Windows 10: Why Won't Samsung Data Migration Clone The System Reserve Partion?

Discus and support Why Won't Samsung Data Migration Clone The System Reserve Partion? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; As a part of my maintenance I always clone my SSD periodically to an identical Samsung SSD. I just did so on my new WIN 10 desktop. While the clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by poolmon, Aug 3, 2018.

1. poolmon Win User

Why Won't Samsung Data Migration Clone The System Reserve Partion?

As a part of my maintenance I always clone my SSD periodically to an identical Samsung SSD.
    I just did so on my new WIN 10 desktop. While the clone works fine its missing the 450mg System Reserve/Recovery Partition (SRP). This was not an issue in WIN 7and I use the same USB3 to SATA Cable.

1. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

2. What, if any, issues will I encounter down the road operating without a SRP on WIN 10 Home Edition?

:)

poolmon, Aug 3, 2018
  2. RBDJM01 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade fails "Cannot access system reserved partition" on cloned SSD using Samsung Data Migration

I recently installed new Samsung SSD's in several systems. I used the Samsung Data Migration tool (version 2.7) to move from my old HDD to the new SSD on 3 systems.Things worked fine, system has worked great for months. Windows 8.1 (Before and after migration)

Then I tried to install the Windows 10 upgrade this weekend. It downloaded, then started the install process of checking my system. It stopped there and said Windows 10 cannot run on this system, "Cannot access system reserved partition".

After researching this problem, I checked the System Reserved partition and it was no longer named "System Reserved", the Samsung Data Migration software renamed the partition to "Data" when it did the migration. I confirmed this by checking the original
    HDD it was migrated from. This occurred on all 3 systems I used the Samsung Data Migration software on to install the SSD's.

I tried renaming the partition and it did not solve the problem. I eventually reinstalled Windows 8, did all the updates, including 8.1, and then Windows 10 installed without a problem. The "System Reserved" partition was 100MB with 58MB free, only difference
    was the name of the partition.

I installed the Windows 10 update on a system that still had the "System Reserved" partition (100MB by the way) and it loaded fine. So I am assuming the problem is that Windows 10 could not identify the "System Reserved" partition because it was renamed
    to "Data". Is this likely? If so, does anyone know any other solution?

I still have 2 systems to upgrade and I do not want to reinstall Windows 8 again on each one, very time consuming. And I am sure many other people who used the Samsung Data Migration software will have this problem.

Thanks!

RBDJM01, Aug 3, 2018
  3. Cvjack1 Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade fails "Cannot access system reserved partition" on cloned SSD using Samsung Data Migration

Their suggestions never work.

Cvjack1, Aug 3, 2018
  4. RBDJM01 Win User

Sorry, I did not really think your suggestion was going to work because it had nothing to do with the drivers or conflicts, it was a problem with the System Reserved partition. And I was right, your recommendation had not effect and returned the same error.

I did however use EaseUS partition manager to rename the system reserved partition from "Data" to "System Reserved" and Windows 10 loaded without a problem and is running fine. Someone needs to let Samsung know their migration software is making it difficult
    to do upgrades. I found it also terminated my ability to do a restore.

So, I resolved it myself, all is good now.

Thanks anyway

RBDJM01, Aug 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Why Won't Samsung Data Migration Clone The System Reserve Partion? - Similar Threads - Why Won't Samsung

2. Samsung data migration software clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Samsung data migration software clone: Cloning to my new samsung 860 EVO using their software, for one of my 5 PC's Seems very easy. software is saying about ah hour to finish. My spinner drive has gotten slow to the point of why put up with it anymore. Running latest oct update 2020 win 10 2H2O 2OH2 or whatever...
  3. Samsung data migration software clone

in Windows 10 Support
    Samsung data migration software clone: Cloning to my new samsung 860 EVO using their software, for one of my 5 PC's Seems very easy. software is saying about ah hour to finish. My spinner drive has gotten slow to the point of why put up with it anymore. Running latest oct update 2020 win 10 2H2O 2OH2 or whatever...
  4. Samsung Data Migration stuck at 0%, 99% or 100%

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung Data Migration stuck at 0%, 99% or 100%: [ATTACH]Cloning your hard drive or migrating data between hard drives or SSDs used to […] This article Samsung Data Migration stuck at 0%, 99% or 100% first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Samsung Data Migration: Cloning Failed, An error occurred while reading the disk

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung Data Migration: Cloning Failed, An error occurred while reading the disk: [ATTACH]Samsung Data Migration is a software that allows users to clone HDD or SSD to Samsung branded SSD. It is the easiest way to switch […] This post Samsung Data Migration: Cloning Failed, An error occurred while reading the disk is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. reinstalled win10 on new drive & cant see system reserved partion.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstalled win10 on new drive & cant see system reserved partion.: Background. My old HD (disk 0) is looking faulty so I installed a new drive (disk 1) and did fresh win10 install. I left Disk 0 in PC to test/reformat etc. I now want to partition new C: drive so I have a separate smaller boot partition for cloning/ win reinstall but am...
  7. windows cannot update system reserved partion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows cannot update system reserved partion: windows won't update system reserved partition. how do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-cannot-update-system-reserved-partion/2f943836-5464-4673-b605-115393033fca
  8. Why Won't Samsung Magician Clone The System Reserve Partion?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why Won't Samsung Magician Clone The System Reserve Partion?: As a part of my maintenance I always clone my SSD periodically to an identical Samsung SSD. I just did so on my new WIN 10 desktop. While the clone works fine its missing the 450mg System Reserve Partition (SRP). This was not an issue in WIN 7and I use the same USB3 to SATA...
  9. Samsung data migration cannot recognize my Samsung SSD 840 EVO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung data migration cannot recognize my Samsung SSD 840 EVO: Like you, I encountered source disk bad sectors error when cloning with Samsung migration software. Resolved by using EaseUS Tool to clone. 26161
  10. System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk: I just noticed, after over almost 2 years with Win10, that my system disk (MBR) has a System Reserved partition. I had thought that didn't happen on an MBR disk. Is it needed and can I remove it? Thank you. 79902

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why when a hdd is cloned the cloned data is always less

2. samsung data migration left my source disk partition as system reserved

3. samsung migration did not recovery partition

4. samsung cloning not identify the recovery partion,
  5. why is there more than 1 partion on my windows 10 hdd,
  6. samsung did not clone recovery partion