Windows 10: Widespread AHCI issues in Samsung Magician since Win10 1-year update

Discus and support Widespread AHCI issues in Samsung Magician since Win10 1-year update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Widespread bug FYI - https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru....cfm?t=2556634 - see UPDATE paragraph at bottom! Just after I updated my Asus laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nofixedaddress, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Widespread AHCI issues in Samsung Magician since Win10 1-year update

Widespread bug FYI - https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru....cfm?t=2556634 - see UPDATE paragraph at bottom!

Just after I updated my Asus laptop from Windows 10 1511 to Windows 10 1607 (1 year anniversary update) a virus was detected by Windows Defender, so I immediately shut down and performed a reformat via Windows-10-install USB stick, as I was going to reformat anyway. I wish I noted down now what it detected because i've had an issue since.

Samsung Magician v4.9.7 now reports 'AHCI mode disabled/deactivated' and 'unable to detect SATA' (I use a Samsung 850 PRO SSD). After much testing, I found what makes it report this is when in my Asus laptop UEFI BIOS I have 'secure boot' enabled. When secure boot in BIOS is disabled, AHCI mode and SATA detect reports working normally again.

Screenshots:
    Error - AHCI disabled/deactivated and SATA not detected/EUFI BIOS secure boot enabled - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    No error - AHCI enabled and SATA detected/UEFI BIOS secure boot disabled - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Samsung driver not digitally signed error that began at same time - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I've tried many MBR fixes via command line via repair your computer when booting from Windows install USB but it seems after much reading that my UEFI laptop uses something different and I can't modify it?

I have secure boot enabled whenever the laptop might be online so it would have been enabled when the virus alert popped up, so in theory the boot sector should have been protected?

So i'm not sure if I might have an infected or invalid boot sector, if the Windows 1607 anniversary update did something, Samsung Magician is misreporting, or something else is causing this.

Note that my Windows copy is legit/has a legit key stored in BIOS (for laptop) which came with the laptop purchase. It's not recommended nor a solution to simply leave secure boot disabled (eg: reason above) so i'm not sure how to proceed from here...

Thoughts?

UPDATE: Ahh, looks like others with Samsung Magician v4.9.7 who have installed the 1-year anniversary update for Windows 10 have also suddenly started getting the same issue. So looks like it's up to Microsoft and/or Samsung to rectify. I'm just very happy that it has turned out to be an issue not at my end. See results at Google *Smile

:)

nofixedaddress, Aug 10, 2016

2. How to Enable AHCI for SSD in Windows 10.

AHCI mode looks enabled on Bios, but disabled on Samsung Magician. Also read and write values looks correct. What gives? Is it a bug on Samsung Magician?

TırtoBrass, Aug 10, 2016
  3. How to Enable AHCI for SSD in Windows 10.

Original title: AHCI for SSD

I've installed a Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSD. The Samsung Magician is telling me " AHCI is disabled for one or more connected SSDs. System must boot in AHCI mode for best performance". How do I enable AHCI in Windows 10 Pro? Thanks in advance.

David Gregoroff, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Widespread AHCI issues in Samsung Magician since Win10 1-year update

I'm running the anniversary update with a Samsung 850 Pro and Magician 4.9.7, and I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Mystere, Aug 11, 2016
  5. Do you run a UEFI-type BIOS? Is secure boot enabled or disabled?

nofixedaddress, Aug 11, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    Yes. I have an Z77 based Gigabyte board with EFI firmware, and EFI boot with secure boot on.

Mystere, Aug 11, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    *Ditto

essenbe, Aug 11, 2016
  8. Widespread AHCI issues in Samsung Magician since Win10 1-year update

Hmm, probably too hard but would be interesting to know the reason you're not experiencing the issue, as it would help figure out why, unlike you, many are affected: Google

9. Mystere Win User
    I know of no way of discovering why something does NOT happen. That's like proving god doesn't exist.

Mystere, Aug 11, 2016
  10. No, it's called trial and error *Smile

If you look at the links i've provided in the past few posts (and original post) i'm sure you would agree it must be something reasonably common.

11. Mystere Win User
    Sorry, I was mistaken. I have an 850 Evo, not an 850 Pro.

I also have a 950 pro on another system with the anniversary update, but it's NVMe.

Widespread AHCI issues in Samsung Magician since Win10 1-year update [​IMG]

Mystere, Aug 11, 2016
  12. Widespread AHCI issues in Samsung Magician since Win10 1-year update

13. Mystere Win User
    What driver are you talking about? The Rapid mode driver? If so, I don't use rapid mode (it wasn't any faster for me).

Mystere, Aug 11, 2016
  14. If you've opened and looked at the screenshot link I provided in my previous post, then you know as much as I do...

Thema:

Widespread AHCI issues in Samsung Magician since Win10 1-year update

1. Widespread AHCI issues in Samsung Magician since Win10 1-year update - Similar Threads - Widespread AHCI issues

2. Samsung Magician Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Samsung Magician Software: Just installed a Samsung 870 EVO in my system. I was reading about the Magician software and was curious if anyone had it installed on their system and if they thought it was beneficial or not. Curious about the opinions both pro and con. 181319
  3. Samsung Magician shows SATA AHCI Deactivated. UEFI show the opposite

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung Magician shows SATA AHCI Deactivated. UEFI show the opposite: Hi, I have just done a new install of Windows 10 (20H2) build 19042.985. I have four NVMe SSD's , one SATA SSD and two SATA mechanical Hard Drives. My Motherboard is an Aorus Master X570. Its Users manual states that AHCI is its default. As you can see from the attachments,...
  4. Samsung Magician

Samsung Magician: So I have 3 machines (Win10 64-bit) and with Magician 5.3.0 installed. One machine has de OP space not located at the end. I can not seem to change this. See screenshots below. Is this a problem or doesn't it matter? Thanks. [img] [img] [img] 125949
  5. Samsung Magician Software Updated

Samsung Magician Software Updated: 5.2.1 is now available. SSD Tools Software | Download | Samsung V-NAND SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website 111459
  6. does samsung magician show ahci disabled with signed driver error on

does samsung magician show ahci disabled with signed driver error on: windows 10 version 1607 after clean install ? Samsung magician 4.9.7 62398
  7. Samsung Magician

Samsung Magician: I just tested Defrag for SSD on 2 devices. Either the possible other processes we talked about are so fast that I could not see what else was going on or it only did a single TRIM command. Exactly as it should be. *Smile *Ditto and garbage collection controlled by the...
  8. Samsung Magician 4.95

Samsung Magician 4.95: Samsung has released a new version of Magician. All features work in Windows 10. TRIM is turned off so that Windows can perform that task. 37873
  9. Samsung Magician 4.8

Samsung Magician 4.8: Now that Samsung's Magician software is finally available for Windows 10, I have my SSD running with Rapid Mode again. I notice that the application has created a start up entry "Samsung Rapid Mode Notification Utility". This places an icon in the right corner of the...
  10. Samsung Magician

Samsung Magician: Samsung Magician Version 5.2 [img] http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201707/20170726234338606/Samsung_New_Magician_Installation_guide.pdf ***Important information, please read the pdf*** *Smile Ya'lls truly Cliff [/quote] One thing I hope is, Samsung gets...