Windows 10: Why the future of storage is all about DNA

Discus and support Why the future of storage is all about DNA in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; DNA is so flexible that it can be used to create everything from an amoeba to a human, a dinosaur to a dandelion. And it's so small that the DNA needed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Why the future of storage is all about DNA

Read more: From digital to biological: Why the future of storage is all about DNA | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Sep 23, 2016

2. Want some information about the future of symbian ^3 devices

it obviously depends on the carriers, In Australia we buy data packs differently, they are more sold on what you need as opposed to buying a pack based on the phone. (with the exception of iphone, they tend to have special plans for them).

working with banks myself, we speak to many customers, where we have detected that their banking details having gotten in to the wrong hands. Many of these customers are only using their mobile phone these days because they felt that they are safer. But
    unfortunately they are not using antivirus software, and in many cases they are using andriod based phones, with some using iphones. I cant recall having any customer with a nokia phone that have lost their information to criminals, but we still recommend
    they have antivirus software regardless.

Even when you read the openning few pages of the E7 booklet, it says thanks you for buying your new Nokia mini pocket computer. It doesnt call it a phone, just a mini pocket computer.

jraduga---01, Sep 23, 2016
  3. Want some information about the future of symbian ^3 devices

I think it would be better to let them work for symbian coz they will develop it faster than nokia does and i just hope !

HellTitan2, Sep 23, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

So who is now working on biological computer viruses to change / corrupt computer storage DNA?

Steve C, Sep 23, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    I don't know who - but natural viruses which may change or corrupt natural DNA (and thus any DNA you could synthesise) have been around probably since DNA first assembled into self-reproducing pre-biotic units, over 2.5 billion years ago - and these natural viruses are very good at producing variants which attach to, attack and reproduce the natural sources of DNA they parasitise.

If in our wisdom, we produce a DNA variant that has computationally useful data encoded on it, some natural DNA modification process will probably eventually come along and change it to something more biologically useful (Darwinistic principle) thus corrupting the data.

It's not making the stuff that's hard, we've been doing that in the lab since the 1970s, it's protecting it from hungry little bugs who will use it as food. Oh, yes, and from radiation, and radioactive decay of the component biochemicals which zap and break the double helix.

Our bodies contain 2 copies of our DNA in each cell of our bodies, so that's a massive redundancy required - not for mission critical data - stick to physics rather than biology for permanency.

Fafhrd, Sep 23, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    I think that you are wrong. I have studied microbiology and although we are talking a mere 2.5 billion years since the introduction of DNA into Earth's biosphere, many scientists and metaphysicians believe that there was actually a period of approx. 3 weeks in which DNA existed in a virus free environment. It wasn't instantaneously as you seem to suggest.

Rocky, Sep 24, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    2.31 . 10-9 % of the time since the creation of DNA has been virus free - that's fairly instantaneous by my standards.

Steve C, Sep 24, 2016
  8. Fafhrd Win User

*Wink*Wink*Wink - so this post is not misunderstood:

"metaphysicians" - did I copy that right from your post, Rocky? (with the accompanying red squiggly line beneath it!) *Smile I would love to meet one in a pub for beer, crisps and long candle-lit discussions about metaphysiology, metaphysiotherapy, and other aspects of metaphysicing in general.

It's only an assumption that DNA has been around that long, and DNA wasn't "introduced into Earth's Biosphere" - the observation or definition of a "Biosphere" is dependent on... as far as any postulated "Metaphysician" or other pseudoscientific (or otherwise) professional could determine... is the presence of living organisms (Biota) that are based on a DNA hereditary mechanism - the only way we know to describe living things.

Finally I have no idea where your formulation of "instantaneously" came from - I suggested that "probably since DNA first assembled into self-reproducing pre-biotic units, over 2.5 billion years ago" - a weasel worded assumption of likelihood based on lack of alternative evidence, and the present evidence of the age of the earth and the current fundamental basis of biology - which neither suggests a great deal of certainty when the first viruses arrived, but I am perfectly willing to accept your solid approximation of 3 weeks, as it is a plausible timescale, given that the order of 2-4 weeks is a common incubation period for human, animal and vegetable virus infection timescales from exposure to onset of morbidity. In my further defence I said "probably eventually come along", more weaselly-worded stuff on my behalf, that covers me from any criticism, or refutation whatsoever!

