Windows 10: Why the extreme difference in performance on same 801.11 AC connection

Discus and support Why the extreme difference in performance on same 801.11 AC connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three systems on 802.11ac all using ASUS Wifi adapters, plus an 802.11 ac TP-Link Archer C9 router. I use only the 5.0 GHz band for all my WiFi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by x509, Jan 1, 2018.

1. x509 Win User

Why the extreme difference in performance on same 801.11 AC connection

I have three systems on 802.11ac all using ASUS Wifi adapters, plus an 802.11 ac TP-Link Archer C9 router. I use only the 5.0 GHz band for all my WiFi operations.

I have a desktop where I keep the Wifi antenna on the edge of my desk. I position my laptop maybe a foot away from the desktop WiFi antenna. I have this file synchronization utility, GoodSync, which reports file transfer speeds. Here is the thing. Sometimes GoodSync reports file transfer speeds at 18-20 MB/sec. Other times, that speed is done to 2 MB/sec or even less. Rebooting both desktop and laptop does not fix the problem of slow transfer rates.

So what is causing this huge difference in performance? How can I set things up to always have 20 MB/sec transfer rates?

I keep the space between desktop antenna and laptop free and clear. No metal, not even any paper.

Thanks,

:)

x509, Jan 1, 2018
  2. gavink151 Win User

AC-3X the same as an AC-3 charger? whats with the x?

ah excellent information thanks!

gavink151, Jan 1, 2018
  3. gavink151 Win User
    AC-3X the same as an AC-3 charger? whats with the x?

Hi,

trying to located the right charger for my bh-501 headphones, the book says to use an AC-3 charger... the one I found is marked as AC-3X. Are they the same thing?

cheers!

gavink151, Jan 1, 2018
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Couple questions...are you surrounded by neighbors using the same channels? How far is the router from a wireless phone base? Is QOS on in your router, if so turn it off.

dmholt57, Jan 1, 2018
  5. x509 Win User
    Not sure about the neighbors. The router is about 30 feet from the wireless phone base. But the phone is maybe 10 years old, so I'm sure it is on the 2.4 GHz band, and I'm operating only on the 5.0 band. If it matters I have the 5.0 GHz band set to Channel 44.

My router is a TP-Link Archer_C9, and I couldn't find a QOS setting.

x509, Jan 1, 2018
  6. PolarNettles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why the extreme difference in performance on same 801.11 AC connection - Similar Threads - Why extreme difference

2. Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface: My PC has two wireless interface cards, one installed into the motherboard antenna poking out of the unit, the other one plugged in with a USB cable. Now in my connections tab I have WiFi and WiFi2 where I can separately select a network to connect. Since both interfaces are...
  3. Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface: My PC has two wireless interface cards, one installed into the motherboard antenna poking out of the unit, the other one plugged in with a USB cable. Now in my connections tab I have WiFi and WiFi2 where I can separately select a network to connect. Since both interfaces are...
  4. Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My laptop's performance is extremely disturbed.

My laptop's performance is extremely disturbed.: I have an HP laptop, CORE i7 8th generation. For some days my laptop always starts a disk checkup on boot, but for the last 3 days it doesn't start a disk checkup but takes too much time almost an hour to start and when it started, its performance is very slow. It has become...
  6. Servers with same configuration perform differently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Servers with same configuration perform differently: We have 2 VMs- SERVER A and SERVER B, both has 64 GB of RAM, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2690. SERVER A has 16 CPUs and SERVER B has 24 CPUs. We are facing performance issue with the SERVER B. Example 1: A process that runs for about 6 hours in SERVER A, takes about 9 hours to run in...
  7. Servers with same configuration perform differently

Servers with same configuration perform differently: We have 2 VMs- SERVER A and SERVER B, both has 64 GB of RAM, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2690. SERVER A has 16 CPUs and SERVER B has 24 CPUs. We are facing performance issue with the SERVER B. Example 1: A process that runs for about 6 hours in SERVER A, takes about 9 hours to run in...
  8. 2 same CPU laptop but different performance 50% slower / Crazy !

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2 same CPU laptop but different performance 50% slower / Crazy !: Hello I noticed this issue when I was using Handbrake to encode files I started handbrake on both laptop at the same time, using intel quicksync decoding option and the PRESETI use is : very fast 1080p 30fps // CODEC is: x265 10 bits, on both laptops everything else is...
  9. New computers. Why wildly different performance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computers. Why wildly different performance?: I have three Win10 computers that I bought for family use, two laptops and a desktop. They are name brands but basic level since they would only be used for Office and internet. They are all slow to start, slow to close, and slow to open apps right out of the box. I've done...
  10. why are my ethernet designations different on 3 different computers connected to the same...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why are my ethernet designations different on 3 different computers connected to the same...: Windows 10 ethernet connections show different descriptions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-my-ethernet-designations-different-on-3/5b9152ad-d48f-457e-9ff5-e1b83f852c65