Windows 10: Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet

Discus and support Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just installed a Dlink DIR-890L and it is setup to assign devices to the range 192.168.1.1 to .254 [img] However, it seems that when most of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by superwindow, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet

I just installed a Dlink DIR-890L and it is setup to assign devices to the range 192.168.1.1 to .254

Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet [​IMG]

However, it seems that when most of my devices connect they are ending up with an IP address that is 192.168.0.something.

This is causing the device to be able to connect to the router but not to the Internet. It has happened with my laptop, 2 cell phones and wireless thermostat. I have no idea why. Right now I am going into each device and changing the default IP and then manually changing its gateway to 192.168.1.1 (it's also coming up wrong)

I have no idea why this is happening.

I see this in the router settings but there is no where to change the default gateway but I'm not sure if I need to and so far I have been changing it to 192.168.1.1 on all the devices that I have to manually configure/

Any suggestions?

:)

superwindow, Jul 31, 2017

2. Hosted Network Problem

I have a hcl laptop with a 801.1n wifi driver, hosted network supported

I had a good time using it but since last week when so ever I use hosted network service it gets started with internet access but when I connect my devices they get connected but without internet, all my three phones, other laptop, Tv all the devices are
    not able to get internet access.

MORE INFO :

I have a win10 pc

I have set ip address of virtual wifi driver 192.168.137.1

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

default gateway "blank"

dns 220.226.100.40

My device (phone)

ip 192.168.137.46

subnet 255.255.255.0

default gateway 192.168.137.1

dns 220.226.100.40

My device (phone 2)

ip 192.168.137.29

subnet 255.255.255.0

dns 220.226.100.40

My device (phone 3)

ip 192.168.137.100

subnet 255.255.255.0

dns 220.226.100.40

none of my devices get net access but on pc (windows), I can see hosted network access type: internet

KunwarPreet, Jul 31, 2017
  3. -Syolaar- Win User
    My internet "blue screens" when my desktop does.

My network is setup as follows:

1. ISP router running DCHP/DNS, wired to IPTV box & my router. Subnet 192.168.0

2. My router running WiFi. Ethernet connections to desktop PC & server. External address acquired via ISP router's DHCP, Internal subnet 192.168.1

3. Server running DHCP,DNS, etc for the 192.168.1 subnet.

4. Desktop PC connected by ethernet

5. Laptops, tablets, phones connected via WiFi

Here's the weirdness: If my desktop PC blue/green screens it takes the whole network with it and I can't figure out why.

The local network works fine, but any outgoing connection trying to reach the internet never makes it. WiFi connected devices show as connected with no internet. Ethernet connected devices show all is normal but cannot load any sites. Once I reset the desktop,
    all returns to normal as if nothing happened.

The behaviour suggests the internet connection is in some way dependent on the desktop, but that's all on the server. Eveything is fine when the desktop is off, so clearly no dependence. Yet the problem persists. The problem extends beyond the local subnet
    as it takes down my IPTV connection also, but neither subnet is directly affected as I can still reach every device on both subnets.

The issue started with Windows 10, from the moment I upgraded from Windows 7. I have clean installed many times since (2-3 times/year usually) to no avail. I have looked at the dump file and it seems to happen for a wide range of crashes (apps, drivers,
    windows kernel, memory). Not all, but no particular pattern has emerged allowing me to narrow it down. The condition is unique to my desktop, no other devices, wired or otherwise, cause this to happen.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

-Syolaar-, Jul 31, 2017
  4. Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet

Hi superwindow.

I would change the start of range to 10 or even 25. I leave a few in case I have to set a printer to a static address.

Once change you must save. As soon as you save, if it took, according to your manual, you will become disconnected.

I would reboot PC and reconnect.

Ken

Edit: Obviously there are lots of panels before this. Have you confirmed their entries?

Caledon Ken, Jul 31, 2017
  5. I think after some reading I have found the cluprit, I just don't know how to fix it. In the bottom picture of my first post I see my IP address is 192.168.0.1 this is in the DHCP table of my ISP's modem/router, but I think what I want here is my external IP.

So my guess is I need to change a setting in the ISP modem but I am not sure what I want to change? Do I turn DHCP off, or go to bridge mode?

Here is the settings in the ISP modem/router

superwindow, Jul 31, 2017
  6. 91fw Win User
    Your last picture says that you're looking on the LAN side of the modem/router.
    Your external IP will be on the WAN side. Just change the tab on top. It will show IP that your ISP gave you.

Your other questions aren't too clear at his point because you did not describe the wiring. Which port on the new router (LAN or WAN) is connected to which port of the modem?

91fw, Aug 1, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    If things are getting the wrong ipi ts being picked up from another dhcp server ie the modem thats whats giving your problem. What logs into the isp the modem or router in most cases the modem just connects but the router logs in

Samuria, Aug 1, 2017
  8. Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet

Got it figured out, I called my ISP and they remotely changed their modem/router to bridge mode, so far so good.

superwindow, Aug 1, 2017
  9. sml156 Win User
    Do you have the ISP's router connected to the WAN side of your Dlink, If the pictures I seen on Google are correct the WAN side of the D'Link looks yellow, This is important even now as your ISP's router is in bridge mode.

