Windows 10: Why Multiple Default Gateways Warning?

Discus and support Why Multiple Default Gateways Warning? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had to mess with the network recently because I got a new router on the 192.x.x.x and was on 10.x.x.x before. Had to play with the IP on my local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by abrogard, Feb 28, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

Why Multiple Default Gateways Warning?

I had to mess with the network recently because I got a new router on the 192.x.x.x and was on 10.x.x.x before.

Had to play with the IP on my local computer in order to discover and change the IP of my cameras.

While doing all that I started getting a message from the network thing about 'multiple default gateways are intended for blah, blah... and do you want to save this?'

Which I did because I could do nothing else. I couldn't subtract a gateway because I couldn't see where I had two of them configured. As far as I know there's only the one.

I just checked and I get it when configuring one of the ethernet adapters. Both of which are currenlty 'network cable unplugged' - the Lan is working on wifi.

I have to configure an ethernet adapter for use with the IP cameras. I pull out the wifi adapter and plug the cameras in one at a time and then find them on their subnet after changing my IP to match that subnet. Then I change their IP and then I change mine back....

So I'm not too smart about all this. From the above does it seem I'm doing what I should? And why the warning? Does it matter?

and p.s. I should not be able to ping a device on another subnet should I?

This says I should: How to ping a machine on different subnets - Quora

If I 'add' a new record with a new IP on that subnet and a mask for it.

But I tried it and it didn't work for me.

And I don't quite understand - his instructions mean make up an IP for your own device that is within that subnet and then you'll be able to ping a machine on that subnet?

That's how I read it and that's what I tried.

I am 192.168.1.50 and the camera I'm looking for is 10.0.0.97. So I gave myself an IP of 10.0.0.5 and a mask of 255.255.255.0 and tried a ping. Didn' work.

The wifi router is 192.168.0.1

I can ethernet into it if I wish of course.

:)

abrogard, Feb 28, 2018

2. Windows 10 mouse scrolling problem

"I have tried this with four different mice on multiple USB ports. Two wireless Logitech mice, (one unifying, one dedicated dongle), one wired Kensington USB mouse and one wired Gateway USB mouse."

If it is apparent the problem is with the Logitech mouse, why would both the Kensington and Gateway mice show the same problem?

GV_Windows10, Feb 28, 2018
  3. Woothz Win User
    My Windows 10 can't enter any network device from browser

The default gateway is 192.168.0.1. Lika I sad I have tryed this on a windows 7 without any problems.

Cant see why 198.168.1.1 should help?

Woothz, Feb 28, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Your device has to be on the same subnet as the router that services your local cable segment. If the router has a Class C private IP address (starts with 192.168...) your device must be on the same subnet for communications to work. The router will have to forward the packet from the 192.168 subnet to the 10.0.0 subnet for a ping to occur. Try Ping loopback and see if that works. If not, you've got problems with your IP stack. If that works, try ping <your address>. You should always be able to ping your own NIC address. Finally, ping the router address: once you can get there, it will do the rest!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 28, 2018
  5. abrogard Win User
    Well thanks for that, Ed, it is just as I thought the situation to be.

I can ping loopback, localhost, my own local IP and the router. Always could.

But what is this 'multiple gateways' thing about?

And can I/should I add another IP address to a network card that is of a different subnet, as in that Quora link, to enable me to ping/locate a camera on that subnet. Note, what I mean by 'different subnet' is different to my own pc and different to the router - pc and router being on the same of course.

abrogard, Feb 28, 2018
  6. johng1970 Win User
    No, you need to add a route to the 10.0.0.6 IP address. By providing the path to that IP addresses router.

johng1970, Mar 1, 2018
  7. abrogard Win User
    ah.. we're getting warmer.

if I do this: route ADD 10.0.0.97 193.168.0.1 then I get a line in my routing table like this:

10.0.0.97 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.95 56

and that means packets for 10.0.0.97 will leave this computer, 192.168.0.95, and be directed to the gateway router at 102.168.0.1

so far so good. except where's the difference? ALL packets from this computer went to that gateway anyway.

And I tried it and got that line in my route table but still couldn't connect to the camera.

But 'providing the path to that IP address's router' sounds to me like your saying there should be a special router that is on that segment, that 'knows' the 10.x.x.x addresses. Is that right?

If so well no, there's no such thing. There's one router with a 192.168.x.x. address and all the LAN machines with 192.168.x.x addresses that they got when I configured them to connect to this new wireless router - losing all their old 10.x.x.x addresses.

And these couple of IP wifi cameras that are sitting out there with their old 10.x.x.x addresses.

