Windows 10: why is my start menu folders greyed out?

Discus and support why is my start menu folders greyed out? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] Everything is greyed out. How do I fix this? 14766 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Danny121, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Danny121 Win User

why is my start menu folders greyed out?

why is my start menu folders greyed out? [​IMG]
    Everything is greyed out. How do I fix this?

:)

Danny121, Aug 9, 2015
  2. Bill A57 Win User

Start menu not working Windows 10

The steps outline above did solve the start menu, notification action center, clock and volume control issue., however, the search box on the task bar does not work. Also I cannot add folders to appear on Start. The choices are greyed out.

Also the problem with msconfig stated in my post above has not been resolved. I cannot check and apply normal bootup items. Which may account for why there are still some problems with Start and Search box

Bill A57, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Can't choose folders to appear on Start Menu

There's an easier way to fix it than khronosangel suggest (in case you have links in \Start Menu Places but they didn't show in Start menu and options greyed out)

1. Move all shortcuts from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places to any folder.

2. Reboot

3. Move all those shortcuts back to Start Menu Places folder.

4. Reboot

That's it!

At least worked for me on 10240 build.

Sergium Speedfreak, Aug 9, 2015
  4. tracit99 Win User

Is windows activated?

tracit99, Aug 9, 2015
  5. Danny121 Win User
    Yes windows is activated.

Danny121, Aug 9, 2015
  6. Danny121 Win User
    Is there a fix for this?

Danny121, Aug 9, 2015
  7. tracit99 Win User
    I do not know the answer to your question. The reason I asked if Windows 10 is activated is because you cannot personalize until it is activated.

tracit99, Aug 9, 2015
  8. Danny121 Win User

why is my start menu folders greyed out? [​IMG]

But it is activated.

Danny121, Aug 9, 2015
  9. Danny121 Win User
    I need help people. I'd appreciate it.

Danny121, Aug 9, 2015
  10. Danny121 Win User
    Is anyone gonna help or shall I just delete this thread?

Danny121, Aug 9, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    Danny121
    It take time for the right people to see your post. It could take over 24 hours for help.

I am not sure I can help you but have you tried to turn the settings to off and see if that fixes the issue?

groze, Aug 9, 2015
  12. Danny121 Win User
    Sorry I'm just new to this website. Its my first post but anyway I tried that still nothing. My windows is activated and ever since i've done a system restore I haven't been able to add my start menu folders because its greyed out. I don't know what else too do. I'm really considering changing back to 7 if i have too. It's just frustrating.

Danny121, Aug 9, 2015
  13. why is my start menu folders greyed out?

actually there's already an existing thread to that.

Check out my reply for the work around,
    Start menu Personalization Disabled - Windows 10 Forums

khronosangel, Aug 9, 2015
  14. Try creating a new user account to determine the scope of the issue.

If you cannot access the options on the new account, try this:

Open an elevated Command Prompt (right click, Run as administrator)
    Enter the following command

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Post if there are any errors on the screen after it runs.
    Full tutorial: DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, Aug 9, 2015
  15. XweAponX Win User
    If it's activated, all that should be accessible. Try rebooting. And try what slartybart said.

XweAponX, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

1. why is my start menu folders greyed out? - Similar Threads - why start menu

2. Why are some Start menu icon groups greyed out?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are some Start menu icon groups greyed out?: Hi. There are two parts to this question about the Start menu icon groups.1. Why won't it let me move the TextPad icon bottom left into the gap in the gap in the icon group above it?2. Why have several icon groups all apart from Misc and Games suddenly greyed-out?And how can...
  3. Why are some Start menu icon groups greyed out?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why are some Start menu icon groups greyed out?: Hi. There are two parts to this question about the Start menu icon groups.1. Why won't it let me move the TextPad icon bottom left into the gap in the gap in the icon group above it?2. Why have several icon groups all apart from Misc and Games suddenly greyed-out?And how can...
  4. Why are some Start menu icon groups greyed out?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Start Menu looks greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu looks greyed out: Hi Team,As part our product we install the application on top of Windows. When we were using Windows 10 LTSB 2016 we were not facing any issues with Start Menu, after we migrated to Windows 10 LTSC 2019 we started to see an issue of Start Menu being greyed out Key board works...
  6. Start Menu looks greyed out

Start Menu looks greyed out: Hi Team,As part our product we install the application on top of Windows. When we were using Windows 10 LTSB 2016 we were not facing any issues with Start Menu, after we migrated to Windows 10 LTSC 2019 we started to see an issue of Start Menu being greyed out Key board works...
  7. Start Menu looks greyed out

8. Settings folder greyed out in Start folder options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings folder greyed out in Start folder options: As per the title, the settings option is not displayed on the Start menu I can still access it from the Task Bar and the Start options shows the option as greyed out.Any idea what's wrong?...
  9. Settings folder greyed out in Start folder options

Settings folder greyed out in Start folder options: As per the title, the settings option is not displayed on the Start menu I can still access it from the Task Bar and the Start options shows the option as greyed out.Any idea what's wrong?...
  10. Text & icons in start menu greyed out

Text & icons in start menu greyed out: Hello everyone, I'm in need of assistance. You see just recently I've reseted the Local Group Policy settings on my computer through the command prompt method. Though after the process was complete I discovered that there was a problem with my start menu. All the text &...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why are my start folders just plain