Windows 10: Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters

Discus and support Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was wanting to know somethings about those Wi-Fi extenders/repeaters.. Since I Wi-Fi off my sisters modem/router at distance and her cell phone is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MrHudson, Feb 11, 2018.

1. MrHudson Win User

Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters

I was wanting to know somethings about those Wi-Fi extenders/repeaters..
    Since I Wi-Fi off my sisters modem/router at distance and her cell phone is causing me not to send or receive data till she gets off her phone,, can I use one of them here in my home or does it have to be at hers?

:)

MrHudson, Feb 11, 2018

2. PC Mobile Hotspot option not showing up

Hi Tobiasmusic,

the mobile hotspot option is available if a Wi-Fi network card is installed on your computer.
    Bluetooth uses a different protocol that is not compatible for the mobile hotspot.

If the wi-fi signal is very weak at the desktop PC, you need a wi-fi / range extender repeater or a pair of wi-fi powerlines

franco d'esaro, Feb 11, 2018
  3. SharnaK Win User
    Wi-Fi Extender

@ Rob,

Linksys isn't helpful. I've tried all of their suggestions to no avail. I have isolated this to the Surface Pro 3 and the Linksys Extender. The signal drop occurs frequently on my Surface while the Smart TV continues working fine as does the main UBEE
    router with devices using that access. Sometimes it is just my browser(s) that won't connect and Outlook continues to receive emails. Are there Windows defender settings on my Surface that could be causing the drop or the lack of connection to the extender
    signal? Other suggestions?

I've looked at the UBEE settings but there doesn't seem to be anything that would affect the Linksys extender signal between them.

Thanks.

SharnaK, Feb 11, 2018
  4. Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters

Those only extend the LOCAL network -- it will work where it is installed, her place or yours, but not both.

Mark Phelps, Feb 11, 2018
  5. MrHudson Win User
    What I'm asking,, does it have to be installed at my sister's house or can I install it here in my home where I can get better signal?

MrHudson, Feb 11, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    I assume hers is a different location not next door an extender only extends a few yards

Samuria, Feb 11, 2018
  7. MrHudson Win User
    I can see her house from my bedroom window, distance I say about a football stadium. my Win7 works very good on Wi-Fi'ing off her, the Win 10 doesn't.
    Using the HP support Assistant network check, it says This Win10 is receiving a 10% signal strength. I use to be able to download, listen to music app, play solitare, but now when she uses her phone, I have problem with those connecting even though the icon in tray shows I am connected.

MrHudson, Feb 11, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters

You're pushing your luck trying to extend from a 10% strength base. It will work sometimes and at other times not. I wouldn't recommend it,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 12, 2018
  9. MrHudson Win User
    I use to have my own internet, but first month bill was $294. Centurylink couldn't justify the billing.

MrHudson, Feb 12, 2018
  10. Bat 1 Win User
    Can your sister's router be placed in front of a windows with a line of site view to your house ? Do you have a high-gain (like 5db) USB Wi-Fi dongle ? Outdoor antennas are rather expensive and with some modems like my ATT Uverse model port forwarding to use a bridged extender is a PITA.

I'm doing the same thing with two houses I own that are around 300 feet apart and with the correct modem placement and a dongle similar to Rosewill RNXAC600HGUBE Dual Band 802.11AC USB Adapter, USB 2.0 cradle, 5 dBi High Power Antenna - Newegg.com I have usable speeds until I can finish moving and transfer my connection to the new house.

Bat 1, Feb 12, 2018
  11. MrHudson Win User
    I'm on the side, I see the garage part of back yard where she keeps pigmy goats.

MrHudson, Feb 12, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Are you close enough to run a physical cable between the two buildings? Cat6a can carry GbE close to 290 feet from point to point. As long as you don't have to cross any streets or other public property, that might be your best bet. OTOH, if you must go wireless, you could look at setting up some Pringles cans antennas, like the war drivers use, to beam info from one property to the next (and if you can see that garage wall, that's where you'd want to put the antenna on your sister's property, for sure).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: How To Make a Wi-Fi Antenna Out Of a Pringles Can

EdTittel, Feb 12, 2018
  13. MrHudson Win User

Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters

Have to cross 2 streets. Bro-in law came checked it out, he moved router to master bedroom, got 5% signal increase.

