Windows 10: Why 'Refused To Connect' ?

Discus and support Why 'Refused To Connect' ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a win10 machine. It has two adapters - one onboard ethernet and one plugin usb wifi. Both adapters are enabled and both seem to be working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by abrogard, Mar 22, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

Why 'Refused To Connect' ?

I have a win10 machine.

It has two adapters - one onboard ethernet and one plugin usb wifi.

Both adapters are enabled and both seem to be working fine.

The wifi is allowing internet access and here I am writing this via it.

The ethernet has a wifi camera plugged into it and Wireshark looking at the traffic.

Wireshark reports the camera at 10.0.0.126 asking who has 10.0.0.138 which would be the gateway it was configured to expect.

And when I send a ping Wireshark shows that ping as going from 10.0.0.100 to the camera at 10.0.0.126 and getting a reply from it.

(10.0.0.100 is the address I gave the adapter in IPv4 config earlier today. I gave a mask of 255.255.255.0 and provided no Gateway address nor DNS addresses. Because I am uncertain about what I should provide. )

So all that looks fine to me.

But if I ask my browsers to go to 10.0.0.126 they report that it 'Refused to Connect'.

Still get the same result if I disable the wifi adapter in an attempt to force the browsers to use the ethernet adapter. Because I'm non too clear on how that bit works.

But it doesn't help.

What am I doing wrong? Any networking experts here can put me straight?

:)

abrogard, Mar 22, 2018

2. (Website) refused to connect

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand how frustrating this must have been, I will try my best to help resolve this issue.

Thank you for mentioning the steps you have tried to resolve the issue, we appreciate your effort.

This could be an issue with the IP configuration or incorrect settings in the network. I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run networking commands

1. Type CMD in the search box.

2. Right click on command prompt and run as administrator.

3. At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:

• Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.

• Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.

• Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.

• Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.

• Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
    Method 2: System Restore

As the issue started recently, I would suggest performing a system restore.
    System Restore is a way to undo system changes by using restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time without affecting personal files of users.

Please refer the link below to restore Windows back to an earlier point in time.

How to Perform a System Restore?

Note: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed after the restore point has been created will be removed.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Mar 22, 2018
  3. Wattup1 Win User
    (Website) refused to connect

Ok so on day I opened my laptop an tried to connect to google. It got the following message: "www.google.com has refused to connect"
    Why 'Refused To Connect' ? [​IMG]

It is not just google. Any website I try will give me the same message. I have restarted my computer, the router, pinged, and tried safe mode. And nothing worked. I tried Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Explorer, and every one of them gave me the same message. I
    scanned and there are no viruses, malware, anything. The weirdest thing is that any application that uses the Internet still worked and can connect, and my phone can still access websites. Does anyone have a solution?

Wattup1, Mar 22, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

EdTittel, Mar 22, 2018
  5. abrogard Win User
    It is not quite clear the way I've written is it?

What's happening is a wifi camera - a wireless camera - is plugged in via ethernet. So it's currently both.

I don't know how to say it clearly and succinctly, I wish I did.

Plugged into a pc, not a router.

Yes I ping from the command line.in the usual manner. Wireshark just shows me that ping.

I'll check that thread, thanks.

Hmm. Didn't help.

Just moved the camera to a different computer and tried it there. (Different ethernet cable). Still can't connect but can ping and Wireshark shows the camera as sending out query packets as usual. Different error message this time though:

Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 10.0.0.126.

There's a possibility, of course, that the camera is broken somehow.

Opera said this:

This site can’t be reached

10.0.0.126 refused to connect.

So I think I'm wrong in my interpretation of those error messages. They probably simply mean they can't even reach the thing rather than they reach it and handshake protocols fail or somesuch.

But it pings okay:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 10.0.0.126

Pinging 10.0.0.126 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 10.0.0.126: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 10.0.0.126: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

abrogard, Mar 22, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    If you just have a cable from the camera to the PC you may need a different pinout on that cable. It's called a "crossover cable" and it's explained here in this geekstogo.com forum post: Direct Connections with RJ45 crossover lead - Networking. I'll bet that's what you need to fix this issue.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 23, 2018
  7. abrogard Win User
    Well that's a good thought, Ed, but unfortunately it wouldn't be the case this time.

All my cameras were originally set up by me in this way using the standard cables I have lying around. I have never used a crossover cable to connect to them.

Note the connection is good insofar as a ping.

abrogard, Mar 23, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

The camera has two network connections, there's nothing wrong in doing that. But each should have its own independent IP address, and they should be different addresses. If the camera is configured to use the same IP address for both its Ethernet and WiFi connections it won't work properly.