As to the mathematical veracity of Steve C's calculation, who am I to say, as an aged molecular biologist sometime involved in phytoviral genetic analysis and later as a veterinary vaccine researcher and manufacturer?

*Wink*Wink*Wink

Fafhrd, Sep 24, 2016
  9. Rocky Win User
    Thank you very much Fafhrd for catching that. Parody is my specialty, but sometimes it goes unnoticed.

Rocky, Sep 24, 2016
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    Fafhrd, Sep 24, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    This elaboration is surely worthy of some kind of political nomination! *Shock*What

AndreTen, Sep 24, 2016
  12. linw Win User
    Wow, I am impressed!

Interesting topic.

13. Fafhrd Win User

Ok, Andre, I'm in the market for a globally recognised sinecure, what do you want to propose me for? I like the title, and am eminently qualified for the post of The Big MacGuffin with special responsibility for ludicrously irresponsible research into daft data storage methodologies.​ My rates are affordable, just.

Fafhrd, Sep 25, 2016
  14. AndreTen Win User
    You don't need to limit yourself in any way *Wink Let your options wide open *Smile
    Admit, I don't understand everything you are saying *Smile, but it sounds like something important, doable a lot of research involving etc...

So...

AndreTen, Sep 25, 2016
  15. Fafhrd Win User
    Look, Andre, I need a reliable PA for the post - are you available? If we are going to make this work, we need to move fast, before the UK pulls out of Europe, or else it's a no-go. Whaddaya think?

Fafhrd, Sep 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Why the future of storage is all about DNA - Similar Threads - Why future storage

2. About windows storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About windows storage: My C drive disk storage is automatically increasing and decreasing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-windows-storage/51556c76-8df0-4f7f-a88a-a5a9ab139847
  3. About windows storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About windows storage: My C drive disk storage is automatically increasing and decreasing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-windows-storage/51556c76-8df0-4f7f-a88a-a5a9ab139847
  4. The Cloud storage is capped at 5GB . Is there is plan to increase the cloud storage in future.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Cloud storage is capped at 5GB . Is there is plan to increase the cloud storage in future.: Microsoft has a basic 5GB cloud storage feature for every customer. Yet in modern times when there are so much data generated from computing activity that size is small to store more data. Has Microsoft introduced plans to increase this 5GB cloud storage for free. I think it...
  5. The Cloud storage is capped at 5GB . Is there is plan to increase the cloud storage in future.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Cloud storage is capped at 5GB . Is there is plan to increase the cloud storage in future.: Microsoft has a basic 5GB cloud storage feature for every customer. Yet in modern times when there are so much data generated from computing activity that size is small to store more data. Has Microsoft introduced plans to increase this 5GB cloud storage for free. I think it...
  6. Is it at all possible to stop all future Windows updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it at all possible to stop all future Windows updates?: I lost two weeks of my time, going through at least 15 different Microsoft techs, and 2 different techs at Corel after the 1903 update abruptly stopped the use of Photoshop, InDesign and Corel Paintshop Prop 2019. I ended up having to do a complete recovery to get them to...
  7. Future Windows 10 Versions for Limited Storage PCs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Future Windows 10 Versions for Limited Storage PCs: Since it seems that Microsoft's eventual plans for Windows 10 is to require greater system storage minimums than in the past, does anyone know if Microsoft has given any consideration to allowing users to supplement their small built-in storage drives by using USB flash...
  8. Microsoft and UW demonstrate first fully automated DNA data storage

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft and UW demonstrate first fully automated DNA data storage: [ATTACH] Researchers from Microsoft and the University of Washington have demonstrated the first fully automated system to store and retrieve data in manufactured DNA — a key step in moving the technology out of the research lab and into commercial datacenters. In a simple...
  9. Troubled about future of Yahoo Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Troubled about future of Yahoo Mail: Windows 10 Have used Yahoo Mail for decades. With all the negative press and articles regarding possible Yahoo being sold should I be actively searching for a new email provider? My account was not hacked. I'm using Yahoo Mail with Windows Edge Browser. If I do need to find...
  10. Microsoft buying another 10 million DNA strands for storage research

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft buying another 10 million DNA strands for storage research: DNA storage could allow vast amounts of data to be stored for thousands of years. Microsoft is buying another ten million strands of DNA to use as part of research into new ways of storing digital data. The long-chain oligonucleotide strands of DNA will be used by...