MrHudson, Feb 12, 2018
  14. EdTittel Win User
    You should definitely look into the "Pringles can modification" if you have a line-of-sight to your sister-in-law's garage.
    'Nuff said,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 13, 2018
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    $294 !!!!!!!!! someone was being ripped off royally there.

It depends on what you want to pay for --- personally I'm sure you must be able to find in USA cheapish Internet --you don't need all the extra things like land lines / tv packages etc etc.

That woud be the best solution --unless really away from any sort of Town USA must have some type of cheapish decent speed fibre cable broadband service !!!!.

Failing that - it would cost a little bit over a cheap and nasty extender but a nighthawk wifi extender is good -- has 3 antennas and can both do 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. these things work at quite a long way from a signal so this could be an answer - the other advantage it also has 4 LAN ports so you can connect a piece of lan cable between your computer and the extender --gives much better signal than the straight wifi. Also easy to connect another 3 devices via the cable.

A neat trick you can also do with this type of setup is to use a small network switch so you only need 1 cable to the wifi extender and plug your devices into the wifi switch -- a 1Gb/s switch is only about 10 USD and it really does speed up lan connections rather than have 4 individual connections going to the wifi extender.

The nighthawk is not the cheapest piece of kit out there but it's one of the fastest non pro type commercial products I've seen - especially on the 5GHZ band. Using the LAN connection as well even old devices connected to the extender can use the advantage of 5GHZ band even if they can't use it directly on wifi itself.

So I use devices-->network switch--->lan to wifi-extender then wifi extender connects to my router.

My shed is approx. 100m from the router. I have the wifi extender about 80 metres from the router with a 20 metre bit of lan cable connecting my switch to the extender, Then in the shed short bits of lan cable go from my devices into the switch.

It still works also for only wifi but you get a zillion times better performance when doing it the way I suggested -- eventually I want to eliminate the wifi extender completely but it's too cold (and ground a bit hard) currently to start digging up bits of garden to lay cables !!!!.

Still I'd in your case look for a decent ISP - no reason to pay that sort of money you quoted for monthly Internet.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 13, 2018
Thema:

Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters

1. Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters - Similar Threads - Extender Repeaters

2. Extend displays- Can't accept changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend displays- Can't accept changes: Hopefully an easy fix.New laptop, plugged into monitor and it duplicates displays.When I select extend displays, the pop up says keep changes or in 10seconds will revert changes.However the pop up is greyed out so cannot accept changes.Thanks in advance!...
  3. Extend displays- Can't accept changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extend displays- Can't accept changes: Hopefully an easy fix.New laptop, plugged into monitor and it duplicates displays.When I select extend displays, the pop up says keep changes or in 10seconds will revert changes.However the pop up is greyed out so cannot accept changes.Thanks in advance!...
  4. Extend displays- Can't accept changes

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Extended and mirror display problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extended and mirror display problem: While the cursor works but clicking on anything doesn't work on extended display and if set on mirror display the colour calibration resets on the main monitor im using asus vivobook with xp pen display tablet...
  6. Extended and mirror display problem

Extended and mirror display problem: While the cursor works but clicking on anything doesn't work on extended display and if set on mirror display the colour calibration resets on the main monitor im using asus vivobook with xp pen display tablet...
  7. How to extend ssd c dr

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to extend ssd c dr: I am trying to extend my 500 g drive to an external 4 t drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-extend-ssd-c-dr/65a0f46c-e636-4852-a729-216e08bc7260
  8. How to extend ssd c dr

How to extend ssd c dr: I am trying to extend my 500 g drive to an external 4 t drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-extend-ssd-c-dr/65a0f46c-e636-4852-a729-216e08bc7260
  9. What is the best WiFi repeater or extender?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the best WiFi repeater or extender?: What is the best WiFi repeater or extender? Can hardly pick up at times upstairs in back bedroom now and again. Especially when more devices join the network. With Sky fibre max broadband if that helps and it's the Sky Q hub if that helps too. Thanks in advance. 126839
  10. Setting Up a Second Router as a Repeater/Range Extender/Bridge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting Up a Second Router as a Repeater/Range Extender/Bridge: I am quite a distance from the modem/router (several acres property) and must use a Range Extender/Repeater. Insider Build 16215 has knocked my WiFi into the next county, it seems and I find I must hard wire my computer to the router or Range Extender if I want Internet....