Windows 10: Why not make Chrome and Firefox (and other Web browsers) portable?

Discus and support Why not make Chrome and Firefox (and other Web browsers) portable? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; People do not like having to sync their Web browsers due to security concerns, but wouldn't the ideal solution be to make them portable so we can store... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by socklosk, Feb 28, 2018.

1. socklosk Win User

Why not make Chrome and Firefox (and other Web browsers) portable?

People do not like having to sync their Web browsers due to security concerns, but wouldn't the ideal solution be to make them portable so we can store them as we like to have them configured on another drive or a partition that is independent of the OS? This goes for office as well, and well as many other programs. I have WordPerfect and it allows it to largely be loaded on outside the main OS.

Keeping these large files to be mostly stored outside the OS makes the backing-up restoring of the OS so much quicker.

:)

socklosk, Feb 28, 2018

2. Content-type: text/html

Hi,

Do you have the Chrome or Firefox web browser installed?

those web browsers hijack IE's default settings.... you need to reset IE as your default web browser...

from IE select Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab>click the option to "Make Internet Explorer the default browser"....

When the next time you use Chrome or Firefox, do not answer 'Yes' when it asks if you want to make those browsers your default web browser.... (see the Settings tab, of those browsers to turn off their feature "Always check if Chrome/Firefox is set as the
    default web browser".

Regards.

IECUSTOMIZER, Feb 28, 2018
  3. Windows 10 and IE 11 will not display web pages with dialup

Does this happen in other web browsers such as Chrome, Edge or Firefox?

Andre Da Costa, Feb 28, 2018
  4. DooGie Win User

There is a Firefox portable version available.

DooGie, Feb 28, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
  6. Berton Win User
    So far the only program I use that still wants to put a goodly/major portion of itself on the same drive/partition the Operating System [Windows] is installed on is Microsoft Office, probably due to its interweaving with the OS and Internet Explorer. With small C: drives such as the SSD in Tablets and small C: partition like my 150GB and D: partition on the 1TB HDD I like my WordPerfect along with numerous other programs on D:. It works with any program's Custom Install where changes can be made as desired. If needing an office-type program try the free LibreOffice, has a portable version.
    Portable versions | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why not make Chrome and Firefox (and other Web browsers) portable? - Similar Threads - Why Chrome Firefox

2. Browsers hanging/freezing : edge , chrome .firefox

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browsers hanging/freezing : edge , chrome .firefox: On my pc browsers keep on freezing again and again , I have cleared all the cache and removed all the data from browsers by resetting them . when browsers freeze other applications on pc work fine...
  3. Chrome and Firefox are better browsers 100%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chrome and Firefox are better browsers 100%: how to uninstall Microsoft edge browser it's annoying and useless... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-and-firefox-are-better-browsers-100/798c07cf-57ae-4baa-b5ef-28b52037d065
  4. Chrome Browser Makes a Mess of Some Web Pages!

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Browser Makes a Mess of Some Web Pages!: I have the latest Chrome browser for my 64 bit Windows 10 pro. There are some pages that used to be fine but are now somewhat of a mess. Edge is fine so it is not the system. My wife can shop on Fred Meyer on her system and an item can be added to her cart OK, but on my...
  5. how set Firefox as default web browser

how set Firefox as default web browser: Although I have it loaded, it doesn't show up as an option in the default app or in the "choose default app" section. Plus, I even have trouble loading it. I realize they'd rather I not use it, but I'd sure like the choice....
  6. Firefox not available in Default web browser list

Firefox not available in Default web browser list: Settings - Default Apps - Web Browser Only Chrome IE and Edge are available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox-not-available-in-default-web-browser-list/ff5d0599-5a6a-4ad1-9b3a-2f6687c12a7c
  7. Can't make FireFox default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't make FireFox default browser?: Every time I start FireFox I'm presented with a dialog asking if I want to make it my default browser. Yes I do!! I am brought to the screen which lets me choose a browser, but FireFox isn't among the choices. I choose to search for another browser and I'm brought to the...
  8. Err_connection_failed in chrome and other browsers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Err_connection_failed in chrome and other browsers: Hi, I was facing this problem a couple of months ago. After using my laptop for few hours, 3 or 4 for example, i suddenly get the page which says: this site can't be reached with the error Err_connection_failed. In edge this problem comes under: hmmm... can t reached...
  9. Can't logon to Amazon with Firefox and Chrome browsers

in Browsers and Email
    Can't logon to Amazon with Firefox and Chrome browsers: As title says any attempt to reach Amazon goes out into La-La Land and then times out. This happens both with Firefox and Chrome browsers. Other sites seem to be OK. So far I've disabled my firewall (ZoneAlarm), Norton AV, checked my Host File which has no entries and still...
  10. Make firefox as default app for "web browser"

in Browsers and Email
    Make firefox as default app for "web browser": Dear folks I was trying to change default app for " web browser" from Microsoft Edge to Firefox as per below : How to change your default browser in Windows 10 | Firefox Help I can't find Firefox as an option ? [img] Any idea how can I fix it ? Thx 101100