Windows 10: why when i sort search results does it run again?

Discus and support why when i sort search results does it run again? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If i do a search and I see all the files and I want to sort them by name, I have to do that. Upon doing that, it performs the search again. It seems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ironfist, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ironfist Win User

why when i sort search results does it run again?

If i do a search and I see all the files and I want to sort them by name, I have to do that. Upon doing that, it performs the search again. It seems like it should just use the results and resort them.

:)

ironfist, Nov 14, 2017

2. sort search results without searching AGAIN

Hi,

The feature that you are looking for is not available. You can visit
    Microsoft Feedback Hub
    to post your comments and suggestions.

Regards.

Robelene Win, Nov 14, 2017
  3. sort search results without searching AGAIN

Windows search functionality has become a joke. That correct, productive behavior would be considered a "feature" that isn't available, is just sad.

Michael_000, Nov 14, 2017
  4. why when i sort search results does it run again?

You are searching through Windows Explorer?

Adjusting your searching criteria would mean Windows needs to reindex what it is presenting to you, therefore, researching the information.

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 14, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Assuming you're using file explorer, do you mean you are e.g. using Details view and organising the results by clicking the column headings- or something else?

why when i sort search results does it run again? [​IMG]

dalchina, Nov 14, 2017
  6. dmholt57 Win User
    Adding the Folder in Windows Search Index may provide some relief... *Nerd

dmholt57, Nov 14, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Agreed- in my example the folders are indexed, and clicking on the column headers to sort the results gives an 'instant' result.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

why when i sort search results does it run again?

1. why when i sort search results does it run again? - Similar Threads - why sort search

2. So there's no way to sort Explorer search results by path now?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    So there's no way to sort Explorer search results by path now?: I had to search my entire boot drive for a filename containing a particular string. The default search-results view tucked the path of each matching file under the filename, so there was no way to sort by it so I could skip directories in the result list I knew were...
  3. So there's no way to sort Explorer search results by path now?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So there's no way to sort Explorer search results by path now?: I had to search my entire boot drive for a filename containing a particular string. The default search-results view tucked the path of each matching file under the filename, so there was no way to sort by it so I could skip directories in the result list I knew were...
  4. So there's no way to sort Explorer search results by path now?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why Does Family Safety NOT Block Windows Search Web Results.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Does Family Safety NOT Block Windows Search Web Results.: I have a user account for my children on my computer. I use Microsoft family safety to block certain apps and all websites expect for a few educational ones. Everything works perfectly except for the fact that using windows search on the taskbar will still bring up web...
  6. Windows 10 Search Results sorting priortiy

Windows 10 Search Results sorting priortiy: I have a drive with folders name with only numeric values, 1 through 10000+. The explorer window sorts correctly in ascending or descending numeric value, but when i use the Windows Explorer search function, it seems to completely ignore any folder over 9999. I would like a...
  7. Why does window have to search again when I sort the searched results

Why does window have to search again when I sort the searched results: Its very frustrating when I do big folder searches. Is there a way to stop file explorer to re-search when I sort the searched results ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-window-have-to-search-again-when-i-sort/e43d625d-92f9-4a9c-915d-8e7ff90f1261
  8. File explorer sort search results by relevance

File explorer sort search results by relevance: How could I sort the search results in file explorer by relevance to the syntax phrase that I wrote in the search bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-sort-search-results-by-relevance/f70d3cbe-21b8-47fe-97d7-05071ad222ae
  9. Sorting Search Results Changes Date Accessed

Sorting Search Results Changes Date Accessed: When I use the search feature of File Explorer in Windows 10 to generate a list of files that meet a certain criteria a partial name search or a date accessed range for example it behaves as expected returning a list of files. If, however, I then click on the file name...
  10. Search does not display any results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search does not display any results: The title says everything. I rebuilt the index, moved it to another disk, rebuilt again without any result: no results in the search window. Cortana is off and web searching is off. Even if web searching is on, there are no search results in the window. This has never...