Windows 10: Why is system restore disabled by default?

Discus and support Why is system restore disabled by default? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; SR was on by default on my clean install. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TairikuOkami, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Why is system restore disabled by default?

SR was on by default on my clean install.

z31fanatic, Aug 9, 2015
  2. linw Win User

Seems a mixed bag. I have seen more than one instance of it being set off.

3. Dch48 Win User
    I had it disabled in 8.1 and after the upgrade to 10, it was enabled again. I have since disabled it. It is not disabled by default.

Dch48, Aug 9, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

Why is system restore disabled by default?

Except when it is.
    I've done a couple of clean installs in the last few days, and had to switch it on manually both times.

DavidY, Aug 9, 2015
  5. Dch48 Win User
    Maybe it's a case of the sync function applying a setting you have or had on another 8.1 or 10 machine. That can happen if you log in with a MS account. I had sync also turned off in 8.1 so my setting never got saved in the cloud. I believe all the sync options are turned on by default in Win 10.

I turned System restore off after my 10 upgrade where it defaulted to on and then again after the cumulative update on the 5th turned it back on.

Dch48, Aug 10, 2015
  6. Dch48 Win User
    I have never had to use it so I always turn it off. It takes up space and the files can not be defragmented by the defrag program I use which is Puran. I've also read about many instances where System restore fails to fix a problem or even causes additional problems. Restoring a full system Image is a better way to go.

Dch48, Aug 10, 2015
  7. Bazz Win User
    I had it turned on in 7 and it was disabled after the upgrade.

8. DavidY Win User

I generally install with a local account and not an MS Account. If it was trying to sync, it wouldn't find anything - perhaps why mine are generally switched off?

DavidY, Aug 10, 2015
  9. Ever notice most of the people with problems are using laptops/notebooks with little to no support for Win 10?

fracking4oil, Aug 10, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    I agree with your analysis. I have 61 GB assigned to windows. After upgrading Windows (from 7 to 10) system protection was set on on my C:\ drive.

Following an in-place upgrade of 10 it was turned off as there wasn't (presumably) enough space left. I turned it on using the GUI though as it seemed easier than a registry change.

11. Barry Win User
    I also found the System Restore was turned off after the last W10 update, but why?
    Why should windows update turn it off?

Barry, Nov 21, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Wasn't on my system, just in Advanced Settings >> Startup and Recovery >> Automatically Restart was turned back on. I like to keep it off, so I can go to UEFI recovery options.

Cliff S, Nov 21, 2015
  13. Sayjimwoo Win User

System Restore has always been enabled for me on Windows 7-10 and I always manually disable it.
    I find that I have to disable it at least 3 times as it re-enables itself without telling you. Eventually it takes the hint and stays off.
    I would rather re-format than ever use System Restore that causes more problems than it fixes. The feature should be removed from Windows completely.

Sayjimwoo, Nov 21, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Yup, I use/used Macrium in Win10 & 8.1, and in Win7 I just used the backup and image tool. a reimage to last known good one, is a lot better*Smile

Cliff S, Nov 21, 2015
  15. I could never see myself re-formatting my system every time I need to fix something System Restore would be able to fix. When I first installed W10 I did a couple things to see what they did. Three times in one week System Restore fixed it. Each one took only 15 minutes max, and I didn't lose my stuff. I just carried on to try the next thing. I can't see re-formatting, re-setting up everything, installing all programs, and getting everything back to where they were before three times in that week. I decided to let the system do it's thing after the third time, and haven't needed to use restore again. I've never had issues with System Restore even on 7. It saved me more than I'd like to admit.

Bobby Phoenix, Nov 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Why is system restore disabled by default? - Similar Threads - Why system restore

2. How to restore default System icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to restore default System icons: i tried to delete some font but ended up deleting the default icon pack of windows 10 please help me out [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-default-system-icons/0a5049a9-d01d-41ab-a636-3ccf53fd52b7
  3. How to restore default system fonts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to restore default system fonts?: [ATTACH] Hi all, I'm a designer and recently installed some very bold variants of Helvetica Neue on my PC. It works fine for my purposes but has taken over as the default system font - as you can see in the attached screenshot of a random webpage. Wherever another font is...
  4. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  5. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  6. System Restore button disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore button disabled: I have a brand new computer with Windows 10 Home version on it, and I am trying to change the System Restore settings. However, the System Restore button is disable. What can I do to re-enable this?...
  7. Restore/Reset System to defaults

Restore/Reset System to defaults: Hi, I bought a laptop Dell Inspiron 15 5000 5577 model 3 months ago. This was meant to be a temporary machine, as I was waiting for my primary laptop machine to be back from the service. Now Im not using this machine at all and I want to sell it. And for obvious reasons I...
  8. Why is System Restore not automatically activated as default?

Why is System Restore not automatically activated as default?: Is there a reason why system restore is not automatically activated as default in Windows 10? Does it work well or are there alternative solutions? My experience with Windows 7 was that it sometimes worked OK but not all the time and I had problems with recovery system...
  9. Disable System Restore

Disable System Restore: Hi, I need to do the following tasks in the System Restore: 1. Set Max Usage = 0 2. Delete all restore points 3. Disable System Restore Should be using Command Line. 1st and 2nd step I've no any idea how to do. For 3rd step: net stop srservice sc config...
  10. Why is system restore not enabled as default?

Why is system restore not enabled as default?: Hey Guys Is there a reason system restore is not enabled as default? Not needed any more/ is there now a better alternative ? Many thanks.... 12126