Only way I know to get them online again is to physically ethernet wire them into a machine temporarily re-addressed to the 10.x.x.x subnet (and therefore off the web because doing that disconnects them from the router).

Config them to 192.x.x.x addresses. Upon which they immediately become unreachable by that machine - but suddenly pop up on the wifi router.

Then config that machine back to a 192.168.x.x address and connect to the router and we're all in business again.

A lengthy messy procedure.

The Quora thread seemed to suggest (A MS professional no less) that I could talk to those cameras simply by doing some software changes - adding a 10.0.0.0 address to a machine's network card - and so I'm trying to pursue that angle.

Sorry if you already knew all that and I've missed the point somewhere. I'm just trying to make sure we're all on the same page.

abrogard, Mar 1, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

Yes, you have to route to the 10.0.0... network from your current network. What kind of router do you have? I'd suggest seeing if the router maker has a forum, because they'll be able to tell you quickly and directly how to add routes and so forth. The rest of us (including me, but I'll be out of town for the next few days) will have to look it up and/or puzzle it out.
    Best of luck in getting this resolved. It does sound like you're getting very close.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 2, 2018
  9. abrogard Win User
    I'm currently thinking the Quora thing is either dead wrong or very incomplete.

Basically two routers are needed I think. From my poor knowledge/understanding of it all.

The router is mainly nothing but a NAT, isn't it?

Packets arrive addressed to the router (as the 'gateway') labelled for this or that machine and the router sorts that out.

But the router assumes everything is on its own subnet. I doesn't handle all the subnets in the world. Only its own. Your basic router would only be capable of up to 256 addresses because of that.

The last eight bits of the address, 'poking out' from the mask.

(I'm making all this up).

To get to addresses in other subnets it needs to route packets to a gateway ( a router ) that handles that subnet.

Or to get traffic to other nets - i.e. the whole internet - it needs to route traffic to routers that handle those addresses which it does as a matter of course.

So without another local gateway or router I'm not going to be able to access other subnets.

UNLESS my router can be configured to act as a 'gateway' for both subnets. Which is the point of talking to folks who understand my router I guess.

How right/wrong am I so far?

I have a Telstra 800 router here in Aus.

I'll see what I can find out.

*Smile

abrogard, Mar 2, 2018
  10. johng1970 Win User
    Yes, I was actually, assuming that the cameras was on a separate router, that was attached to the current router that you was trying to add the route to. But based on what you said, I'd highly recommend you connecting to the cameras and resetting their ip address to something in the 192.168.0.xxx range.

johng1970, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why Multiple Default Gateways Warning? - Similar Threads - Why Multiple Default

2. default gateway

in Windows 10 Gaming
    default gateway: Just recently my computer has stopped connecting the the internet. It is sporadic. I troubleshoot and I get this message:The default gateway is not available. I play around with it for a while and then it reconnects. All our other devices are connected just fine. I restarted...
  3. default gateway

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default gateway: Just recently my computer has stopped connecting the the internet. It is sporadic. I troubleshoot and I get this message:The default gateway is not available. I play around with it for a while and then it reconnects. All our other devices are connected just fine. I restarted...
  4. default gateway

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Default Gateway not available

Default Gateway not available: Every hour or so I get kicked off the internet. First Teams goes. Then Zoom a few seconds later. Then I'm kicked off wifi. When I troubleshoot, it says Default gateway unavailable "fixed". Then I get back on and it happens again within 30 min to an hour. Seems to happen when...
  6. Ipconfig shows multiple default gateways

Ipconfig shows multiple default gateways: Greetings. I was playing around and decided to convert my old router into a switch. I have no experience with networking at all and now somehow when i type ipconfig, there are multiple default gateways. Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1%17...
  7. Default Gateway Not Available

Default Gateway Not Available: I have been having this problem for months now... every time I attempt transfer a large amount of data between my computers, one or both of the machines lose their network connection and windows does the "Default Gateway is not available thing" I have looked online and tried...
  8. Default Gateway

Default Gateway: Hi everyone, I'm cracking up trying to find a definitive solution for this damn problem. My windows 10 desktop PC, says the Default Gateway is not available. I've checked my Ethernet cable, tried all the solutions I've found online. It's such a pain because you don't know...
  9. Default gateway not available

Default gateway not available: Help! I've searched for hours for help on this issue and can't seem to solve my limited internet issue. First it was showing up: IP not configured correctly I input the following (which I found off another random site so don't even know if it's right) IP:...
  10. Default Gateway Not Available

Default Gateway Not Available: I have been having this problem for months now... every time I attempt transfer a large amount of data between my computers, one or both of the machines lose their network connection and windows does the "Default Gateway is not available thing" I have looked online and...