This is what the command ipconfig shows for my PC when it is using both Ethernet and WiFi connections. Note the different IP addresses.

9. abrogard Win User
    Hi...

Yes, they do have different IP addresses. The two connections: The router via wifi and the pc via Ethernet.

The camera itself has only one IP address. This address has been discovered by watching the Wireshark log of traffic when it was plugged in.

It sent a query : 'who has 10.0.0.138 please tell 10.0.0.126'. i.e. 'tell me' i.e. I am 10.0.0.126

That's how I find the IP for an unknown camera.

You can see the ethernet adapter has been given an IP in the 10.x.x.x range by me to match the IP of the camera.
    The wifi adapter retains the original 192.168.x.x address it has always had ( and which is the subnet the internet router is on, of course)

abrogard, Mar 23, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    What make and model is the camera?

11. abrogard Win User
    abrogard, Mar 23, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
  13. abrogard Win User

Well that's a beauty, Bree. I had that software and dragged it out and ran it - minus any browsers - and it found the camera alright and enabled a log in and configuration.

So I configured it for my wifi point, the broadband router.

And then checked with a browser. And it appeared!

So why, what happened, I don't know.

But I think I have an idea. It was originally configure with a non standard port for http. port 90.

What I did do this time was reconfigure that to port 80.

Maybe that is what it was all about. Sounds like it, doesn't it?

The browser wants http. Ping and wireshark don't.

So it was 'all my fault' inasmuch as I had set that port.

The answer to my query if all of that is correct is that the device has a non-standard http port.

I completely overlooked the port. Forgot there's two parts to an IP address in reality, when we get to routing traffic for instance, through a NAT.

How the Foscam software deals with it I don't know and would very much like to know.

For that's the 'centre' of my query, really, isn't it.

So thanks for that.

Now I'll go see what the router says about devices attached to it (via wifi) with an IP from another subnet.

Just looked. It doesn't seem to see it. So maybe there's no wifi connection at all. Only the port thing enable the browser ethernet connection.

I will continue exploring.....

*Smile

abrogard, Mar 23, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    Glad you've made progress. Good luck with the exploring...

15. EdTittel Win User
    Hey @brogard ! Glad you got it sorted. Most modern devices don't need a crossover cable anymore, so your camera must be new enough to sense and reset send/receive when they need to. And @Bree: you are such a bulldog! What a great job in powering your way to the solution. I'm impressed. Great work.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why 'Refused To Connect' ? - Similar Threads - Why 'Refused Connect'

2. refuses to connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    refuses to connect to wifi: I just downgraded to windows 10 and now everytime i connect to my wifi it just says no internet, secured. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refuses-to-connect-to-wifi/ad34dbca-b7ec-4f80-a6e1-7e4cebcdc95f
  3. Why refusing to connect

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why refusing to connect: what is click,aweber and how or why does it have the authority to refuse to connect to a site I often accessed before? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-refusing-to-connect/20838d20-86d5-4cc2-85d5-f75021949ce9
  4. **** refused to connect ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    **** refused to connect ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED: About a week ago, a problem started that's been a pain in the **** ever since, I'm running windows 11 and most websites other than Google stuff for some reason connects...
  5. refuse to connect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    refuse to connect: When I try to open a link on a website in MS Edge I get the following message "refuse to connect" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refuse-to-connect/5de9ac63-ca7f-4aa6-b9ed-27d77df2cf3c
  6. refuse to connect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    refuse to connect: When I try to open a link on a website in MS Edge I get the following message "refuse to connect" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refuse-to-connect/5de9ac63-ca7f-4aa6-b9ed-27d77df2cf3c
  7. refuse to connect

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. youtube refusing to connect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    youtube refusing to connect: [ATTACH]this is happening with me when i ran a troubleshooter regarding connection on youtube please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/youtube-refusing-to-connect/65e65146-f27f-4462-8c00-916101f45e48
  9. Bluetooth Is Refusing To Connect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth Is Refusing To Connect: After I reinstalled Windows 10, my PC has been refusing to connect to my Bluetooth headphones. If I try pressing the Connect button, my PC will say, "That didn't work. Make sure your device is discoverable and try again." I have tried troubleshooting, unpairing then repairing...
  10. Network Connections Refused

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Connections Refused: Testing 2 PC's with 10 on a network of 24 users. Both machines were running 7 and updated prior to the upgrade. Both have reset network connections to some strange IPV6 setting including ## signs, wiping out the IPV4 settings. Now they wont allow IPV4 settings at all. Ive...