Windows 10: Why would a new Laptop have an upgraded version of Windows 10?

Discus and support Why would a new Laptop have an upgraded version of Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got a brand new, current model, HP Pavilion laptop here. On the C drive I see a Windows.old folder and Windows10Upgrade assistant folder. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TV2, Mar 19, 2017.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Why would a new Laptop have an upgraded version of Windows 10?

I've got a brand new, current model, HP Pavilion laptop here.
    On the C drive I see a Windows.old folder and Windows10Upgrade assistant folder.

It seems as though they loaded an old version of Windows 10 (or previous Windows version) at the factory and upgraded it to the current version (Version 1607).

Why would they do it this way? Isn't that terribly inefficient?

:)

2. Why would creating a new Microsoft account be an option?

Of course you can use whatever Microsoft account you want to use when you set the account up on your phone. What exactly is the problem you are experiencing that makes you think you need to create a different Microsoft account?

Julie fka profjulie, Mar 19, 2017
  3. Why would creating a new Microsoft account be an option?

What about windows phone? And why would creating a new Microsoft account be an option? I may as well switch to android if I can't use my Microsoft account that is connected with pretty much everything in my life. That's the point of having it connected.

DanielJackson, Mar 19, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

It may have been shipped a long time ago and only resently made it to the sale point so it would be uptodate when it left hp but out of date now hence the update

Samuria, Mar 19, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I would contact HP and see what they say, or contact the seller you bought it from.

Ztruker, Mar 19, 2017
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I didn't buy it. I think she got it from an Amazon reseller. Came in an HP box.
    This is more of a curiosity than a problem.

Thing is, this model is touted as their brand new line (Pavillion Z2K95UA). 7th gen processor.

Version 1607 was pre-loaded and running on first start. Seems genuine.

I thought that the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant software was used to upgrade Win 7 & 8 users to Win10. And that free offer expired last summer. I think before the 7th gen processors came out mainstream.
    That upgrade assistant isn't used for the upgrade from W10 version 15 to 16 is it?

And the Windows.old folder shows that the laptop was upgraded from a previous Windows version (7 or 8), correct?
    The Windows 10 version upgrade to 1607 from Windows Update didn't create a windows.old did it? I can't recall.

7. Samuria Win User
    You can run upgrade at anytime if you go onto media.creation tool site it gives you the option

Samuria, Mar 19, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

@TV2,

If it came from a re-seller from Amazon, they may have taken a new HP (as in not previously sold), ran it thru the Update process, and never cleaned it up. Could also be refurbished by the re-seller and upgraded. Suggest you make a complete image backup as is, then run Disk Cleanup on it. That will preserve the original, and get rid of the Windows.old. It may not delete the Assistant, but that can be deleted manually.

TC

f14tomcat, Mar 19, 2017
  9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Thanks. I did that image as a matter of course. I imaged the entire Disk before starting work on it (re-partitioning the disk and customizing Windows)

I ran Disk Cleanup, Cleanup System Files, last night. It spent a long time working on "old windows installations". Afterward the Windows.old folder is still there, as is the Upgrade software. It's smaller, just not gone. I will delete these manually after a couple of registry checks for good measure.
    Strange the entire folder didn't go.

HP BIOS usually has a "Born On" date in settings. I will check that out of curiosity today.

10. f14tomcat Win User
    The Windows.old folder may still have a driver the system is pointing to open, so it won't let you delete it. Boot up in safe mode, delete the Windows.old folder, reboot normally.

What, exactly, is your Windows version? I thought they (MS) had fixed that. WIN KEY + R, WINVER, Enter

f14tomcat, Mar 19, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Instead of messing around trying to clean up what is there, why not just clean install Windows 10?

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2017
  12. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Version 1607, Build 14393.953

13. simpk5 Win User

Why not see how many hours are on the hard drive via SMART parameters? Will give you an idea of how much usage the device really has.

simpk5, Mar 19, 2017
  14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Not my machine. If were mine I would do that right off.
    I suggested it once to her. No sale.

Again, I'd just like to figure out why. I'll clean it up regardless.

15. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Good suggestion!

Thema:

1. Why would a new Laptop have an upgraded version of Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Why Laptop upgraded

2. I have a new laptop with windows 11 home but i want to upgrade it to PRO version. Will it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a new laptop with windows 11 home but i want to upgrade it to PRO version. Will it...: I have a new laptop with windows 11 home but i want to upgrade it to PRO version. Will it change to PRO by just changing the product keys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-new-laptop-with-windows-11-home-but-i/7e3114df-10b8-465d-91a4-29475d434cd2
  3. I have a new laptop with windows 11 home but i want to upgrade it to PRO version. Will it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a new laptop with windows 11 home but i want to upgrade it to PRO version. Will it...: I have a new laptop with windows 11 home but i want to upgrade it to PRO version. Will it change to PRO by just changing the product keys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-new-laptop-with-windows-11-home-but-i/7e3114df-10b8-465d-91a4-29475d434cd2
  4. i would like to upgrade my cpu and motherboard to newer versions i have oem version of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i would like to upgrade my cpu and motherboard to newer versions i have oem version of...: i would like to upgrade my cpu and motherboard to newer versions i have oem version of windows can this be done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-my-cpu-and-motherboard-to/cd4b80f8-c980-4ceb-bb33-36514c190b05
  5. i would like to upgrade my cpu and motherboard to newer versions i have oem version of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i would like to upgrade my cpu and motherboard to newer versions i have oem version of...: i would like to upgrade my cpu and motherboard to newer versions i have oem version of windows can this be done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-my-cpu-and-motherboard-to/cd4b80f8-c980-4ceb-bb33-36514c190b05
  6. If I have a cracked version of windows 10 would I be able to update it to a newer version?...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    If I have a cracked version of windows 10 would I be able to update it to a newer version?...: Could anyone help me figure this out? Btw If I check my windows activation key it says this "Windows is activated using your organization's activation service" Is this a good or a bad sign? Have a nice day! and thanks in advance! submitted by /u/Fizzet713 [link]...
  7. Upgrade New Laptop with preinstalled Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade New Laptop with preinstalled Windows 10: I wish to purchase a Dell laptop in India. The pre-installed OS offered is Windows 10 Home Single Language. I require Windows 10 Home that is able to load other languages also. How can the OS be upgraded?...
  8. upgrade to new win 10 version

upgrade to new win 10 version: I'm trying to upgrade to new win 10 version,1st time I waited over 1/2 an hour and still @ 0%,2nd time waited over an hour and still @ 0%,now as I type this question to you it has been 2+ hours and still @ 0%,what's the story here......
  9. why would I want to download version 1903 of windows 10

why would I want to download version 1903 of windows 10: why would I want to download version 1903 of windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-would-i-want-to-download-version-1903-of/dce44ad9-5b4c-4660-987b-1bc7bbe312fd
  10. Why would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why would a HDD have no letter associated with it after 10 upgrade?: Hey, Just sort of curious, I noticed that in disk management that I had 4 drives listed C: GAMES (H:) STORAGE (F:) HONDA AND VOLVO (D:) But then there was another drive simply listed as "GAMES". I always thought it was just some screw up and a duplicate of the H...