Windows 10: wi-fi networks default to checked "connect automatically" on ALL networks, even ones I've...

Discus and support wi-fi networks default to checked "connect automatically" on ALL networks, even ones I've... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This question has been asked numerous times over the past few years, but the folks answering the question seem to deliberately misunderstand it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WFred, Jul 5, 2018.

1. WFred Win User

wi-fi networks default to checked "connect automatically" on ALL networks, even ones I've...

This question has been asked numerous times over the past few years, but the folks answering the question seem to deliberately misunderstand it and give the same irrelevant response.

Each time my wi-fi adapter starts EVERY network within range is checked to connect automatically. I uncheck each of them except the one I want, but they are rechecked the next time the adapter starts.

See the attached screenshots. Mitchell_5G is the ONLY network this laptop has ever connected to, yet each available network is checked to connect automatically.

This has NOTHING to do with known or remembered networks. These are all networks belonging to my neighbors and there is nothing to "forget" because I have never connected to them in the first place. All I want is to find out what needs to be done to ensure that ONLY the networks I have connected to in the past are checked and how to ensure that unchecked networks don't default to checked each time the adapter is restarted. wi-fi networks default to checked "connect automatically" on ALL networks, even ones I've... 1ac78c08-2cfa-4821-9b2a-2d1cfd41cf20?upload=true.jpg wi-fi networks default to checked "connect automatically" on ALL networks, even ones I've... 2896e3ce-2bbd-4c5a-9500-61d5ecedfc31?upload=true.jpg

:)

WFred, Jul 5, 2018

2. Other Wi-Fi networks are automatically connected

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

If "Hidden Network" is not your Wi-Fi network and if it is automatically connected, you may follow the below steps to turn off the “connect automatically” option for other Wi-Fi routers and check.

1. Press Windows key + A to open action center and click on All Settings.

2. Now select Network and Internet.

3. In the left panel, select Wi-Fi.

4. Now in the right panel, select the option Change Adapter Options.

5. The Change Adapter Options will open the Network Connections. You will find the network connection to which your computer or tablet is connected.

6. Double click on the wireless connection to open the Wi-Fi status. Go to Wireless Properties.

7. Under Connection tab, find out “Connect automatically when this network is in range“. By default it is enabled. To disable it, uncheck the option and tap ok.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Jul 5, 2018
  3. Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you would like to disable auto-connect to Wi-Fi with unknown networks. We will certainly help you with this.

Method 1: Turn off auto connect to Wi-Fi hotspots.

1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel.

4. Turn off Connect to Wi-Fi hotspots option.

Method 2: How to forget a Wi-Fi Network.
    1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel and scroll down to see a list of known networks.

4. Tap the network you want to forget and click on Forget
    button.

Windows by default automatically connects to the previously connected/known Wi-Fi network. Listed below are steps to disable the automatic connection to known Wi-Fi network.

1. Right click on Wi-Fi icon and select Open Network and Sharing Center
    menu option.

2. In the Network and Sharing Center window, click the Wi-Fi connection
    link.

3. This should display the Wi-Fi Status windows.

4. Now click the Wireless Properties button in W-Fi Status.

5. Unmark the check box with label as Connect automatically when this network in range
    option available under the Wireless Network Properties window. Click
    Ok
    button to confirm and the save the changes.

If you are using Intel PROSet Wireless Tools, Then I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link suggested by DennisBarnett.

Cannot turn off 'automatically connect' option on WIFI connections

(Applies to Windows 10 also)

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Jul 5, 2018
  4. Chino Win User

wi-fi networks default to checked "connect automatically" on ALL networks, even ones I've...

Wi-Fi Agile Multiband Certification to Enable Intelligent Wireless Networks

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Agile Multiband is a new certification program from Wi-Fi Alliance that enables devices to utilize Wi-Fi network resources better, and networks to adapt and balance load as network conditions change. Wi-Fi Agile Multiband devices dynamically exchange information about a network environment, enabling devices to make smarter decisions and quicker connections in home, enterprise, and managed network environments. Wi-Fi Agile Multiband delivers new capabilities that provide a better experience with both static use cases, such as streaming a high-definition movie, and mobile use cases such as Wi-Fi calling.

wi-fi networks default to checked "connect automatically" on ALL networks, even ones I've... X2BRYuDg0djRiot2_thm.jpg