All your other devices connect to the LAN side of the Dlink which are all black.

sml156, Aug 1, 2017
  10. OK thought I had it figured out, but I reset TWO computers that are hard wired to the router and both got assigned an IP address that is 192.168.0.XXX

I have no idea how this can be happening. Only think I can think of is that I changed dlink from being in the 192.168.0.XXX range to the 192.168.1.XXX range and maybe there is a glitch in their firmware.

The router isn't actually in bridge mode, but IP PASSTHROUGH mode, and it is passed to the MAC Address of my dlink router, not sure what else I can do??

The IP Address of router is now showing as my external IP address so the passthrough is working correctly.

superwindow, Aug 1, 2017
  11. sml156 Win User
    As mentioned above in an earlier post do not set your DHCP from 1.1 to 1.254 if you don't have many devices set it from 1.100 to 1.199

Also as mentioned above have you pressed the save button after you made changes to the Dlink

Also did you check if your lan cables are connected properly as was mentioned above.

It's also a good idea to reboot your Dlink router after making major changes.

You can reset your lan card by following this tutorial written by Brink.
    Reset Network Adapters in Windows 10 Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials

I would also see if checking Always broadcast located in your DHCP server settings.

If all that does not work Reset your Dlink back to factory defaults, Then try changing it back to 192.168.1.1 if you want.

sml156, Aug 1, 2017
  12. Shadowjk Win User
    Looks like you had two devices running DHCP. First come first serve is how it works. So your "modem" was still acting as a router and DHCP server. Bridge mode stops that.

Regarding the scope. You have it set from 1.1 to 1.254, you can change it but honestly it makes no difference. The protocol has mechanisms to avoid duplicate addressing and not worth the hassle tweaking.

Regards,
    Josh

Shadowjk, Aug 1, 2017
  13. Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet

I did all the above steps, checked cable, adjusted DHCP table, etc.. and still some devices are getting 192.168.0.XXX even after the ISP router/modem is in IP passthrough.

Maybe time to factory reset and just go wtih 192.168.0.XXX

superwindow, Aug 1, 2017
  14. Shadowjk suggest in his first line, set ISP router to bridge mode. Have you tried this?

Caledon Ken, Aug 2, 2017
  15. I can't in the settings, and when I called my ISP they said they only do that for the super expensive Internet package; however, they walked me through setting up IP PASSTHROUGH which disables the DHCP on the modems end.

superwindow, Aug 2, 2017
Thema:

Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet

1. Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet - Similar Threads - Wifi Devices connecting

2. Beginners Subnetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Beginners Subnetting: I am taking a class in computer applications, and currently using Windows 11. I would like to know a safe website to get understanding on knowing about subnetting and doing assignments in the subject. Last place I checked I thought was Microsoft, then when they wanted to...
  3. Can't connect to wifi device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't connect to wifi device: I can't connect using the shortcut...Widows key plus K to a wifi device. I added the device but can't connect to it. The device is a Roku Ultra. I tried resetting, rebooting, the whole works. I had a friend bring his Dell laptop by and it connected to the Roku device...
  4. WiFi Device connect to Router WiFi Signal.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi Device connect to Router WiFi Signal.: How do I get a Router to find a WiFi Adapter so that the WiFi adapter can pick up the Router WiFi signal ? The WiFi Router is useless as it needs to inherit a WiFi signal for it to work. I had Windows find the device once, but then I couldn't get it to find it again ?...
  5. Windows 10 keeps connecting to wrong wifi.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 keeps connecting to wrong wifi.: I am sitting in my truck working on my laptop, connected to my iphones hotspot. My computer will kick me off the hotspot and connect to some dudes printer or the guy next to me's hotspot. Pretty frustrated... HELP!!! submitted by /u/rydog747 [link] [comments]...
  6. Devices won't connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Devices won't connect to wifi: So I just got a new laptop and I haven't been able to get it to connect to the wifi at all. When I click the wifi to connect to it, put in the password, hit connect, it simply tells me "can't connect to this network". I've tried moving it closer to the router and nothing....
  7. DEVICE CONNECTION VIA WIFI

DEVICE CONNECTION VIA WIFI: cannot see 1T Seagate GoFlex Home wireless hard drive on file explorer. does not show up in Network. Memeo Backup finds the 3 drives (x Public, Y personal & z Backup) when I connect via the internet. I did manage to get them to register in Network once and then dragged...
  8. DEVICE CONNECTION VIA WIFI

DEVICE CONNECTION VIA WIFI: cannot see 1T Seagate GoFlex Home wireless hard drive on file explorer. does not show up in Network. Memeo Backup finds the 3 drives (x Public, Y personal & z Backup) when I connect via the internet. I did manage to get them to register in Network once and then dragged...
  9. Can't connect to wifi devices

Can't connect to wifi devices: My computer was paired and could connect to a sound bar and an Echo. I was playing music from my computer to the soundbar, and it stopped working. I removed both devices and tried to connect again. The computer could find both devices, but could no longer pair or connect....
  10. Wrong Icon for WiFi connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong Icon for WiFi connection: Windows 10 has been working just fine for me since I upgraded my Lenovo laptop from Windows 7 to Window 10 last year. It automatically connects me to my home network when I start Windows. Until just a few days ago the icon in the system tray was the normal icon for a network...