Windows 10: Why would I change from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discus and support Why would I change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have now been playing around with the 10TP for quite a while. It is a nice system and with the latest January edition it seems to be pretty stable -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whs, Jan 23, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

Why would I change from Windows 7 to Windows 10

I have now been playing around with the 10TP for quite a while. It is a nice system and with the latest January edition it seems to be pretty stable - although some of the OEMs seemed to not have caught up yet. But that is not a Microsoft problem.

The question I ask myself is why would I give up W7 and go with W10 on my desktop. I have not yet discovered any facilities that would make me swing to W10. The Cortina voice I have switched off and I have no use for OneDrive in that form. What else is there that would be a strong incentive to switch ?? Opinions are very welcome.

:)

2. How to enable cortana on windows 10 PC in india?

I'm using windows 10 Home upgraded from windows 7 home basic. I am from India how can I enable Cortana, if I will have to change the region to US would not it be illegal, also Cortana alpha version is available on windows phone 8.1 why it is not available
    on windows 10 PC, could it be possible that Microsoft would disable Cortana alpha on windows phone after launching windows phone 10.

If changing the region isn't illegal then can I use it that way?. I want to use Cortana on windows 10 PC.

PiyushGoel3020, Jan 23, 2015
  3. Yonic Win User
    Changing the Startup sound of Windows 10

For some odd reason, when I startup Windows 10 and enable "Play Windows Startup sound" via the Sounds window, it plays the Windows Vista/7 startup sound.

I would like to change it, but I have already tried by changing the ExcludeFromCPL value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WindowsLogon to 1.

However, when changing it on the Sounds window again, and play the start up sound from the list, the sound is completely different to the Windows 7 sound (which is the sound I would like to have).

When I saved the changes and rebooted the PC, it still played the original Win7 sound. Why does this happen?

For the record, I am using the Spanish (Spain) version of Windows 10 Home.

Yonic, Jan 23, 2015
  4. AddRAM Win User

Can`t beleive you opened this can of worms Wolfgang *Roflmao2

Excellent question though.

AddRAM, Jan 23, 2015
  5. Dang sure is a good question and *Ditto on the why part and Cortana/ Onedrive stuff/.....
    Settings wise it still seems scattered
    Changes require a restart which is annoying as hell
    Customizations is still very limited
    Spell check seems to leave the room every once in a while :/

beta is still the term that should be used but obviously Microsoft is listening to the wrong people ?

ThrashZone, Jan 23, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    You're asking about the preview edition. When it's finished it will be different. They will fix things for some peoples likes, and others wont like it.

Some will hold out (Like XP users) but eventually you wont be supported any more. By then you will either take what is, or get something else.

7. For me personally 10 is a great improvement from 8-8.1 and well worth upgrading that os imho
    7 not so much and it will take allot to show it's in anyway shape or form an improvement,
    1 basic would be to give back aero glass
    2 would be stop scattering settings around the control panel show have everything or nothing at all.
    3 start menu should have allot more customization options,
    An awesome improvement would be to have an easy way to change the start button *Tongue
    That alone would get my attention *Wink

ThrashZone, Jan 23, 2015
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

I am really not talking about the nits and lice that are to be expected with a beta version. I am talking about functional content. The only app I have seen up to now that is better than what I have in W7 is the weather app. But that is the same in 8.1. As far as basic system functions go I could only identify Cortana and OneDrive. And those I would not use. So what else am I missing as an old fashioned desktop user.

9. Dude Win User
    I completely agree in a way. What i mean is everyone wants the OS how they are comfortable with it, the way it used to be back in 7 or xp so to say.

I totally felt that way before, and did not like W8 at first. Then I used it, figured things out and like it better than 7(8.1 that is, not 8).

My idea, which I'm sure others already had is lets have a W10, with W7 mode(remember when we had that for xp) or is that a bad idea?

