Windows 10: Why Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool isn't obsolete yet?

Discus and support Why Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool isn't obsolete yet? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I don't get the point about MSRT. Why do you have to download and run it EVERY FRIGGING MONTH? *Confused*Confused*Confused Isn't WD enough? As it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by eLPuSHeR, May 5, 2016.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Why Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool isn't obsolete yet?

I don't get the point about MSRT. Why do you have to download and run it EVERY FRIGGING MONTH? *Confused*Confused*Confused

Isn't WD enough? As it scans your system automatically when idle and it has got REAL TIME protection...

Or does MSRT do something that other AVs can't do?

What do you think?

:)

eLPuSHeR, May 5, 2016
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

Why is Microsoft Malicious software removal tool update on hour 14 & still 'updating'?

Hello,

We may not determine what's causing the issue yet until we try to isolate the problem. We'd like to clarify, which update are you trying to install? Is it Windows update or anti virus update? If possible, can you send us a screenshot of the issue?

Looking forward to your response.

Dyan Rey, May 5, 2016
  3. AlPace Win User
    Why is Microsoft Malicious software removal tool update on hour 14 & still 'updating'?

Had to buy a new hard drive & install windows updates. I get to the 9th of 10, the malicious software removal tool, and started that at about 8pm last night. Woke & still in exact same spot 'updating more than 3/4 the way through. I had NO other anti virus
    on this to interfere with the update. I just did install my Bitdefender total security 2018 on it. But still lagging & not completing the install. Any suggestions? Thank you.

* Moved from Virus & Malware

AlPace, May 5, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

You're correct, for a protected system it may be overkill.

It was designed and intended for systems running windows that do not have or run an AV.

It downloads on patch Tuesday and runs in the background, typically targeting things MS had identified as widespread within the windows environment, candidates are malware that create botnets, etc.

It was a way that MS could try to constrain those types of infections, and get rid of them on systems where the unsuspecting users would not even know they were infected, or have a need to try to remove them IMO.

RWOne, May 5, 2016
  5. Borg 386 Win User
    It doesn't hurt to have something check out your system. Any help nowadays can be appreciated.

If you don't want it to run during installation of updates, you can do what I do. I d/l the standalone tool, run it before I check for updates & then it's usually not listed on the updates & won't run during installation of patches. I also keep it in a location that I can easily access in case I need to run it for some reason or another.

In the past, these MSRT's had a habit of accumulating in a system folder & taking up space. Not sure if it does it now since I switched to doing it the way I described.

Borg 386, May 6, 2016
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Yep. It doesn't hurt as you say but I am not very fond of doing/having redundant things. I think it should be used only when no a/v is detected (or when WD is disabled).

eLPuSHeR, May 7, 2016
  7. Once a month isn't a bad thing to have happen

garydexter, May 9, 2016
  8. Why Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool isn't obsolete yet?

Disable Malicious Software Removal Tool offered via Windows Updates - run CMD as admin and enter:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v DontOfferThroughWUAU /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool isn't obsolete yet? - Similar Threads - Why Malicious Software

2. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool: I have been using Windows 11 since last September 2023, and running Version 23H2.As with Windows 10 previously, I note that every month, a new update of the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool arrives with the daily update of Microsoft available software.The last update...
  3. malicious software removal tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    malicious software removal tool: Is there anyway to determine if the tool removed anything during the W11 update process? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malicious-software-removal-tool/cd9309e3-4ce2-4bea-aac9-af0b052f78ca
  4. malicious software removal tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    malicious software removal tool: Is there anyway to determine if the tool removed anything during the W11 update process? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malicious-software-removal-tool/cd9309e3-4ce2-4bea-aac9-af0b052f78ca
  5. Malicious software removal tool

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malicious software removal tool: As part of the regular patch tuesday, MS released a malicious software removal tool. This year that frequency went from monthly to quarterly, and event that varies. This month (Nov 20) there's a new one out, 2 months after the last one: KB890830 v5.84, and it's been detected...
  6. Malicious Software Removal Tool

Malicious Software Removal Tool: The most recent malicious software removal tool download from Windows Update was May 12. Has Microsoft ended the MSR tool program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/malicious-software-removal-tool/8793a7d4-e58a-42c3-b839-0336a299ab4c
  7. Malicious software removal tool

Malicious software removal tool: I have Windows 8.1. When I run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, I always get 1 Malware found. It appears to show when the process gets to around where the Program x86 folder is, cannot say for sure since in processes so fast. It also could be around the...
  8. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool: After the last Windows 10 update I cannot see Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. Is it missing in the last build? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-malicious-software-removal-tool/a04fa90e-fd45-4404-9f17-ec763d2e3701
  9. Malicious Software Removal Tool

Malicious Software Removal Tool: I have Norton Antivirus on my computer and two or three times now I have seen a pop up in the bottom right corner from Norton which says "Malicious software removal tool was blocked from accessing the internet". It seems weird that my Antivirus would block a tool which is on...
  10. Malicious Software Removal Tool

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Malicious Software Removal Tool: *Info Shawn has posted a formal announcement of this on this thread: Update: KB890830 update for Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2017 - Windows 10 Forums TC I just did a Check for Updates (WU) and got this. Out of the blue in the middle of the month?...