Windows 10: why is my processes in task manager showing ports like 100028,103904 ?

Discus and support why is my processes in task manager showing ports like 100028,103904 ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am on W10 x64. This is unusual . I haven't seen port number that high .I know only 65535 are possible in any windows system. I am attaching a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by smr1994, Jun 22, 2016.

1. smr1994 Win User

why is my processes in task manager showing ports like 100028,103904 ?

I am on W10 x64. This is unusual . I haven't seen port number that high .I know only 65535 are possible in any windows system. I am attaching a screenshot

:)

smr1994, Jun 22, 2016

2. why is my task manager under processes tab disk 50% under performance tab disk 100% and computer freezing

Hello Kay,

If the tasks you're doing requires more resources than the capacity of your hardware, then you might experience lagging issues. However, you can still perform your tasks. We recommend that you see this article:

Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10
    and follow the on-screen instructions.

Keep us posted with the result.

Regile Reb, Jun 22, 2016
  3. kayydee Win User
    why is my task manager under processes tab disk 50% under performance tab disk 100% and computer freezing

In task manager under processes tab my laptop says disk 50% under performance tab it says 100% i changed my hard drive because my old hard drive had bad sectors. This hdd has less space then my old one the old one didn't freeze like this one does but the
    computer freezes for a second and sometimes longer. The disk usage isn't always 50% but when it does get that high my computer freezes, this happens when I'm downloading, installing or sometimes idk what causes it. I have a G75vx ASUS running windows 10 hdd
    500 gb

kayydee, Jun 22, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

It's a Process ID (PID) not port number.

topgundcp, Jun 22, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Microsoft has made it quite clear that we should attach to significance to the size of process id numbers. While the numbers are unusual I don't think they mean anything, at least none that has been documented.

In the past Windows tried to keep these values low but this was only for cosmetic reasons. Maybe that has changed?

In Linux a process ID cannot exceed 65535 but that is not the case in Windows. I have heard of process IDs over 400000 in busy servers.

Edit: Port numbers , as used in TCP/IP networking, are limited to 65535 but a PID is something very different and not related in any way.

A PID is an arbitrary number that uniquely identifies a process or thread. When the process or thread terminates the number is eventually recycled. It is officially documented as a DWORD, meaning it can have a value from 0 to 4,294,967,295. Officially a PID can be any value in that range. Currently it is a multiple of 4 but that is merely an implementation detail that could change at any time. In Windows 95 PIDs in fact had values in the high end of that range but as Task Manager did not show PIDs that was not well known. In early beta versions of Windows 2000 PIDs often had high values, causing concern that this indicated some kind of error. So in later versions Windows tried to keep the values low, purely for cosmetic reasons. That policy may have changed. But don't expect to see documentation regarding changes in undocumented behavior.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. why is my processes in task manager showing ports like 100028,103904 ? - Similar Threads - why processes task

2. Task Manager doesn't show processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager doesn't show processes: Hello, I have the same problem described in this other Microsoft issue, with the only difference I am on windows 11. Task manager doesn't show processes but the other tabs and graphs work correctly. The thing is, for me process explorer and process hacker task manager...
  3. Task Manager doesn't show processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager doesn't show processes: Hello, I have the same problem described in this other Microsoft issue, with the only difference I am on windows 11. Task manager doesn't show processes but the other tabs and graphs work correctly. The thing is, for me process explorer and process hacker task manager...
  4. "Task Manager" processes

"Task Manager" processes: More of a question of curiosity than an issue ATM. I hope I chose the correct place to post.A few details before I proceed, if needed. I have a Dell Optiplex 3130 that came with Windows 7 Pro, I've upgraded to windows 10 Pro. All updates are current as of two or three days...
  5. "Task Manager" processes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Task Manager" processes: More of a question of curiosity than an issue ATM. I hope I chose the correct place to post.A few details before I proceed, if needed. I have a Dell Optiplex 3130 that came with Windows 7 Pro, I've upgraded to windows 10 Pro. All updates are current as of two or three days...
  6. Task Manager Processes

Task Manager Processes: I was cleaning up processed in Task Manager and must have deleted something I shouldn't have. The appearance of the text in emails and web pages don't look as good. They don't look as crisp and the lines aren't all solid. I'm not sure what to do?...
  7. task manager processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    task manager processes: I was going through my task manager and suddenly I saw a process which had Microsoft icon four coloured boxes .it suddenly disappeared. I want to know that which process was that because I have never seen it before....
  8. task manager processes

task manager processes: I was going through my task manager and suddenly I saw a process which had Microsoft icon four coloured boxes .it suddenly disappeared. I want to know that which process was that because I have never seen it before....
  9. Processes / Task Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Processes / Task Manager: i have approximately 150-170 processes in task manager every time i open my laptop, is this normal or not ? and my laptop often get hot when i do simpel task like browsing is there any setting that microsoft can do to reduce the processes in task manager? [ATTACH]...
  10. Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana

Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana: I just did a fresh install and update to 1803 Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana And she’ll experience and background host for cortana What can cause this? 114460