Windows 10: Why is only 2TB of my new 3TB drive showing up ?

Discus and support Why is only 2TB of my new 3TB drive showing up ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought a 3 TB drive today, to replace my, existing 1 TB drive which was 95% full. This is my "D" drive and is data only, no OS on it. Its actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Janning, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Janning Win User

Why is only 2TB of my new 3TB drive showing up ?

I bought a 3 TB drive today, to replace my, existing 1 TB drive which was 95% full. This is my "D" drive and is
    data only, no OS on it. Its actually all my WEB server data, for IIS.
    My plan was to use Paragon Hard Disk manager and clone my existing 1 TB, D drive to the new 3 TB drive which was
    on an external ESATA. In the past I've successfully used Paragon to clone my OS drives from spinning to SSD.
    Sometimes the Source drive has been bigger than Target, other times vice-versa...have never had an issue.
    Being this is data only, my main reason for using a clone instead of copy is to capture all the security, network
    and other drive specific windows settings...not having to go in and redo all that. I'm figuring if Paragon has
    successfully cloned an OS, this should be a breeze...and it was ...cloned and swapped.

My issue, I notice my 3 TB drive, windows is only "seeing" 2TB. (2048 GB) and leaving 746.52 GB as unallocated.
    Windows disk manager screen shot below:

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/Wind...ly_two/ss1.jpg

I'm guessing I could make an "E" drive of 746 GB...but, I'd rather have all 3TB on the "D" drive.
    Using Minitool partition wizard I try to extend...and get "not enough free space" (I'm using 779 GB of the 2048 GB)

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/Wind...ly_two/ss2.jpg

Going back to Paragon...and trying to resize the partition...it shows the max as 2,097,151MB

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/Wind...ly_two/ss3.jpg

I'm sure...or am hoping this is an easy solution, but don't want to "just try something" and loose a lot of data.

Please advise.

:)

Janning, Jan 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 deleted partition - What I found out

I tired to update from Windows 10 build 10586 to Windows 10 build 14393 a few weeks ago and my HDD(a 3TB HDD) got wiped. Windows10 wiped the partition. Investigating what happened I found out the 2TB of a 3TB HDD was gone. I have not been able to find the
    2TB partition or recovery any file. The 3TB HDD only showed a 100MB recovery drive and 786GB of unallocated space because the HDD started out as a Windows 7 HDD. Using Mini Tool Partition Wizard I discovered 7 boot partitions 3MB in size, a 250 GB partition,
    and a 100 MB partition, all which were not visible using Drive Management under Windows 10. I attached this 3TB HDD using an enclosure to another Windows 10 computer. Basically Windows 10 turned this 3TB HDD to a 746GB HDD. The 2TB partition is not recoverable.
    So Windows 10 cost my not only the software I lost but 2TB of HDD space. Now I have to add that I have a Laptop and another computer that started out as Windows 7 that I have very little or no problem with Windows 10 or the updates but neither of these computer
    contain alot of additional software like the one Windows 10 killed the HDD on. I turned the unallocated drive to a logical drive and assigned it a letter and then it showed 273 GB of used space. I then looked a this partition using the Mini Tool software and
    it showed files, so I turned the logical drive into a primary where I was able to check the files in windows explorer. My point is I was able to recover files. This is what happened to me.

MCpbll_725, Jan 1, 2017
  3. MoVo123 Win User
    Data on 3tb drive lost after windows 10 upgrade

Hi

I have 2 hard drive on my PC a 250GB drive for the OS and 3tb drive for data. I installed windows 10 on the 250GB drive and now my 3TB drive has lost all its data and connot be accessed. What did the windows installtion do to my 3TB drive. I did not select
    any option for it to touch that drive. Please explain how I can get my data back. The 3TB drive shows in disk manager a 2TB drive with 700GB unallocated. You should warn your consumers that they will lose their data if they upgrade!

MoVo123, Jan 1, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jan 1, 2017
  5. Janning Win User
    Well, that would explain it. So, the answer is ...to start over and use GPT? I assume I would do this at the windows disk manager and go from there, reformat to 3TB...and then clone my other 1TB (old drive) back to it?

