Windows 10: Why the need for "Settings"?

Discus and support Why the need for "Settings"? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Isn't Control Panel supposed to do everything we need? I understand the need to have a tablet oriented hub, but why also include that in deskop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tengeezer, Jun 3, 2015.

1. tengeezer Win User

Why the need for "Settings"?

Isn't Control Panel supposed to do everything we need?

I understand the need to have a tablet oriented hub, but why also include that in deskop mode.

Don't get it.

:)

tengeezer, Jun 3, 2015

2. Signing in - why the need for a password that can't be saved?

Since installing Widows 10 and particularly after signing up to Microsoft Account I have been unable to access my programs/apps without a Password. The boot-up stops before the 'welcome' appears and at this point I have to enter a Password. The password
    takes me to the apps, but it is a nuisance and restricts other members of the family to free access. I do not particularly care for the multiplicity of passwords that is required. I would like to take my computer back to when it automatically made its way
    from switch-on to my screen of icons. how do I do this. There seems to be few control tabs on the Sign-in options menu in 'Accounts' - unless I just delete the account. Would deleting the account solve the problem.

I have a fear that if my password fails and I get the dreaded "password failed" notice on the screen I then have no way of accessing my apps or internet and my computer becomes useless as there are no further tabs/links on the screen. What do I do then?
    Is there another way in?

DonaldMacLeodWO, Jun 3, 2015
  3. Signing in - why the need for a password that can't be saved?

You're happy with other members of the family seeing your documents. browsing history etc?

If not then just create a Standard Local user account and call it "Family" or some such.

Having a password-protected User account is part of your armoury against on-line nasties....all security professionals recommend you have one.

Gordon B-P, Jun 3, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

In addition, a one setting model for all devices would need to be touch friendly. The Control Panel wasn't, so Settings was born.

Even though the Control Panel UI will be removed, we may still be able to access it. We'll have to wait and see though. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jun 3, 2015
  5. bromanbro Win User
    R-remove the Control Panel????

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

*cries uncontrollably*

bromanbro, Jun 3, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Control Panel is being phased out. Eventually it will be gone, Settings is the new configuration tool which will grow and expand in functionality.

Mystere, Jun 3, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I liked the control panel too, but, after getting used to Settings all these months, I'm finding it easier to navigate than the CP. Each menu has it's submenu and when things crossover there are also links to other menus(,e.g. Personalization>mouse cursor or Sound).
    It's just a different interface, and probably better for those with eyesight(using dark skin) or concentration problems.

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2015
  8. swarfega Win User

I actually like the new settings, its easy to navigate and you can use search if you need to.

swarfega, Jun 3, 2015
  9. elbmek Win User
    I use the cpanel daily

elbmek, Jun 3, 2015
  10. owensjc Win User
    Can't stand the setting app, or any of the touch oriented screens. This stuff does not belong on the desktop systems. It takes up to much space and is rather ugly. A desktop is NOT a tablet. I wish M$ would realize that and stop trying to combine them.

owensjc, Jun 3, 2015
  11. Banzi Win User
    I personally can't stand the settings app, it just looks crap & everything is too big & chunky in it. Control panel was much much better.

Banzi, Jun 3, 2015
  12. rfruth Win User
    rfruth, Jun 3, 2015
  13. Dude Win User

I can use settings with my mouse and keyboard. And the are not done with the GUI for it. You are rushing to a judgment on something not finished yet.

14. Dude Win User
    Same as above

15. Banzi Win User
    I think you will find the GUI for the settings app is pretty much final. No new features will be added to any new builds & will just be bugfixes if they really want to hit the 29th July release date. Personally I find there are too many concessions to touch just like there was in Windows 8x

Banzi, Jun 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Why the need for "Settings"? - Similar Threads - Why need Settings

2. Why are some of my windows settings saying needs organization or smth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are some of my windows settings saying needs organization or smth: Please help idk why it says this im the owner of my computer please tell me ways to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-some-of-my-windows-settings-saying-needs/313b3fb5-f002-4f6b-8e64-b003daab0851
  3. Why are some of my windows settings saying needs organization or smth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are some of my windows settings saying needs organization or smth: Please help idk why it says this im the owner of my computer please tell me ways to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-some-of-my-windows-settings-saying-needs/313b3fb5-f002-4f6b-8e64-b003daab0851
  4. Why are some of my windows settings saying needs organization or smth

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Why do I need to change power settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I need to change power settings?: Hello,I usually use the clock app on Windows 11 when I exercise. Today, when I clicked on it, I get the message below. However, I don't think that there is anything wrong with my laptop battery. Any help or suggestions as to what this means?...
  6. Why do I need to change power settings?

Why do I need to change power settings?: Hello,I usually use the clock app on Windows 11 when I exercise. Today, when I clicked on it, I get the message below. However, I don't think that there is anything wrong with my laptop battery. Any help or suggestions as to what this means?...
  7. " client settings need to be updated to Microsoft Exchange" Why? I'm using Gmail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    " client settings need to be updated to Microsoft Exchange" Why? I'm using Gmail: Suddenly I can't send an email and am getting "client settings need to be updated to Microsoft Exchange" Other than Windows I'm not using any Microsoft products as far as I know. Strictly Chrome and Gmail. It asks for my Microsoft 365 address, which I've never heard of and...
  8. " client settings need to be updated to Microsoft Exchange" Why? I'm using Gmail

" client settings need to be updated to Microsoft Exchange" Why? I'm using Gmail: Suddenly I can't send an email and am getting "client settings need to be updated to Microsoft Exchange" Other than Windows I'm not using any Microsoft products as far as I know. Strictly Chrome and Gmail. It asks for my Microsoft 365 address, which I've never heard of and...
  9. " client settings need to be updated to Microsoft Exchange" Why? I'm using Gmail

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Need help in firewall setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need help in firewall setting: I have 2 anti-viruses being installed on my personal computer. One is from my employer as I am working from home and another one is mine.One is Kapersky Mine and K7 security employer.How do I disable/ reroute all of my firewall setting through Kapersky?I am not tech savvy, so...