management? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Yesterday I used Disk Management on a couple of 16GB USB flash drives to create a New Simple Volume ran a Full Format on them both as FAT32 with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sportsfan148, May 20, 2018.

1. Why is Mark Partition Active Greyed out in Disk Management?

Hi, Yesterday I used Disk Management on a couple of 16GB USB flash drives to create a New Simple Volume ran a Full Format on them both as FAT32 with a single partition. Both of them are set up as MBR drives so theres no issue there.
    Then I decided I'd like to mark one of them as Active so I could set it up as a bootable installation flash drive.
    On both of the flash drives when I right click on the drive the "Mark Partition as Active" option is greyed out.
    Can anyone explain why?

:)

sportsfan148, May 20, 2018

2. unmark a partition as "active"

Hello Bob,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Please be informed that marking a partition as active on a basic disk means that the computer will use the loader (an operating system tool) on that partition to start the operating system. An active partition is a partition on a hard drive set as the bootable
    partition that contains the operating system. So it is not advisable to configure anything related to boot partition.

Please follow the below steps to unmark the partition as active:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• Type in diskpart and press Enter.
    • To identify which disk you need to work with. Type the command: list disk.

This will list all the drives connected to your computer.

• To select the disk enter the command: select disk n

"n" will correspond to the disk # for the ssd you are referring to.

• To list all the partitions on the disk enter the command:
      list partition

• To select a partition use: select partition n

Substitute "n" correctly and it will select the particular partitions on that drive.

• To unmark the current partition as active use the command line:
      inactive

• Exit the command prompt using command:
      exit

• Reboot the system to let the changes happen.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 21, 2018
  3. unmark a partition as "active"

After changing to active partition my computer doesn't boot so what can I do now?

Ayush Chandra, May 21, 2018
  4. Why is Mark Partition Active Greyed out in Disk Management?

Hi, Yesterday I used Disk Management on a couple of 16GB USB flash drives to create a New Simple Volume ran a Full Format on them both as FAT32 with a single partition. Both of them are set up as MBR drives so theres no issue there.
    Then I decided I'd like to mark one of them as Active so I could set it up as a bootable installation flash drive.
    On both of the flash drives when I right click on the drive the "Mark Partition as Active" option is greyed out.
    Can anyone explain why?

:)

sportsfan148, May 24, 2018
Thema:

Why is Mark Partition Active Greyed out in Disk Management?

1. Why is Mark Partition Active Greyed out in Disk Management? - Similar Threads - Why Mark Partition

2. Extend volume in Disk Management, greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend volume in Disk Management, greyed out: 1. Previously, I deleted the New Volume D: using Delete Volume, in Disk Management. Then I restarted the PC. Unallocated space of 488.28 GB was visible, but Extend Volume option was greyed out after right-clicking on OS C:.2. In Control Panel\System and Security\BitLocker...
  3. Extend volume in Disk Management, greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extend volume in Disk Management, greyed out: 1. Previously, I deleted the New Volume D: using Delete Volume, in Disk Management. Then I restarted the PC. Unallocated space of 488.28 GB was visible, but Extend Volume option was greyed out after right-clicking on OS C:.2. In Control Panel\System and Security\BitLocker...
  4. Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out: I have a 1TB HDD I'm trying to set up as an external storage drive. Plugged it in, enclosure power light is on and the disk is running, but doesn't show up in My Computer. The drive does show up in Disk Management and in the Device Manager, but literally every option to...
  5. Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out: I have a 1TB HDD I'm trying to set up as an external storage drive. Plugged it in, enclosure power light is on and the disk is running, but doesn't show up in My Computer. The drive does show up in Disk Management and in the Device Manager, but literally every option to...
  6. Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Greyed Out App With Exclamation Mark

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Greyed Out App With Exclamation Mark: When I try to use Microsoft Store, the application icon is greyed out with an exclamation mark. When I click on it, nothing happens, and even when I go to the Microsoft Store website I can't download anything because when I click download nothing happens. How do I fix this?...
  8. Greyed Out Apps With Exclamation Mark

Greyed Out Apps With Exclamation Mark: When I try to use Microsoft Store, the application icon is greyed out with an exclamation mark. When I click on it, nothing happens, and even when I go to the Microsoft Store website I can't download anything because when I click download nothing happens. How do I fix this?...
  9. Greyed out Microsoft Store with Exclamation Mark

Greyed out Microsoft Store with Exclamation Mark: Hello everyone I reinstalled Windows around Christmas and noticed today that the Microsoft Store App can't be opened. The app is greyed out and has an exclamation mark in the bottom right cornersee screenshot. I have looked around for a solution and while some have...
  10. Marked the wrong partition as active

in Windows 10 Support
    Marked the wrong partition as active: While trying to solve a different problem i followed an article: You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup, 0xc1900104 In which i went into disk managment and marked a different partition as active which does not have an OS, how can i revert back to the other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mark partition as active greyed out

2. mark partition as active is greyed out 10

3. why mark partition as active is not working

4. cannot mark partition as active greyed out,
  5. set partition as active windows 10 greyed out