Windows 10: Why won't this Start Menu/Programs folder go away?!

Discus and support Why won't this Start Menu/Programs folder go away?! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I maintain a customised Start menu and have the folders under "Programs" renamed and re-ordered in categories that are meaningful to me. But Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Meaney, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Meaney Win User

Why won't this Start Menu/Programs folder go away?!

I maintain a customised Start menu and have the folders under "Programs" renamed and re-ordered in categories that are meaningful to me. But Windows 10 keeps changing it; specifically, the "Windows Administrative Tools" folder. I have that folder nested under "System" but Windows 10 keeps creating it again (as an empty folder) under the "root" folder of "Programs". I keep deleting it and Windows keeps re-creating it. Windows 7 used to do this, too. It drives me !@#$ crazy. How do I make Windows cut it out?!
    *Banghead

:)

Meaney, Nov 11, 2016
  2. MexyD Win User

Where do the Programs go???????

Hi All,

Sometimes, after I've installed a program (or discovered it in my program list) it disappears from the Programs folder ....

Where does it go?

Case in point: the Audio Manager. Used to be in my Programs folder. Not there anymore. Sometimes it's in the Start Menu ... but I dont understand why it disappeared.... is there a limit on the number of programs that can appear in the Programs folder??

Help plz??

Mexy

MexyD, Nov 11, 2016
  3. Where do the Programs go???????

MexyD wrote:

Hi All,

Sometimes, after I've installed a program (or discovered it in my program list) it disappears from the Programs folder ....

Where does it go?

Case in point: the Audio Manager. Used to be in my Programs folder. Not there anymore. Sometimes it's in the Start Menu ... but I dont understand why it disappeared.... is there a limit on the number of programs that can appear in the Programs folder??

Help plz??

Mexy

Applications are executed by selecting shortcuts that are found either in the Programs screen (tap Start > Programs) or by selecting shortcuts that are found on the Start Menu. If you choose to run an application from the start menu (by tapping Start > Settings
    > Personal tab > Menus icon > placing a checkmark in the box next to the application) the shortcut for the application is moved from the \windows\startmenu\programs folder into the \windows\startmenu folder.

Sometimes when you install software, the application will automatically be set up to run from the start menu (I reallyhate it when that happens because I usually spend a few minutes looking for the icon before I find it in the start menu). When that happens,
    you can remove the icon from the Start Menu and get it into the Programs screen by tapping Start > Settings > Personal tab > Menus icon > remove the checkmark.

Julie fka profjulie, Nov 11, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

To see nested folders you must be using a custom Start menu such as Classic Shell, the standard Start flattens out sub folders and only has a two level display. I don't have Classic Shell, so can't reproduce your symptoms.

Having said that, I've just make a folder appear or disappear at will on a normal Start menu. I very much doubt you can stop Windows creating one of its default folders if it sees it's gone missing - so let it make Administrative Tools then make it a hidden folder instead of deleting it. I suspect this will have the effect you want (not seeing it) but Windows will be happy that it exists, so won't try to change things. Works for a standard Start menu, don't see any reason why it shouldn't work the same with Classic Shell.

5. Meaney Win User
    Hi, Bree. You're absolutely right that I am using Classic Shell. I should of course have mentioned that! *Doh

Your tip worked a charm. Thank you! *Party

Meaney, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why won't this Start Menu/Programs folder go away?! - Similar Threads - Why won't Start

2. Windows explorer menu bar won't go away.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer menu bar won't go away.: I've tried everything: folder settings menu settings missing, registry editing doesn't do anything, restarted explorer.exe a million times. EIther picture 1 or picture 2 is the result. I've recently updated Windows so I'm suspecting that may be the issue. Has anyone...
  3. Windows explorer menu bar won't go away.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer menu bar won't go away.: I've tried everything: folder settings menu settings missing, registry editing doesn't do anything, restarted explorer.exe a million times. EIther picture 1 or picture 2 is the result. I've recently updated Windows so I'm suspecting that may be the issue. Has anyone...
  4. OneDrive won't go away

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive won't go away: Hey hey!So, I don't like the cloud. I don't want my stuff saved anywhere in the cyberspaces. When I got my compy fixed after my HD bit the dust, upon setting up windows again, I guess I missed the part where it asks you if you want to use OneDrive and stuff started backing...
  5. OneDrive won't go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive won't go away: Hey hey!So, I don't like the cloud. I don't want my stuff saved anywhere in the cyberspaces. When I got my compy fixed after my HD bit the dust, upon setting up windows again, I guess I missed the part where it asks you if you want to use OneDrive and stuff started backing...
  6. Help! Folder won't go away!

in Windows 10 Support
    Help! Folder won't go away!: Since yesterday I have a HUGE problem, one of my folders just refuses to leave the desktop. You can put stuff in it, but you won't get it out again. Windows says it's not to be found but IT IS RIGHT THERE! I tried several ways to get rid of it (trying to unlock the folder,...
  7. Taskbar won't go away!

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar won't go away!: Windows 10 / Version 1903 OS build 18.362.778 (64-bit version) I've been having this problem for a while. The taskbar used to occasionally, randomly and regularly stay at the bottom of the screen. It wouldn't hide itself (as it was set up to do) until I opened the Task...
  8. Number badge in "All programs" section of the Start menu wont go away

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Number badge in "All programs" section of the Start menu wont go away: [ATTACH] Just finished building my new PC, with fresh windows install. In my start menu, on the left side, where you can select pinned tiles, all apps, etc., there is a little number badge (saying "1") on the "all apps" button. It does this when you have a new app...
  9. Start Menu and Programs Won't Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Programs Won't Open: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, it will show starting Word...
  10. start menu does not go away

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu does not go away: i click on the start icon and the start menu appears. i click on the tile for the program i want to use and the program opens, but the start menu does not go away (i have to click on it to make it go away). i think it used to disappear when the program opens. am i wrong? is...