Windows 10: Why would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade?

Discus and support Why would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, Just sort of curious, I noticed that in disk management that I had 4 drives listed C: GAMES (H:) STORAGE (F:) HONDA AND VOLVO (D:)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Traijan, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

Why would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade?

Hey,

Just sort of curious, I noticed that in disk management that I had 4 drives listed

C:
    GAMES (HWhy would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade? :)
    STORAGE (FWhy would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade? :)
    HONDA AND VOLVO (DWhy would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade? :)

But then there was another drive simply listed as "GAMES".
    I always thought it was just some screw up and a duplicate of the H drive (since they both are named as "GAMES") which has games on it but the odd part was that it didn't have a drive letter associated with it after the upgrade to 10.

So I assigned a drive letter to it (AWhy would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade? :) and looked into it in File Explorer and it's definitely a physical drive as the info is all there and not a duplicate of the H drive.

It was a listed drive in Windows 7 so wondering why the drive letter was removed during the Windows 10 upgrade.

Any clues? I know it's an odd situation, but maybe somebody else has also experienced this.

:)

Traijan, Aug 30, 2015
  2. EdRoman Win User

"This file doesn't have a program associated with it for performing......". Error message when trying to get task manager, and command prompt, after a three hour windows update.

Thanks for all your help. However, I am still not understanding what may have happened. First, why did the automatic windows update take more than three or four hours to download and install? Second, what could have caused my computer to run so slowly
    after the install......at least for a long period of time? It was almost as if after my windows desktop screen finally appeared (after 30-60 min), there was something still being installed, or running, which taxed my resources so that everything ran some
    fifty times slower.

EdRoman, Aug 30, 2015
  3. "This file doesn't have a program associated with it for performing......". Error message when trying to get task manager, and command prompt, after a three hour windows update.

Thank you for sharing the resolution that worked for you. This will help other Community members who are having the same issue. Should you need further assistance or have other concerns, feel free to share your thoughts with us.

Regards.

Lov Dollente, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Could you post images off your Disk Management and This PC, windows? Thanks

Snakeyes, Aug 30, 2015
  5. Yes, screen shot of disk management please. There are some hidden system partitions that don't get assigned a drive letter. This by design. Sounds like one of those might have accidentally gotten renamed to games.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade? - Similar Threads - Why HDD letter

2. activation after upgrading my HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    activation after upgrading my HDD: Im going to upgrade my HDD however Im afraid I will loss my activation. I dont want to buy a new license since Im using this for a long time now. How can I install Windows at the same time retain my license. I have Windows 10 Home. Please help me....
  3. Formatting HDD with windows 10 after free upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Formatting HDD with windows 10 after free upgrade: I have to format laptop on which My original License was for Windows 7 and I upgraded it free for Windows 10 during Microsoft "Windows 10 Upgrade free" scheme. How I will Windows 10 on formatted Laptop with License?...
  4. No file associations after Windows version upgrades

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No file associations after Windows version upgrades: Hi, does anyone have an idea why I always lose my standard file associations when I update Windows 10 with a new feature update through Windows Update?? All the time I'm losing my already made program file type associations. Windows always wants to know what program I want to...
  5. Why Would Windows Think an HDD is an SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why Would Windows Think an HDD is an SSD?: I recently changed an SSD for a large HDD, but Windows still seems to think that the new drive is an SSD. Does anyone know why this has happened and what I should do to correct the problem? 158332
  6. Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10: Hello, After I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 1909, my C drive became F, and the hidden recovery partition became the new C. As a result the PC cannot boot goes to BSOD with stop code 7b, so I was forced to restore the system image that I created before the upgrade....
  7. Increase allocation letters HDD

Increase allocation letters HDD: Hello, asks if I hesitate a way or a tweak to increase allocation letters to the disk drives. Generally they are 26 and go from A to Z, I ask if it is possible to increase this range by entering numbers, eg. A1, B1, A2, B2, etc ... [ATTACH] Thank you 137180
  8. Increase allocation letters HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Increase allocation letters HDD: Hello, asks if I hesitate a way or a tweak to increase allocation letters to the disk drives. Generally they are 26 and go from A to Z, I ask if it is possible to increase this range by entering numbers, eg. A1, B1, A2, B2, etc ... [ATTACH] Thank you 137180
  9. External HDD not working after windows 10 upgrade

External HDD not working after windows 10 upgrade: I upgraded my Acer Aspire 5750G from Windows 7 to 10 today. My Toshiba STOR.E Basics 1 TB HDD was working at first, but later when I tried to access it, it gives me an error saying "E:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." I checked the Device Status and it read...
  10. Why would a new Laptop have an upgraded version of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why would a new Laptop have an upgraded version of Windows 10?: I've got a brand new, current model, HP Pavilion laptop here. On the C drive I see a Windows.old folder and Windows10Upgrade assistant folder. It seems as though they loaded an old version of Windows 10 (or previous Windows version) at the factory and upgraded it to the...