Windows 10: Why is Windows 10 a must have OS?

Discus and support Why is Windows 10 a must have OS? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried to find a real product description on the MS site, but all I found were marketing vagaries and the usual hoopla that something (with no real... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Article 86, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Why is Windows 10 a must have OS?

I tried to find a real product description on the MS site, but all I found were marketing vagaries and the usual hoopla that something (with no real specifics) is a must have ... it's just marketing gibberish. From what I have gleaned from some forums is that windows 10 is targeted towards laptops and other portable devices ... I have a desktop with no touch-screen. I have also seen a lot of howling and confusion from those that have "upgraded". It sounds to me like another OS that's been released (and God knows why) way to soon. I'm a 'geezer' that was initiated on Fortran punch cards, and so on, and on, and on. I beta tested Windows 3.0a and simulators for MS just for the fun of it, however I am light years past that point, where the thought beta testing yet another MS OS is the last thing I have time for. This is what MS has become infamous for ... using customers as extended Beta Testers, and this ploy seems to be accepted more every year. For MS, updates = patches ... something that should be done by R&D and not us. I've had my fill.

I hope that someone here can provide me with some specific and substantial improvements that Windows 10 has over Windows 7. Please don't reply with vague one-liner answers, or off topic links.

- Art

:)

Article 86, Jun 24, 2015
  2. Abi99 (2) Win User

outlook tasks on windows 10 mobile is a must have!

Microsoft does not leverage Microsoft Answers as feedback channel. Why ever. Therefore here, your comments drown in the Internet swarm. Instead, Microsoft wants you to use the app Windows Feedback, which is included since Windows 10 Mobile. There, you upvote
    (just one of) the existing feature suggestion(s). Did you go for that already?

Anyway, please, continue and select ‘Me Too’ in that thread…

Then you are subscribed to updates automatically. When anything changes, you get notified by E-mail. Furthermore, only one thread must be updated. For a current but short summary, please, continue
    there…

Abi99 (2), Jun 24, 2015
  3. Entegy Win User
    outlook tasks on windows 10 mobile is a must have!

That's not exactly true. While the better channel is indeed the Windows Feedback app for anything Windows 10 related, MS Answers is watched by Microsoft employees.

Also, I can't believe it's 2016 and we're back to requesting Outlook tasks be added. It's Windows Phone 7 all over again...

Entegy, Jun 24, 2015
  4. Why is Windows 10 a must have OS?

Honestly? Microsoft is in a sense trying to make an OS to last them the next decade or two. The two main problems with Windows 7 is that it doesn't work well on touchscreens and phones, and it still has a fair amount of backwards compatibility baggage that would bog down lighter systems. Microsoft's end game is an OS that they can basically offer indefinitely instead of having to support so many editions (Microsoft only recently dropped mainstream support for XP). To do that requires three things: Support for different devices, cleaning up the codebase, and better integrating with the internet.

Support for new devices is the most noticeable change. Smartphones and tablets function significantly different from laptops, but they are still a market that Microsoft wants to have some say in. This means that their OS and the applications it runs have to be flexible enough to scale to different input methods and configurations, even systems that have limited processing power.

Cleaning up the code is also important. As it stands right now applications have nearly complete access to the OS, which is why they rarely uninstall cleanly and can break if the OS is updated. Plus this open access makes it easier for viruses to hide in obscure corners. With Windows 8 and 10 Microsoft is trying to encourage developers to rewrite their programs to run completely inside containers and access the OS through specific APIs instead of just plopping dlls wherever they like. This means that the system will not be bogged down by crap stuck deep in it by applications, and the OS can actually do a complete reset without harming the application. And the enforcement of APIs means that the applications can run on systems not originally planned for, such as the Hololense.

And the online accounts is another big piece of the puzzle. The end goal is to have all of the user profile and information abstracted from the hardware it resides on, making switching to a different computer or even a new OS transparent.

Microsoft is basically planning to rewrite Windows from scratch, but they understand that for users to adopt it it needs to be a transparent and seamless operation. Windows 10 is the key, as it sets the stage for how the applications of the future will run.

FuturDreamz, Jun 24, 2015
  5. davehc Win User
    I agree with your sentiments. But:

The OS has not been released, but is still in the testing phase. Many warning were issued, by MS, regarding problems that would be experienced, by joining the build testing program. That was the whole purpose - to cover a wide audience, with different applications and hardware.
    The OS has moved, more, towards the use of tablets and other portable devices, which, because of their size, do work more efficiently with touchscreen capability.
    I have no touch screen devices, nor, on my (pensioners )budget, ever will. But I did have access to a very expensive stationery touch screen, and still found the mouse and button procedure more convenient and faster - but that is this "geezer"!
    I do not blame MS so hastily, for introducing the public to the Beta testing procedure. That same public have, for some years, hurled criticism and abuse at MS, for not listening to their constant whines. Now, an additional problem has been brought on Microsoft, by allowing this. There have been so many different views, often on the same subject, regarding hoe a single item should be displayed or used, that MS have, as always, needed to take a middle path and satisfy some, but not all.

As the previous poster says, Windows 10 is providing updates to accommodate new technology and hardware. But if you are happy with Windows 7 (that is not intended rudely), then you are set for a long time yet.

