Windows 10: wi-fi range extender, distance and square footage claims ?

Discus and support wi-fi range extender, distance and square footage claims ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a small storafge shed about 100 feet from the house. I would like to be able to connect to the wireless network we have. I have bought two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimjoe, Mar 25, 2015.

1. jimjoe Win User

wi-fi range extender, distance and square footage claims ?

I have a small storafge shed about 100 feet from the house. I would like to be able to connect to the wireless network we have.

I have bought two small, they look like cable modems, wi-fi extenders.

They don't give a good signal.

Today, Wednesday, I saw a different one at a store that claimed it picked up your wi-fi router signal and boosted it for a total of 10,000 square feet with an 800 milliwatt signal.

Cost is $100. Box says it is compatible with all wi-fi routers via their signal.

Is this possible ? I didn't write the name down, but I think it was a Linksys.

Thanks !

:)

jimjoe, Mar 25, 2015

2. PC Mobile Hotspot option not showing up

Hi Tobiasmusic,

the mobile hotspot option is available if a Wi-Fi network card is installed on your computer.
    Bluetooth uses a different protocol that is not compatible for the mobile hotspot.

If the wi-fi signal is very weak at the desktop PC, you need a wi-fi / range extender repeater or a pair of wi-fi powerlines

franco d'esaro, Mar 25, 2015
  3. No internet access

ST, By chance I had a broadband failure and to check this out I swapped to a spare router (Zyxel) . Once the broadband supplier fixed the problem (proved in their exchange and not my old router) I stayed with the Zyxel router which has no Wi-Fi connection/reconnection
    problems.

So my original Wi-Fi fault must had been with my original Belkin router. I suspect it my be the distance from the laptop etc to the router, try reducing the distance between your router/laptop.

If your using 5.2GHz Wi-Fi has a very limited range circa 10 feet then tries to 2.4GHz this maybe where the problem lies.

But as I say a different router sorted my Wi-Fi reconnection issues.

BrianLC350, Mar 25, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

badrobot, Mar 25, 2015
  5. jimjoe Win User
    Thanks, but I have a ham radio. Anything that puts a signal down an electrical wire like that will cause interference to me hearing anyone, or talking to them.

jimjoe, Mar 25, 2015
  6. rvbfan Win User
    A few questions.
    Can you run a cable from your present router to the shed?
    What router are you presently using?
    Have you thought of using your present router as an access point and buying something like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=R6200v2

Setting up an access point will work much better than an extender.
    If not you could try this extender, it's one of the highest rated ones.
    Amazon.com: NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender - Desktop Version with 4-Ports: Computers Accessories

A little light reading for you. LOL.
    The Best Way To Get Whole House Wireless Coverage - SmallNetBuilder
    The Best Wi-Fi Extender (If Youre Out of Options) - Tested

rvbfan, Mar 27, 2015
  7. jimjoe Win User
    I'll have to talk to my relatives about a new router, it is their network. I can buy an extender on my own.

Yes, I read the 'don't get an extender' on several review sites before I posted... then they suggested an extender to buy. Seemed at cross purposes to me.

jimjoe, Mar 28, 2015
  8. rvbfan Win User

Even if you bought a second router and used it as an access point I think you would be ahead.

rvbfan, Mar 28, 2015
  9. jimjoe Win User
    My relatives and I have decided to take the one they have, Linksys e4200, to the store they got it from, and see what they suggest.

jimjoe, Mar 28, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User

That is actually what the powerline adapter is supposed to do. Instead of running cables, you can use your existing electical wiring system to extend your internet with access point on the other end.

The problem with extenders, they can extend the reach of wifi but they also use bandwidth and possibly cut it in half. That's because extenders also act as clients. Extenders connect to the internet and pass the signal to another client.

The most efficient solution is access point.

My solution at home is access points on powerline adapters.

Zero dead spot.

Below, "APs" are the access points.

wi-fi range extender, distance and square footage claims ? [​IMG]

badrobot, Mar 28, 2015
  11. badrobot Win User
    If you can make them understand how extender can "weaken" their wifi, they will agree with a new router. It's just a matter of plugging in another cable on their existing router. The only problem there is how to go about the cabling. *Smile

badrobot, Mar 28, 2015
  12. badrobot Win User
    Incidentally, that same router is my access point.

wi-fi range extender, distance and square footage claims ? [​IMG]

My main router is ASUS RT-N65U.

badrobot, Mar 28, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

How does an extender "Weaken" a Wi-Fi signal. An extender is simply a RECEIVER and TRANSMITTER. What you are saying in effect means that if MORE people turn on say a Terrestial TV channel then the signal coming from the TV transmitter weakens. !!!!!!!!!

The Wifi signal is usually in the 2.4 GHZ or 5 GHZ spectrum and won't interfere with things like Ham radio etc. It's better if you can use the 5GHZ protocol as you *could* (not always will but could) get interference with mobile phone signals at or around 2.2 - 2.4 GHZ. The newer ones allow you to select the frequency ranges and protocol. Just ensure that any computers using the extended Wifi signal have WIFI cards that can access your required protocol. and frequency.