Janning, Jan 1, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jan 1, 2017
  7. Janning Win User
    Ah...too late, I used windows manger to convert...lost my data, but, paragon will slap it back on there. I did notice in paragon, it saw it as 3TB...but, the "max clone' is still 2 TB. This is fine, as my data is less than half of that. I assume when done, I may again only have a 2 TB drive, but, now should be able to extend to capture the unallocated not that it is GPT?

Janning, Jan 1, 2017
  8. Janning Win User

I did the convert in windows drive manager to GPT, then recloned with PARAGON, ..it saw the 3 TB...but, when I cloned it said max size is 2TB...I see now, it is "cloning" an MBR drive, to a GPT formatted drive....when I try to extend i am getting:

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/Wind...ly_two/ss4.jpg

What do I do in this case? I want to clone to keep the many settings on this drive. Is there a way to convert without loosing my data?

Janning, Jan 1, 2017
  9. Janning Win User
    Why is only 2TB of my new 3TB drive showing up ? [​IMG]

Janning, Jan 1, 2017
  10. Janning Win User
    Janning, Jan 1, 2017
  11. Janning Win User
    I used Paragon to convert MBR to GPT, and this seems to have worked. It had to reboot and run during start up for exclusive access. I have checked disk size, it is now 3TB, and no data loss.

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/Wind...ly_two/ss6.jpg

I have security, permissions and windows indexing on this drive that I did not want to redo, this seems to have cloned over successfully.

Janning, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is only 2TB of my new 3TB drive showing up ? - Similar Threads - Why 2TB 3TB

2. EXTERNAL 3 TB Toshiba disk not showing up as 3TB only 746 GB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXTERNAL 3 TB Toshiba disk not showing up as 3TB only 746 GB: I'm having the following issue under Windows 11-Pro 64-bitThe TOSHIBA 3TB disk is connect using SATA via USB3 and only shows 746 GBI cannot get it to show the full capacity neither using AOMEI PArttion tool or any other toolDisk ### Status Size Free Dyn...
  3. EXTERNAL 3 TB Toshiba disk not showing up as 3TB only 746 GB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXTERNAL 3 TB Toshiba disk not showing up as 3TB only 746 GB: I'm having the following issue under Windows 11-Pro 64-bitThe TOSHIBA 3TB disk is connect using SATA via USB3 and only shows 746 GBI cannot get it to show the full capacity neither using AOMEI PArttion tool or any other toolDisk ### Status Size Free Dyn...
  4. 4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985) Version: 10.0.19042 I have 2 Seagate Barracuda drives that only show as 2tb. They are gpt. This is since using them in raid in nas. tried everything in this thread Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT...
  5. 3tb hard drive showing up as 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3tb hard drive showing up as 2: i recently had to redownload windows 10 because it wasnt booting, my 3tb hard drive was only showing up as 2tb, i ignored it for a while but now i am running low on storage how do i get my extra tb?...
  6. windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update: sorry this is my first post here so im not too sure how your suppose to say what i mean so im just gonna say it. last night my computer needed an update so when i shut it down it asked me to update and shut down and today when i turned it back on windows stopped working so...
  7. New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB

New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB: I bought the Seagate barracuda 3TB and it shows as 746GB on my another computer with Windows Vista SP2 32-bit in GPT mode. I have asked this problem at Seagate forum and the one guy who replied didn't know how to solve it. I am using the 3TB Seagate drive in my Rosewill...
  8. New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB

in Windows 10 Support
    New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB: I bought the Seagate barracuda 3TB and it shows as 746GB on my another computer with Windows Vista SP2 32-bit in GPT mode. I have asked this problem at Seagate forum and the one guy who replied didn't know how to solve it. I am using the 3TB Seagate drive in my Rosewill...
  9. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive: Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB 49877
  10. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive: Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB drive to add as a secondary drive. Just my luck only 746gb show. I tried everything but all i can find on google is for intel chipsets. When attempting to run the driver...