I am content with 8.1 now, but I will move on to W10. Sure some things will bother me, but I will adapt*Cool

10. meebers Win User
    I am with you whs. The programs I am running, MS office, Quicken, all the AV/MW still function the same way they are in W7. At this late stage going thru 8, 8.1 and now this latest release, I find myself trying to figure out how to do really simple things, rather than do some productive? work. Some things I noticed, and do not understand, are like I have quicken 2015 on the task bar, when I select it, I get a message that says something like "I've got an app that can do that for you"?? Yet if I select quicken from the "all apps menu" the question does not come up and it goes rightly to quicken. The apps like quicken and MS office still have the red "X" in the upper right corner, W7 style, nothing like the w8/10 apps that just stay open. The windows key makes them go away. Speaking of "all apps", IMO, scrolling the long vertical list arranged in various ways irritates me. But I have noticed, nothing significant yet to make me change my W7 machine. My 8/8.1 I will change because I have been updating the releases on that machine ( I have a clone) to make it back if necessary. My 8.1 tablet will hold off a while until W10 final release, same with my w8.1 phone. I wish W10 had a windshield wiper on the screen that would take all that "metro" stuff off. Why would I change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 :)

meebers, Jan 23, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    That's the wrong question to be asking. When a new model car comes out, do you ask yourself "Why would I give up my current car to get this years model?" No. You just say, "those are nice features, wish I had them" and go one with your day until your car starts to break down or it gets old enough to be out of warranty or whatever reasons you have to buy a new car.

The same is true for an OS for most people. There are people who always have to have the newest model. There are people who just get whatever is the latest when they're buying a new one (computer that is). There are people that have spent damn good money and will not give it up until it's driven into the ground.

The question is, which are you?

We still have not seen all the new features that Microsoft has planned for 10. So saying that it doesn't have anything you want at this point is premature. New releases will bring new features and by the time the release is out, you may well change your mind.

As of right now, if you're using Windows 8 or 8.1, then it's a no brainer. You can think of 10 as 8.2 really, it's a progression along a path that started with 8 and it won't be complete in 10 either. So if you've moved to 8 you should probably move to 10 as well (especially since it will be a free upgrade in the first year).

If you're on 7, well, here are a list of features that I find useful in 8-10 that are not in 7. You may not find them useful, or like them, but just because you don't find them useful doesn't mean others don't. Microsoft cannot appeal to everyone completely as it's a general purpose os. Some features will delight some and annoy others, that's just the way of things.

* Windows Runtime Apps (WinRT.. ie Metro.. Modern.. Windows Store Apps, etc..). This is really the future of Windows, and eventually it will be the primary mode of Windows. You might as well get in on the ground floor rather than be a "Get off my Lawn API" holdout.

* Storage Spaces - For some uses, like large media libraries, it totally beats RAID. Much easier to manage and use.
    * Task Manager - the new Task manager is awesome if you like control over your system
    * File History - Maintains versions of files so you can go back in time.. ala MacOS Time Machine (but not as pretty)
    * Windows To Go - Nuff said, if you like a USB bootable windows
    * Client Hyper-V - No need for third party virtual machine software
    * Virtual Desktops - At first this wasn't very usable, but it's getting more and more so..
    * Support for new hardware - Of course new hardware will only really be fully supported in the new OS, so stuff like NFC, Wireless projection, etc.. you won't find on Windows 7.
    * Faster, uses less memory, uses multiple cores better, uses SSD's better, etc.. (I love my 3 second boot times)

I'm an early adopter.. I like to stay on the bleeding edge. In part, because i'm a software developer, and I need to develop on these systems to ensure compatibility. But also, I buy new hardware all the time, upgrade, and generally want my OS to take advantage of it.

If you like your 2007 era Honda Civic, then by all means.. I'll wave to you as I pass you by *Wink

Mystere, Jan 24, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Wow.. hard to answer but I'll take a stab .. Caveat,, My 2c.. YMMV..

Case for keeping Win7:
    First off, Win7 is a very good OS and it just lets you get your work done with no muss or fuss so that's a big point for it, IMO. And for many that's all that they need or want. Getting work done.

Second, since it's going to get security updates until 2020 there is no rush for anyone using it to upgrade.

Third, and I think the most important is many users don't upgrade OS's. They just live with the one that came on the PC. Just look at the situation with Xp. Need I say more??

Case for upgrading to Win10:
    First, given it's still in Tp it's a very good start to a new OS.