Most of these Wi-Fi extenders are EXCELLENT -- you need one of course with the relevant WIFI protocol -- the extender connector will be the one with the name -EXT after it. The better ones have a bit of amplification in them too like standard "repeaters" for those who "can do Engineering speak".

100 metre extender is NOTHING -- I haven't tried the full range but it works in my Shed (actually it's a lot better than a mere shed ). The Shed is a long way down in my garden probably around 200 Metres minimum. Simply mount the extender a REASONABLE distance away from the Router / Cablebox - but where you still get a decent signal.

My screenshot shows that while the primary signal (Jimbo) is at the limit, in the Shed I've got a FULL signal from the wifi extender.

Signal is still easily fast enough to receive streamed movies, Sports channels etc. (Good to escaping when "Shopping assistance" is called for !!!!!. Amazing how quick I can vanish).

No cabling is needed and the password / security remain as on your primary connection -- but you CAN change it if you are paranoid.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 28, 2015
  14. badrobot Win User
    @jimbo45 , I did not say extenders "weaken a Wifi SIGNAL". You added the word "signal". If you noticed, I put quotation marks on the word "weaken". I was to referring bandwidth degradation (see my previous posts) which in turn also affects speed. We all know that the more clients are connected to a wifi, the slower the connection becomes. An extender also acts as a permanent client to a network by connecting to wifi, process the signal and then transmits it. In effect, an extender is just like another laptop continously using the wifi. It degrades wifi or internet from the source.

The signal bar is not an indicator of good speed. Just shows how stable the connection is.

I agree with 5Ghz. Even with 1 bar signal of 5Ghz, it's still faster than a full bar 2.4Ghz.

badrobot, Mar 28, 2015
  15. rvbfan Win User
    It won't effect the rest of the clients per say any more than adding another normal client. The problem with extenders are through put loss. Read my first post. But if you are finding enough band width to stream a movie you should be good to go.
    Where you might have problems are things like skype calls and gaming.
    Most extenders only have one radio, so one way traffic works well, so up or down traffic have to take turns. That is why a
    Normal router converted to an access point will work better. The up/ down traffic is optimised for through put.

rvbfan, Mar 28, 2015
Thema:

1. wi-fi range extender, distance and square footage claims ? - Similar Threads - range extender distance

2. Latency Issues with WI-FI Extender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latency Issues with WI-FI Extender: Hello! I was wondering if anyone is able to help me out with my latency issues I've been having. I recently purchased a D-Link EAGLE PRO AI AX1800 WiFi 6 Mesh Router to use as a WI-FI extender. My internet download and upload speeds sat at around 300 mbps and everything ran...
  3. Latency Issues with WI-FI Extender

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Latency Issues with WI-FI Extender: Hello! I was wondering if anyone is able to help me out with my latency issues I've been having. I recently purchased a D-Link EAGLE PRO AI AX1800 WiFi 6 Mesh Router to use as a WI-FI extender. My internet download and upload speeds sat at around 300 mbps and everything ran...
  4. Laptop WI-FI range reduced

Laptop WI-FI range reduced: I have a DELL Inspiron 5547, before updating it's OS I used to be able to conect to the internet from anywhere in my house my router is currently instaled at my living room, however now, after instaling the latest Windows patch, I can only conect to the internet if my...
  5. Range Extender

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Range Extender: How do I connect a tp-link wifi range extender to my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/range-extender/ecdd9823-8486-4b89-9795-c2f9d50287ff
  6. Connect Wi-Fi Extender

Connect Wi-Fi Extender: I am trying to connect a tp-link range extender (model TL-WAB55RE) to my wi-fi network. I do not have a wifi icon in my system tray. I cannot find wifi settings in Windows 10 in order to make the necessary connections. Help!...
  7. Wi-Fi range issues

Wi-Fi range issues: I have to sit next to my router, otherwise, the speed gets throttled to like 1 KBPS. I have even tried a lot of troubleshooting methods but never had a bit of progress. All of the driver cards are also up-to-date....
  8. Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters

Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters: I was wanting to know somethings about those Wi-Fi extenders/repeaters.. Since I Wi-Fi off my sisters modem/router at distance and her cell phone is causing me not to send or receive data till she gets off her phone,, can I use one of them here in my home or does it have to...
  9. Extending two wi-fi Networks simultaneously with one Range Extender

Extending two wi-fi Networks simultaneously with one Range Extender: I have two network connections at home. I have extended one using TP-LINK Extender. But I want to extend both simultaneously using only one extender. I just want to know if such an extender is being marketed. Best and regards, Amarnath Wanchoo 56415
  10. How extend range of wi-fi

How extend range of wi-fi: I'd like to know what the options are to extend my wi-fi signal range. I have extra routers if that help and I'm hoping to not spend a lot of money. Thank you. 98411