Windows 10: Why is the ISO size different for Tech bench and MCT?

Discus and support Why is the ISO size different for Tech bench and MCT? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I downloaded Windows 10 64bit International English from techbench and the size is 4.09GB In both cases I selected Windows 10(not home or pro or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by avg, Mar 25, 2016.

1. AVG
    avg Win User

Why is the ISO size different for Tech bench and MCT?

I downloaded Windows 10 64bit International English from techbench and the size is 4.09GB
    In both cases I selected Windows 10(not home or pro or single language or n or kn just Windows 10)
    Language:British English(english international)
    64bit
    I created same iso using MCT and size is 3.38 GB.
    Why is there such a size difference?
    I compared the two iso using Winmerge and these difference showed up::

Why is the ISO size different for Tech bench and MCT? [​IMG]

Why is the ISO size different for Tech bench and MCT? [​IMG]

Left: iso from techbench
    Right: iso from MCT

The difference: 1) In sources folder techbench has Install.wim which is 3.59 GB while MCT has Install.ESD which is 2.87 GB

2)In sources folder techbench Boot.wim is 274,678 KB while MCT Boot.wim is 274,627 KB
    3)In sources folder techbench iso has no ws.dat file while MCT has ws.dat file.
    4)In root folder techbench iso has no MediaMeta.xml file while MCT iso contains it.

Download location for Techbench iso:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench
    Download location for MCT: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

:)

2. TeeCarter Win User

[RESOLVED] DISM "error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found" even with correct ISO and path

I understand why SFC works post DISM.

But that's not a logical answer for why DISM worked with the Tech Bench ISO. Your response doesn't justify why DISM worked with the Tech Bench ISO and why it didn't with all other previous Windows 10 ISOs, even though DISM still shows the version number
    as being 10.0.10586.0 and I'm running build 10586.104.

Nothing had changed on my system between using the previous ISO and the Tech Bench ISO (it hadn't even been restarted until AFTER running DISM using the Tech Bench ISO).

TeeCarter, Mar 25, 2016
  3. Tech Bench ISO

This link worked on my Windows Phone! Thank you all!!!

JucemarRibeiro, Mar 25, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Install.esd is a more compressed version than install.wim.

There is no difference although one may have more recent updates than the other included. Makes no difference as install updates quickly to latest version.

cereberus, Mar 25, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Hi AVG, welcome to Tenforums. Since you are obviously inquisitive, you may wish to look inside the .wim and .esd files to see why they vary. You can do this with the latest version of 7-Zip:

7-Zip

You can even use the 2-panel view to compare the two side by side.

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is the ISO size different for Tech bench and MCT? - Similar Threads - Why ISO size

2. Downloading Windows 7 From Tech Bench

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading Windows 7 From Tech Bench: Is Downloading Windows 7 Form This Method Is Legal?https://mobile.donanimhaber.com/windows-7-sp1-8-1-10-th1-2-rs1-iot-core-insider-preview-office-untouched-iso-javascript-hack--112095561...
  3. Downloading Windows 7 From Tech Bench

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloading Windows 7 From Tech Bench: Is Downloading Windows 7 Form This Method Is Legal?https://mobile.donanimhaber.com/windows-7-sp1-8-1-10-th1-2-rs1-iot-core-insider-preview-office-untouched-iso-javascript-hack--112095561...
  4. 20H2 Iso and MCT are different builds, An app default was reset...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    20H2 Iso and MCT are different builds, An app default was reset...: Hello everybody, I noticed that a 20H2 Iso and a stick made with the MCT and downloaded at the same time have different builds. Win10_20H2_German_x64.iso = 19042.508 MediaCreationTool20H2.exe = 19042.572 The ISO still has the September CUs from Windows and .net framework,...
  5. MCT / UPDATE ASSISTANT / ISO

MCT / UPDATE ASSISTANT / ISO: COULD YOU PLEASE SAY ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UPDATE ASSISTANT AND MEDIA CREATION TOOL / ISO FOR WINDOWS 10 2004 UPGARDE SAY ME THE DIFFEENCE , BENEFITS , ADVANTAGE ,DISADVANTAGE . PLEASE........
  6. Tech Bench Windows 8 et 8.1 ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Tech Bench Windows 8 et 8.1 ?: Hello Is there ISO Tech Bench for Windows 8 and 8.1 and for Windows 10 to use DSIM / source? Thank you. Best regards. 25089
  7. Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program: For those of you who work on computers for a living. {option one) https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html [/quote] Last edited by Brink; 06 Aug 2015 at 22:23. Reason: updated link 13619
  8. Tech Bench windows 8.1

Tech Bench windows 8.1: I saw a post regarding downloading windows 8.1 from Tech Bench. Is there anyway to download Windows Home Premium in the same way? Shipinomore 51209
  9. SHA1 / MD5 hashes for Tech Bench ISOs

SHA1 / MD5 hashes for Tech Bench ISOs: Hi guys, I've been having unusual difficulty in downloading a good Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench. I must have tried four or five times, only for the download to apparently complete well short of its correct size, or for it to complete but fail to mount properly,...
  10. Win 10 ISO MCT vs ISO-DL page

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 ISO MCT vs ISO-DL page: So there are 2 ways to download ISOs for Windows 10: Windows 10 <--- Downloads a tool you can use to generate your own ISO. and Windows 10 ISO <--- Downloads the ISO straight from MS (same as MSDN) If you try and access the second page from a Windows PC (with IE, FF...