Second, I for one like the new start menu and when we can switch to the start screen it's going to be perfect.

Third, I like some are early adopters and given the price there is no reason not to upgrade. Also, I like the features it keeps from Win8.1. So it's a “win” “win” for me at least.

Conclusion:
    For me at least I no longer have my copies of Win7. I gave them away to members of another forum I'm a member of to individuals that need it. So, right now I have a copy of Win8.1 only. I like it but the features of Win10 are far better for me. Now if I were using Win7, not an early adopter and I just wanted to get work done I would stick with Win7 for some time until the support ran out and then I would upgrade.

Jeff..

BunnyJ, Jan 24, 2015
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

Mystere, I see what you are saying. But I am not that kind of shopper. I am quite happy with my 17 year old car here in the US and in Germany where I had to buy a new car because I cannot drive at night any more and the wife needed an automatic, I hate this new car. It has so many gizmos that I will probably never discover everything. The user manual has 560 pages with an additional 200 pages just for the radio,

Give me my old stick shift car back that had 3 dials and did what I wanted and not what the car thinks is best.

14. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree, I have a simple car with a 5 speed stick and no gadgets that can break. It's a 2008 Accent and it rocks.

BunnyJ, Jan 24, 2015
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    I agree, I have a simple car with a 5 speed stick and no gadgets that can break. It's a 2008 Accent and it rocks. LOL, your car is young, 10 years younger than my old car when I sold it. It was 16 years old. This is how it looked the day I sold it - like new and it had only 40K miles.

Why would I change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Why would I change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Why change

2. Why am I getting weird artifacting visual bugs when I change Windows security settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I getting weird artifacting visual bugs when I change Windows security settings?: Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CfHsGLSometimes, I get a weird artifacting visual bugt when I change my Windows 10 security settings. My PC freezes up for a second and then a line of something that looks like a QR code. It's all black and white. It looks staticky. Is...
  3. Why am I getting weird artifacting visual bugs when I change Windows security settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I getting weird artifacting visual bugs when I change Windows security settings?: Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CfHsGLSometimes, I get a weird artifacting visual bugt when I change my Windows 10 security settings. My PC freezes up for a second and then a line of something that looks like a QR code. It's all black and white. It looks staticky. Is...
  4. Why am I getting weird artifacting visual bugs when I change Windows security settings?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. why did you change the folder icons to look like document icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why did you change the folder icons to look like document icons?: I can no longer quickly see the folder tree with everything looking like a document file. This is very inefficient and frustrating. Plus when I try to change the icon to the old filter - it does not change in details. This is unacceptable! We the paying customers should have...
  6. why did you change the folder icons to look like document icons?

why did you change the folder icons to look like document icons?: I can no longer quickly see the folder tree with everything looking like a document file. This is very inefficient and frustrating. Plus when I try to change the icon to the old filter - it does not change in details. This is unacceptable! We the paying customers should have...
  7. Why can't I use the "start settings" page to change to my partner's document set up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I use the "start settings" page to change to my partner's document set up?: Why can't I use the "start settings" page to change to my partner's document set up? The message given is something like "Preparing Windows." Then the screen just rolls and eventually goes black. We changed to this computer about 18 months ago and used a Western Digital...
  8. Why can't I use the "start settings" page to change to my partner's document set up?

Why can't I use the "start settings" page to change to my partner's document set up?: Why can't I use the "start settings" page to change to my partner's document set up? The message given is something like "Preparing Windows." Then the screen just rolls and eventually goes black. We changed to this computer about 18 months ago and used a Western Digital...
  9. Why is the balance slider in the audio settings changing both left and right at the same...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the balance slider in the audio settings changing both left and right at the same...: Hi,so I am using an external audio interface on wich i cant change the left and right balance and when I try to use the Windows 11 audio settings its changing both the left and the right slider at the same time. Is there a way to fix this or is the external interface the...
  10. Why is the balance slider in the audio settings changing both left and right at the same...

Why is the balance slider in the audio settings changing both left and right at the same...: Hi,so I am using an external audio interface on wich i cant change the left and right balance and when I try to use the Windows 11 audio settings its changing both the left and the right slider at the same time. Is there a way to fix this or is the external interface the...