Windows 10: Wifi Antenna Question

Discus and support Wifi Antenna Question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have purchased a new ac router and a new ac pci-e network card (Asus). My setup before this purchase was this, pci-e 802.11n with two antenna... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Marshall Moore, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Wifi Antenna Question

I have purchased a new ac router and a new ac pci-e network card (Asus).

My setup before this purchase was this, pci-e 802.11n with two antenna connectors. Each connector has a 30 ft Wifi extension cable leading to two simple yagi antennas mounted outside. This has been working just fine for several years.

My new ac network card has 3 connectors.

Do you think that I could just buy another 30 ft extension cable and another antenna like the ones I already have. Should it work?

The reason I am inquiring is the antennas are advertised as 2.4 ghz. AC standard will be in the 5 ghz band.

Shouldn't the cable and antennas use whatever ghz I am working with?

Thanks

:)

Marshall Moore, Mar 13, 2016

2. Wifi antenna issue

The adopter of Wifi facing the problem and not getting access. Even I have changed twice wifi antenna (CBI Antenna) at hp service centre.

VigneshAmirtharajRaja, Mar 13, 2016
  3. N78 with external GPS antenna

Thanks for your reply.

My question is still: is it possible to hotwire an external antenna to the connectors on the device, without damaging the phone? As you can see on this picture (http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3374/antenagpsn78uz8.jpg).

In the phone manual it says that the back cover serves as 3 separate antennas. One in the top for bluetooth, wifi and GPS. In the middle for FM transmitor and in the bottom for GSM.

davidazevedo---01, Mar 13, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Wifi Antenna Question

Hi there

IMO the best way would be to either reflash an old router with DD-WRT or or use a second router as a WIFI - Ethernet bridge. Saves loads of cables and if you just want wifi you don't need the Ethernet bit.

The advantage of using a second router is that you can use the 5GHZ wide broadband bit on your INTERNAL network even if your main Router is fixed by the ISP / Cable company so you can't tinker around with some of those settings. You set the second router up to where you need it and plug in Ethernet cables between computer / device to the Ethernet ports. Otherwise simply use the second router as a Wireless repeater -- more flexible and better quality than the cheap standard Wifi extenders often seen in the stores.

Decent Router / Wifi bridge should give you up to 433Mb/s on Wifi these days --plenty fast enough for your Ethernet (or even wifi) connections. You won't yet get theoretical maximum of > 800 Mb/s yet with this system but at current speeds I wouldn't complain.

Ensure second router's wifi is set to use a channel well away from your primary router's wifi.

BTW when setting up / taking out ISP / Broadband contracts there's an increasing trend for the cable/box / modem to be so "dumbed down" that it's almost impossible to make any changes like switching channels. Check that there's some user adjustment allowed on any router you get from ISP when signing up for the deal.

Even in my SHED a long way from the main house and using "G" I'm still getting decent throughput using Ethernet / Wifi bridge (the router I hobbled was an old one and can only do B/G but it's good enough for "The Shed"). Flashed with DD-WRT for Ethernet Bridge.

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

Wifi Antenna Question [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 13, 2016
Thema:

Wifi Antenna Question

1. Wifi Antenna Question - Similar Threads - Wifi Antenna Question

2. Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna: I built a PC yesterday and all was going well until I was trying to set up Windows and it wasn’t recognizing any of the WiFi hardware. As a result I can’t connect to WiFi.I have two different ASUS WiFi antenna that I’ve tried to use with my PC and neither has shown up on...
  3. Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna: I built a PC yesterday and all was going well until I was trying to set up Windows and it wasn’t recognizing any of the WiFi hardware. As a result I can’t connect to WiFi.I have two different ASUS WiFi antenna that I’ve tried to use with my PC and neither has shown up on...
  4. Wifi Adapter Antenna Questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Adapter Antenna Questions: Hello All Switching to Ethernet possibly on Saturday for my Main Desktop, Some reason my Wifi 6 adapter can't hold 1.2gbps with Comcast XB7 Gateway anymore, so wondering something should i disconnect antennas, and just keep the card in for Bluetooth 5.0 function til i maybe...
  5. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors: So I am attempting to upgrade the PCI-e Wifi card that ships with an old laptop to an Intel AX200 NGFF card , so I bought an NGFF to PCI-e adapter only to realize something I haven't considered . Seems the antennas' connectors from back in PCI-e era were twice the size of the...
  6. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors: So I am attempting to upgrade the PCI-e Wifi card that ships with an old laptop to an Intel AX200 NGFF card , so I bought an NGFF to PCI-e adapter only to realize something I haven't considered . Seems the antennas' connectors from back in PCI-e era were twice the size of the...
  7. HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna

HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna: HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna Wireless LAN Internet Adapter 802.11 n/g/b Network. I'm using Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 9020 MT Optiplex Desktop PC with no built in WiFi. I've been using a USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna Wireless LAN Internet Adapter 802.11...
  8. Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna?

Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna?: When using a laptop the internal antenna can only receive the WiFi signal that exists in that air space where it is located so it seems to me that plugging in a USB WiFi adapter into the laptop cannot increase the WiFi performance and yet that is the reason they are sold. Is...
  9. Snip off WiFi antenna?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Snip off WiFi antenna?: So have been repairing a few old laptops and one I stupidly put a screw through the antenna to the WiFi card when putting it back together. Replacing the antennae is too much trouble (having taken the screen off to look). So am going to get a usb WiFi dongle instead. But not...
  10. Buying a new Wifi Antenna

Buying a new Wifi Antenna: Hey! I have a ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING motherboard with two Wifi antenna fittings in the back. And the antenna that came with the board has two fittings as well. Id like to buy a better antenna but all I can find is the single connection antennas on the web. Now, can I use just...