What's new? Two significant things, for which I have no use, a speech engine, Cortana, and low profile browser, Edge. Apart from that their are probably some of those mysterious "under the hood" things also - an expression I read a lot.
    For me, in a nutshell. I got into, and customised Windows 8.1 to my complete satisfaction. For my, partly limited, use, I have found nothing that will run faster or more efficiently in Windows 10, although equally as well.. But, as it will be a move on to the latest technology, I will be adapting to it.

davehc, Jun 24, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Windows 10 is the future of WIndows. If you want to be part of that future, then you should probably upgrade. If not, then don't. It's really that simple.

Mystere, Jun 24, 2015
  7. Wenda Win User
    Trying build 10130 now.

Still not a lot I like about it, it still looks horrid, and it's still not a patch on 8.1

And that stupid forced-update crap is still there (anyone found a way to block it??).

Sad, really... *cry

Still, I have XP, Vista, 7 and 8.1 so I doubt I'll shed too many tears.

Wenda, Jun 24, 2015
  8. Why is Windows 10 a must have OS?

It may be designed with touch screen devices in mind but it still works perfectly fine with a keyboard and mouse. Keyboard and trackball in my case. There are things that I don't like about it, but not having a touch screen doesn't make them any better or any worse. Not for me anyway.

alphanumeric, Jun 24, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    Why is Windows 10 a must have OS?

Because MS wishes to ditch all other versions ASAP!

(and... it grows on ya!) *Wink

Edwin, Jun 24, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Art,, it seems that you have made up your mind already and there's nothing that I or anyone else is going to say is going to convince you that WIn10 is a "must have" OS. If you're happy with Win7.. stick with it.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jun 24, 2015
  11. poset Win User
    Yes, you can get rid of that annoyance easily through a Group Policy setting. Simply do a Win-R and launch gpedit.msc. Browse to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update. Set "Configure Automatic Updates" to "2 - Notify for download and notify for install". That's it.

poset, Jun 24, 2015
  12. Wenda Win User
    Thanks muchly, I'll try that.

Cheers

Wenda, Jun 24, 2015
  13. Gary Win User

There is no must have OS out there. It has to be an individual choice. I have had Zero problems with Windows 7. Windows 10 however boots about 5 times as fast and Microsoft wanted a single OS that would work on all platforms. I do not use a touch screen nor a smart phone but Windows 10 is far better than Windows 7 as far as gaming goes. It is also more secure. The decision by MS was a pure Business Decision. If they can succeed in getting most windows 7 , 8 and 8.1 on Windows 10 they will still have huge profits even though it is a free upgrade.

14. My must have OS has not been made yet. *Wink

alphanumeric, Jun 24, 2015
  15. My own opinion, especially since I do not have a touch screen Windows device, is that Win10 is essentially Win8.2 -- and by that, I mean that MS has made very minor changes consisting mostly of moving stuff around. For my own uses, I see no real improvement over Win8.1, but I'm still going to upgrade some of my devices.

Why?

Because (1) the upgrade is free, and (2) Win7 is on its last legs and I don't want to be running machines on obsolete OSs.

Is it a "must have"? No Is it useful to have -- certainly.

And, as others have mentioned, it's entirely a personal choice of yours whether or not to upgrade to Win10.

Mark Phelps, Jun 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Why is Windows 10 a must have OS? - Similar Threads - Why must

2. Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?: SummaryAt work, we're not allowed to save some documents locally on our workstation C:// drives. We must save everything to OneDrive. Throughout the day, I do a lot of file/folder management. Rename documents, Move documents, Rename folders... etc. Back when I could do all...
  3. Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?: SummaryAt work, we're not allowed to save some documents locally on our workstation C:// drives. We must save everything to OneDrive. Throughout the day, I do a lot of file/folder management. Rename documents, Move documents, Rename folders... etc. Back when I could do all...
  4. Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why I try to open a document in Explorer an error comes up saying it must have been moved...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I try to open a document in Explorer an error comes up saying it must have been moved...: Why I try to open a document in Explorer an error comes up saying it must have been moved or renamed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-try-to-open-a-document-in-explorer-an-error/13a1f57c-e542-45b9-83db-73dc5d8ab00b
  6. Why I try to open a document in Explorer an error comes up saying it must have been moved...

Why I try to open a document in Explorer an error comes up saying it must have been moved...: Why I try to open a document in Explorer an error comes up saying it must have been moved or renamed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-try-to-open-a-document-in-explorer-an-error/13a1f57c-e542-45b9-83db-73dc5d8ab00b
  7. Why is my background now black and the text now white. You must have made this change on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my background now black and the text now white. You must have made this change on...: Why is my background now black and the text now white. You must have made this change on 8-18-2023 and I do not like it. How can I go back as it was on 8-17-2023 and before....
  8. Why is my background now black and the text now white. You must have made this change on...

Why is my background now black and the text now white. You must have made this change on...: Why is my background now black and the text now white. You must have made this change on 8-18-2023 and I do not like it. How can I go back as it was on 8-17-2023 and before....
  9. Why is my background now black and the text now white. You must have made this change on...

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Why is my background now black and the text now white. You must have made this change on...