Windows 10: Why is system restore disabled by default?

Discus and support Why is system restore disabled by default? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am also in favour of having Restore set on. I don't use it very often but it certainly can fix the odd niggly thing with little disruption. I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TairikuOkami, Jul 31, 2015.

1. linw Win User

Why is system restore disabled by default?

I am also in favour of having Restore set on. I don't use it very often but it certainly can fix the odd niggly thing with little disruption.

I do service work for others and they don't have good backup regimes in place so perhaps those who take the sledge hammer approach to fixing minor things may like to reconsider leaving Restore on if they were in my position.

And, like Barry, it is not good to see upgrades switching restore off. I can remember to switch mine back on but my clients will have it off.

2. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

When first upgrading from a previous OS with "System Restore" disabled it's likely to follow you on all subsequent installs together with other settings that have been manipulated by the user.

That and a lack of storage space on the install partition are plausible explanations IMHO.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 22, 2015
  3. dalchina New Member
    I have not seen restore points created when installing MS updates- at least since the Nov. upgrade.
    That begins to smack of MS removing this feature..??
    But a restore point is still triggered by some installs (other than MS updates).

SR was
    a. disabled after an upgrade from win 8.1 (in which it was on)
    b. disabled after a clean install

dalchina, Nov 22, 2015
  4. Debbie Win User

I've set up new laptops here in UK for several friends/relatives since W10 came out and don't recall seeing SR switched on as default. I always make sure I turn it on and put a direct link to it on the desktop. I sure hope this function is never deprecated by MS. Just today an elderly relative rang me in total panic after her lappy went into a scam lock-down after she had clicked on a link on Facebook. Thankfully the taskbar with W10's start menu was still visible on screen so I was able to get her to the 'Desktop' folder to click on my SR link icon and SR saved the day!!

Debbie, Apr 2, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 2, 2017
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

The only advantage of having SR in the ON state is that it will do its thing without user interference unlike a backup/image which requires a brain to know when one is wise to make one.

That said, it would be a good idea to make people aware of the value of spending a few minutes to image their stuff and systems to an external drive or other reliable media.

Having MR Free installed and scheduled to run makes life soooo much easier.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 3, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Agreed- it's hugely convenient when SR works. And I even have a daily scheduled system restore point created.
    Best to use both 'cos of their various advantages and disadvantages.

I've tried things like Rollback RX a couple of times, but they are complicated in other respects.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is system restore disabled by default? - Similar Threads - Why system restore

2. How to restore default System icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to restore default System icons: i tried to delete some font but ended up deleting the default icon pack of windows 10 please help me out [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-default-system-icons/0a5049a9-d01d-41ab-a636-3ccf53fd52b7
  3. How to restore default system fonts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to restore default system fonts?: [ATTACH] Hi all, I'm a designer and recently installed some very bold variants of Helvetica Neue on my PC. It works fine for my purposes but has taken over as the default system font - as you can see in the attached screenshot of a random webpage. Wherever another font is...
  4. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  5. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  6. System Restore button disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore button disabled: I have a brand new computer with Windows 10 Home version on it, and I am trying to change the System Restore settings. However, the System Restore button is disable. What can I do to re-enable this?...
  7. Restore/Reset System to defaults

Restore/Reset System to defaults: Hi, I bought a laptop Dell Inspiron 15 5000 5577 model 3 months ago. This was meant to be a temporary machine, as I was waiting for my primary laptop machine to be back from the service. Now Im not using this machine at all and I want to sell it. And for obvious reasons I...
  8. Why is System Restore not automatically activated as default?

Why is System Restore not automatically activated as default?: Is there a reason why system restore is not automatically activated as default in Windows 10? Does it work well or are there alternative solutions? My experience with Windows 7 was that it sometimes worked OK but not all the time and I had problems with recovery system...
  9. Disable System Restore

Disable System Restore: Hi, I need to do the following tasks in the System Restore: 1. Set Max Usage = 0 2. Delete all restore points 3. Disable System Restore Should be using Command Line. 1st and 2nd step I've no any idea how to do. For 3rd step: net stop srservice sc config...
  10. Why is system restore not enabled as default?

Why is system restore not enabled as default?: Hey Guys Is there a reason system restore is not enabled as default? Not needed any more/ is there now a better alternative ? Many thanks.... 12126