Windows 10: Why merging reg files works efficiently only from desktop?

Discus and support Why merging reg files works efficiently only from desktop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have reg file, which alter some restricted keys and it works only from desktop. Like:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TairikuOkami, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Why merging reg files works efficiently only from desktop?

I have reg file, which alter some restricted keys and it works only from desktop.
    Like: [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    I do not understand this, I am an admin, it does not work, whenever UAC is On or OFF.
    I get a successful confirmation message from any location, but obviously it is lying to me.

:)

TairikuOkami, Jul 27, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

error message

Peter, this is a common enough problem and is easily fixed Click this link to download a reg file from my DropBox Account: Dropbox - folder_fix_w10.reg Right click that file, choose "Merge' and confirm the merge Re-Start
    your system and everything should be OK!

DaveM121, Jul 27, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    laptop affected with some kind of virus

Hi Mohammed, click the link below to download a reg file from DropBox

Once downloaded, right click that file and choose 'Merge', then confirm the merge

Restart your PC and file file association for exe files will be repaired . . .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qthn0xappars9p1/FixEX...

DaveM121, Jul 27, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Why merging reg files works efficiently only from desktop?

How do you run them if not on the Desktop? They have to be run with elevated authority, like from an Elevated Command Prompt.

Perhaps right clicking and running as Administrator from elsewhere will work?

Ztruker, Jul 27, 2015
  5. I mean, they work only when run from the desktop folder. C:\Users\Name\Desktop\
    Maybe creating a task with system rights might work, but I would prefer an easier way.

EDIT: OK, this strange problem was caused by explorer replacement Xyplorer.
    When anything was run via it, it did work properly, via normal explorer it works.
    I can not believe how much time I have wasted trying to figure it out. Odd anyway.

TairikuOkami, Jul 27, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Glad you got an answer.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Why merging reg files works efficiently only from desktop?

1. Why merging reg files works efficiently only from desktop? - Similar Threads - Why merging reg

2. Remote Desktop only working from home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop only working from home: I’ve set up my Remote Desktop connection and did the port forwarding in my router. The computer is connected to internet. If I’m at home connected to my iPhone 5G instead of the same wifi, the remote connection works perfectly. But, when i try to connect it from outside of my...
  3. File sharing only works from desktop to laptop, not the other way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File sharing only works from desktop to laptop, not the other way: Specs: Windows 10, latest non-beat update.Goal: sharing files from laptop to desktop, essentially having the laptop act as a server. Specifcally sharing the entire C: drive.Solution: Windows file sharing over wifiProblem:Hi.I have enable file sharing and discovery on my...
  4. File sharing only works from desktop to laptop, not the other way

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File sharing only works from desktop to laptop, not the other way: Specs: Windows 10, latest non-beat update.Goal: sharing files from laptop to desktop, essentially having the laptop act as a server. Specifcally sharing the entire C: drive.Solution: Windows file sharing over wifiProblem:Hi.I have enable file sharing and discovery on my...
  5. Downloads and Desktop files merged and the Desktop are considered a system file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloads and Desktop files merged and the Desktop are considered a system file: Please help meI was moving files but ended up having my Desktop and Downloads library mergedThe Desktop became a library files and when i open the Downloads library instead of the downloads files, it shows the Desktop filesI tried Restore Default in Location tab but it ended...
  6. Desktop And Document User Files Merged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop And Document User Files Merged: [ATTACH] I don't know if this subreddit is used for Windows 10 support but I am new to Windows and I accidentally merged my Desktop and Documents folders. I have looked online for hours and I tried fixing it through regedit and I still can't figure it out. Please help me,...
  7. REG ADD works from cmdline but not batch

in Windows 10 Support
    REG ADD works from cmdline but not batch: I've been trying to figure this one out and I'm sure it's something simple I've missed. This will add a reg entry to a local pc when used from an elevated cmd prompt, but doesn't work when I run it in a .cmd file with run as admin? reg add...
  8. Change Regedit "*.reg" default from Merge to Edit

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Regedit "*.reg" default from Merge to Edit: After upgrading to Win10, the default action for *.reg moved to "Merge" (in Win8 I had set it to "Edit", but don't recall how). What's the trick? If I associate *.reg with Notepad, I totally lose the "merge" capability in the context menu, so that's not the answer... I want...
  9. "Merge" missing from .reg context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    "Merge" missing from .reg context menu: "Merge" is missing on my ,reg context menu. The only supposed solution I could find here was for Win 7, but it didnt work. 61626
  10. Merging .reg files as standard user

in Windows 10 Support
    Merging .reg files as standard user: I want to add run as admin to the context menu to be able to merge a couple of .reg files into the registry when i right click on them, i downloaded Brinks 2 reg files to do this but they require admin privleges *Mad and run as admin does not show up in the context menu when...