Windows 10: why wont windows recognize when I have my second monitor turned off?

Discus and support why wont windows recognize when I have my second monitor turned off? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; why wont windows recognize when I have my second monitor turned off? Hi all. I find it very frustrating when I have my second monitor turned off but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kingpinnz, May 28, 2018.

1. Kingpinnz Win User

why wont windows recognize when I have my second monitor turned off?

Hi all.

I find it very frustrating when I have my second monitor turned off but not unplugged from the hdmi port that windows treats everything as tho it is still turned on.

I have been annoyed by this "issue" since at least Vista so I dont think its a windows 10 only thing.

Im I wrong to think that this should be something that the OS should notice?

so in case im not making myself clear this is the issue:

I run a Toshiba laptop as my main computer (tho I have an Asus and an old compaq and they all do the same thing) and I run a nice big Samsung monitor directly above it via HDMI.
    My laptop is basically always on as I use it for music and even a clock at night time. I dont run the second monitor unless im actually at the desk actively doing something on the computer.
    Very often Ill close all my programs down and unless i drag them to the laptop monitor and close them they will open on the monitor they were last running on....even if that monitor (ie the second monitor) is turned off.

Am I missing something? Surely the OS should recognise that the second monitor is powered off and treat it as tho it was unplugged?

I have googled this several times but there are so many "why wont windows detect my second monitor" threads that I cant find any info on the issue im having.

Maybe im not having an issue....maybe this is normal. If so ill add this to my "reasons why windows sucks" list lol

thanks in advance

Brett

:)

Kingpinnz, May 28, 2018

2. Windows 10 Won't Recognize Second Monitor Via HDMI

Hello,

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Karthik Vengaloor” replied on May 19, 2013 in the Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

windows 8 will not recognize my second monitor

Note: The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

ThofikhAhamad, May 28, 2018
  3. I accidentally hit the update button instead of postpone and now my second monitor does not work.

Hello,

I suggest you to unplug the cable from the monitor and connect to the second monitor, and check if it works.

Also, suggest you to follow the below steps, and check if it helps.
    1. Press Windows + X, and select Device manager.
    2. Check if the second monitor is listed under Monitor.

Also, recommend you to refer below link answered by

KelvinNikkel , and check if it helps in resolving the issue.
    Why Does My Second Monitor Not Work With The Windows 10 Update?

Do let us know with the update of the issue.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, May 28, 2018
Thema:

1. why wont windows recognize when I have my second monitor turned off? - Similar Threads - why wont recognize

2. Why is my second monitor turning off when I turn off my TV? Also Windows forgetting audio...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my second monitor turning off when I turn off my TV? Also Windows forgetting audio...: When I turn off my third monitor TV, my second monitor on my desk shuts off when the tv is turned off. When I go to display options, it shows that the monitor disabled itself. When I re-enable, suddenly the TV won't connect because Windows disabled it for some unknown reason,...
  3. Why is my second monitor turning off when I turn off my TV? Also Windows forgetting audio...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my second monitor turning off when I turn off my TV? Also Windows forgetting audio...: When I turn off my third monitor TV, my second monitor on my desk shuts off when the tv is turned off. When I go to display options, it shows that the monitor disabled itself. When I re-enable, suddenly the TV won't connect because Windows disabled it for some unknown reason,...
  4. monitor turns off for 2 seconds when windows is turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    monitor turns off for 2 seconds when windows is turned on: When Windows is turned on, the monitor goes blank for 2 seconds, and then turns on. it looks very tense, it feels like he is reconnecting. it all started after reinstalling windows, it didn't happen before. new drivers. everything is fine with the monitor, new, the computer...
  5. monitor turns off for 2 seconds when windows is turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    monitor turns off for 2 seconds when windows is turned on: When Windows is turned on, the monitor goes blank for 2 seconds, and then turns on. it looks very tense, it feels like he is reconnecting. it all started after reinstalling windows, it didn't happen before. new drivers. everything is fine with the monitor, new, the computer...
  6. monitor turns off for 2 seconds when windows is turned on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Second monitor connect when the second monitor turn off. when i plug on the monitor, second...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Second monitor connect when the second monitor turn off. when i plug on the monitor, second...: i dont waht really going on. when my second montiro turn off and didnt connect to power source . my leptop detected the second monitor [ATTACH] but the name Generic PnP Monitor not the monitor type. and then i plug the monitor to power resource, the windows wont recognize...
  8. Second Monitor Restarts When Turning Off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Second Monitor Restarts When Turning Off: When the power settings turn my monitors off after the designated time, my secondary monitor will enter power saving mode. I'll then immediately hear the sound of a device disconnecting from the system, then reconnecting. At that point, the second monitor will wake up and...
  9. My second monitor keeps turning off and on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My second monitor keeps turning off and on: I have 2 monitors connected to my pc. I reset my pc a week ago and when I got windows running my second monitor starts turning off and on when I’m playing a game and alt+tab out. Anyone know how to fix this? submitted by /u/TRxz-FariZKiller [link] [comments]...
  10. why windows not recognize when I have my second monitor turned off?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    why windows not recognize when I have my second monitor turned off?: why wont windows recognize when I have my second monitor turned off? Hi all. I find it very frustrating when I have my second monitor turned off but not unplugged from the hdmi port that windows treats everything as tho it is still turned on. I have been annoyed by this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does windows recognize a monitor thats turned off