Windows 10: Why is network sharing with android devices so slow using samba shares

Discus and support Why is network sharing with android devices so slow using samba shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have found with Windows 10 that if I make a drive or directory available for use over a lan, using standard windows shares, and then try to copy a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cereberus, Mar 9, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Why is network sharing with android devices so slow using samba shares

I have found with Windows 10 that if I make a drive or directory available for use over a lan, using standard windows shares, and then try to copy a file to or from an android device, it is very slow, and at best I get 4 Mbits/second.

However, if I use http protocols, I get 40 Mbits/s i.e. ten times as fast! This increase relies on wifi direct rather than via main router. If I go via main router, I typical get 12-15 Mbits/s which is faster than samba sharing but still quite slow.

I now use an android app called "fast file transfer" instead of tools like ES file explorer as a result.

:)

cereberus, Mar 9, 2017

2. SMB writes to remote computer freezes or dropps to 5kbs after creator update

After installing Windows [Version 10.0.15063] my access to NAS (RaspberryPI with USB disks connected) is nearly impossible.

Coping even few megabytes to the NAS takes a long time (minutes) and often does not finish - no errors on the Samba end , just connection from Windows goes dead. Speed seems to be around 5KB/s.

Same network and same NAS with my laptop :
    Windows [Version 10.0.14393] and all is working fine - 20+ MB/s - which is what I can expect from this setup and is enough for documents and source code backups.

Reading from the NAS Samba share is fast.

Reading from the laptops' share is fast.

Writing to laptops' share is 5KB/s slow as well. Laptop is sharing folder using the normal Windows SMB. All Microsoft.

Writing to NAS share , SAMBA , is slow.

Looks like any writes I do from the Creator Update computer are slow. Very Slow.

Has anybody got similar problem or solutions to a very slow , unreliable connection to SMB/Samba after the creators update?

PawelWarnenski, Mar 9, 2017
  3. EckiS Win User
    EckiS, Mar 9, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

What's the android device you are using -- is it a phone or a tablet --- if it's a phone are you using 3g / 4g or wifi.

Decent LAN connection should give you up to 1 Gib/s (you won't get that on HDD transfer in practice but you should easily be able to do around 400 Mib/s).

If you are over Wifi then max spec at 5GHZ is around 433 Mib/s - and that's HALF duplex so I'm surprised that your LAN is slower than wifi - also LAN is FULL duplex.

Remember also copying files to / from Android devices also requires protocol conversion as Android / Linux based systems have something like FUSE in the kernel to handle read / writes to NTFS file systems.

Confused here !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 9, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    I have a gigabit lan and wifi around 150 Mb/s so assuming half, to get around 40 Mb/s allowing for software protocol is not too bad when using http protocols to transfer data but when I try to do standard Samba share copying it is painfully slow - it is not a hardware issue but an smb protocol issue.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is network sharing with android devices so slow using samba shares - Similar Threads - Why network sharing

2. Nearby Sharing Not showing Android Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nearby Sharing Not showing Android Device: Hi,Whenever I try to share files from my Android Device to my Windows Pc using Nearby Sharing The pc and the mobile dose not detect each other but when I try to share files through my PC to my Laptop, they both detect each other. I'm on Windows 10 latest version and my...
  3. Connecting to a Samba Share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  4. why will network and Sharing Center Advanced sharing settings not save Turn on sharing so...

why will network and Sharing Center Advanced sharing settings not save Turn on sharing so...: Why is Microsoft updates team so stupid, lazy, corrupt, or ignorant that they cannot check before an update what that computer network advanced sharing settings are and then return them correctly after an update? This farce has been going on for over two years, and they...
  5. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP to NAS / SAMBA shares: Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system. (The NAS can usually by default...
  6. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  7. Samba share doesn't work

Samba share doesn't work: Hi, I have Vbox with Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS installed on it. My host is Win 10 (Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240). I've tried to get my samba share working for the whole day. I asked in #Windows, #ubuntu, #samba, #php, everywhere. I've googled and googled and googled.......
  8. Unable to See Samba Share

Unable to See Samba Share: Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it short. I have a headless ubuntu server that has a samba server. It's connected to the network with a cable (not wifi) and has a static IP. My desktop (also wired with static IP) is unable to see the samba share at all: not when I go to the...
  9. Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow

Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow: I have a Linux server with file shares on my local network. My problem is with writing data to those shares from my Windows 10 Home PC. The problem manifests with data writes that are exceedingly slow (not greater than 300 kB/sec) and generally time out before they complete....
  10. Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share

Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share: Hey folks, I've got an issue that's been bugging me since windows 7. I've got a debian server on my network running samba and plex. I usually add media to it through samba from my windows computers. Only now with my laptop, I'm having a strange issue. Every time I try to...