Windows 10: Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start on boot

Discus and support Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start on boot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I posted this on the Microsoft Community Help board and got little to no attention from the support engineers. Hopefully someone here can help. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dumazi, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Dumazi Win User

Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start on boot

I posted this on the Microsoft Community Help board and got little to no attention from the support engineers. Hopefully someone here can help.

I am having a recent problem with Windows 10. I have been running Windows 10 Home Edition from an on-line upgrade on my Lenovo Y510P for months with no issues. About a week ago, I started noticing that after a restart, my system tray icons for Audio and Network (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet) would start out fine but about half-way through the start up process would become marked with a red X or a warning yellow triangle with an exclamation point.

The Audio can be restarted either by running the trouble shooter or turning on the WinAudio service. The Ethernet actually works just fine but the yellow triangle warning icon persists and claims to either be constantly identifying the network or displays that the connection is unknown. Running the trouble shooter finds no problems. The Wi-Fi system tray icon appears with it's obligatory warning triangle and the Wi-Fi will connect to a known network if in range, but there is no Wi-Fi Icon in the Action Center, and no Wi-Fi entry in the Network & Internet Settings list either.

If you list the adapters in Network Connections, the Wi-Fi does appear and you can access the properties for the adapter, but if you try to select connect/disconnect from the context sensitive menu, it does not open a list of locally available networks, instead you are taken back to the All Settings Screen. Likewise if you run the trouble shooter on the Wi-Fi adapter when away from a known local Wi-Fi network, the troubleshooter tells you to pick a network from a list. When you click on the link, you are not taken to a list of networks, but rather back to the All Settings screen.

I have updated the drivers for the audio and both network adapters, The device manager claims all devices are operating appropriately. Malwarebytes reveals nothing.

I suspected the problem might be related shared service dependencies, but the problem persists through a clean boot in which both services and start-up items were tested. Neither a system scan nor a DISM repair revealed any corrupt system files.

I did notice that if I click on the "connect to the internet" icon on the log in screen, I do get a list of the dozen or so available Wi-Fi networks in my immediate vicinity. I can not see that list anywhere once I log into Windows 10 proper.

I created installation media (burned the Win 10 .ISO to a DVD) and performed a reinstall of Windows 10 which allowed me to keep my installed apps. I'm guessing both this and the basic system refresh maintain many settings and registry entries that are likely the source of my problem. Reinstalling Windows 10 did not resolve my issues.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

:)

Dumazi, Oct 22, 2015
  2. Yaqub K Win User
    Yaqub K, Oct 22, 2015
  3. Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start

I am having a recent problem with Windows 10. I have been running Windows 10 Home Edition from an on-line upgrade on my Lenovo Y510P for months with no issues. About a week ago, I started noticing that after a restart, my system tray icons for Audio and
    Network (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet) would start out fine but about half-way through the start up process would become marked with a red X or a warning yellow triangle with an exclamation point.

The Audio can be restarted either by running the trouble shooter or turning on the WinAudio service. The Ethernet actually works just fine but the yellow triangle warning icon persists and claims to either be constantly identifying the network or displays
    that the connection is unknown. Running the trouble shooter finds no problems. The Wi-Fi system tray icon appears with it's obligatory warning triangle and the Wi-Fi will connect to a known network if in range, but there is no Wi-Fi Icon in the Action Center,
    and no Wi-Fi entry in the Network & Internet Settings list either.

If you list the adapters in Network Connections, the Wi-Fi does appear and you can access the properties for the adapter, but if you try to select connect/disconnect from the context sensitive menu, it does not open a list of locally available networks,
    instead you are taken back to the All Settings Screen. Likewise if you run the trouble shooter on the Wi-Fi adapter when away from a known local Wi-Fi network, the troubleshooter tells you to pick a network from a list. When you click on the link, you are
    not taken to a list of networks, but rather back to the All Settings screen.

I have updated the drivers for the audio and both network adapters, The device manager claims all devices are operating appropriately. Malwarebytes reveals nothing.

I suspected the problem might be related shared service dependencies, but the problem persists through a clean boot in which both services and start-up items were tested. Neither a system scan nor a DISM repair revealed any corrupt system files.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

JohnEconomides, Oct 22, 2015
Thema:

Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start on boot

1. Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start on boot - Similar Threads - Ethernet WinAudio fail

2. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet: Wi-Fi not working when using Ethernet cable. It says: “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. It mentions how my data provider may have a limit on my data but can it remove my Wi-Fi connection to my PC? Idk pls help...
  3. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet: Wi-Fi not working when using Ethernet cable. It says: “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. It mentions how my data provider may have a limit on my data but can it remove my Wi-Fi connection to my PC? Idk pls help...
  4. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wi-fi fine, but not so with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi fine, but not so with Ethernet: Hi,For the last week and a bit I have been having trouble accessing sites, or even having the internet connected via ethernet cabling.I have changed the cables over three times for new ones, with no resultant change.The PC works fine when wi-fi is enabled strangely. Same...
  6. Wi-fi and ethernet on same LAN?

Wi-fi and ethernet on same LAN?: I have heard conflicting claims as to whether PCs connected to the same router can talk to each other when one is connected via ethernet while the other is connected by Wi-fi. In a particular case that I focus on here, I have a Win10 desktop connected to the router by...
  7. Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?

Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?: Hi all, Newbie here. After new PC arrived and was through all the setup, I ended up with an ethernet connection that appears to be named after one of my Wi-Fi connections. Everything works fine, but I would like to know how to fix/change this. Attaching a pic. Red arrow...
  8. Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi: Hi there I have an Ethernet cable attached to my PC but also want the Wi-Fi connected too as a back etc. but every time I Connect to Wi-Fi it says unable to connect to network. Now the Ethernet is connected no problem and my wife's computer is connected to Wi-Fi no issues,...
  9. Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

Wi-Fi and Ethernet together: Trying to increase downland speeds.Currently just using Wi-Fi. 1, Will combining the two methods help and will it work? 2. What settings need to be changed in my Wi-Fi router ? (TP-Link) 3. Win 10 Home 4. Am I wasting my time considering this? My provider is Spectrum....
  10. Ethernet/ Wi-Fi Conflict??

Ethernet/ Wi-Fi Conflict??: My Windows 10 desktop is immediately next to my XFINITY Xfi modem. The computer has a wired Ethernet connection and is also connecting by Wi-Fi. The computer often drops its internet connection while a laptop in another room connected only by Wi-Fi stays connected...