Based on global standards, such as IEEE 802.11 k, v, u, r, and Wi-Fi Alliance defined technologies, Wi-Fi Agile Multiband brings a standardized approach to efficient Wi-Fi network resource management that also ensures interoperability across device vendors. Key benefits of Wi-Fi Agile Multiband include:
    • Dynamic monitoring (i.e. exchanging network information): Constant, parallel network information exchange about the Wi-Fi radio environment enables client devices to evaluate the best access point (AP), band, or channel connection, avoiding issues with devices that stick to a particular AP longer than appropriate
    • Intelligent steering (i.e. making informed network loading): Mechanisms allow APs to intelligently guide clients to less congested or recommended APs, frequency bands, and channels to balance network traffic and meet other management needs
    • Fast network transitions (i.e. authenticating quicker): Faster, secure roaming while traversing a network delivers improved mobility and better experiences with latency-sensitive applications such as voice-over Wi-Fi and mobile video streaming
    "Today's Wi-Fi delivers connectivity to services and content for many devices in different environments," said Edgar Figueroa, president and CEO of Wi-Fi Alliance. "Wi-Fi Agile Multiband brings new capabilities that increase network and device performance and ultimately provide a better Wi-Fi user experience."

The first Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Agile Multiband products which comprise the test bed for interoperability certification are:
    • Broadcom BCM4361 11ac STA Reference Design
    • Intel Home Wi-Fi Chipset-based 802.11ac 4-stream Concurrent Dual Band Router
    • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
    • Marvell 802.11ac Wave2 Wi-Fi Test Bed Evaluation Kit
    • MediaTek MT7621A+MT7615 802.11abgn/ac Ref. AP
    • Ruckus R710 Access Point
    • Ruckus ZoneDirector 1200 Controller
    • Qualcomm mobile Wi-Fi AC2 chipset
    For more information, including a technology overview and technology highlights, please visit: Wi-Fi Agile Multiband | Wi-Fi Alliance

Chino, Jul 5, 2018
Thema:

1. wi-fi networks default to checked "connect automatically" on ALL networks, even ones I've... - Similar Threads - networks default checked

2. Automatically Connect is checked for ALL available networks.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically Connect is checked for ALL available networks.: By default, my device only connects to the router in my house, and that's fine.But what is NOT fine, is that no matter what I do 'automatically connect' should NOT be connected to any of the other networks.The ONLY network it should connect to, period, is BJBXNONE of the...
  3. Automatically Connect is checked for ALL available networks.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatically Connect is checked for ALL available networks.: By default, my device only connects to the router in my house, and that's fine.But what is NOT fine, is that no matter what I do 'automatically connect' should NOT be connected to any of the other networks.The ONLY network it should connect to, period, is BJBXNONE of the...
  4. Automatically Connect is checked for ALL available networks.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to set 'Connect automatically' for Wi-Fi networks by default in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set 'Connect automatically' for Wi-Fi networks by default in Windows 11?: i want to not always have to tick the box when connecting to a new network. i couldn't find anything about it, so i guess it's probably not a feature. but maybe there's some workaround?...
  6. How to set 'Connect automatically' for Wi-Fi networks by default in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set 'Connect automatically' for Wi-Fi networks by default in Windows 11?: i want to not always have to tick the box when connecting to a new network. i couldn't find anything about it, so i guess it's probably not a feature. but maybe there's some workaround?...
  7. Problems connecting a Wi-Fi network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems connecting a Wi-Fi network: I can't connect my pc with any wi-fi connections as i can't find any network options except the ethernet & broadband settings.Then i searched for the existing adapters in device manager & ended up founding a list of 9 adapters' name including 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family...
  8. Script required to automatically connect to specific Wi-Fi network

in Windows 10 Support
    Script required to automatically connect to specific Wi-Fi network: Greetings to Windows 10 Guru's, others working towards this qualification and everyone else here to learn. *Smile I'm using Matthew Wai's CMD & VBScript to manage my updates and have also set all connections to metered. As a further measure to prevent surprises and...
  9. Can't connect to one specific Wi-Fi network...

Can't connect to one specific Wi-Fi network...: Xiaomi Laptop Pro 2019. Then I boot a laptop, it can't connect to my home wi-fi. Troubleshooting resets the profile as it says and it works!... For 15 seconds. Turning off-on adapter in device manager - same result. Same as rebooting my router. Is there any way to make it...
  10. Windows 10 doesn't connect automatically to a Wi-Fi network

Windows 10 doesn't connect automatically to a Wi-Fi network: Hi, I have a little problem. Every time I boot my laptop (or restart it) I need to manually connect to a Wi-Fi network thought I've checked the "connect automatically" box. [img] I tried to "forget" and reconnect to that network and still got the same result after a...