Windows 10: Wifi doesn't connect on Startup but connects on Restart

Discus and support Wifi doesn't connect on Startup but connects on Restart in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro version 1607 that I use only once a week for a few hours. Every time I power up for my weekly session, the wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jfniss, Feb 7, 2017.

1. jfniss Win User

Wifi doesn't connect on Startup but connects on Restart

I have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro version 1607 that I use only once a week for a few hours. Every time I power up for my weekly session, the wifi fails to connectWifi doesn't connect on Startup but connects on Restart :pinging 98.139.183.24 with 32 bytes of dataWifi doesn't connect on Startup but connects on Restart :pING: transmit failed. General failure.
    C:\>ping yahoo.comPing request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.
    Sometimes I walk away for an hour; when I return, Ping fails again. But if I do a Restart, on the second startup the wifi connects and works normally throughout my session. However, if the system goes into Sleep mode, when I wake it up, the wifi fails again until I do a Restart.

Can anyone explain this and tell me how to fix it? Thanks.

:)

jfniss, Feb 7, 2017
  2. ReggieC11 Win User

WiFi Connect Automatically not working

My W10 Dell desktop starts and connects to the internet via ethernet. After startup, I can go to my wifi settings choose connect and select "connect automatically" and I can now see my wifi network.

I now restart and the wifi network is no longer connected!. I must go to : settings, wifi, connect, connect automatically again to see my wifi network and printers. The thing will not stay connected wifi after a restart. I have checked my network adapter
    driver and have the latest.

One more piece of information. If I disconnect the ethernet cable switch to wifi then restart the machine does connect properly to the wifi as expected. It seems it will not reconnect to wifi on start up if it finds an ethernet connection?

Is this expected behavior of Windows 10?

ReggieC11, Feb 7, 2017
  3. Evan87nh Win User
    Wifi connect

Trying to connect to wifi but it doesn't give me a chance to type in the wifi password it just tries to connect and is unable to. Restarted the computer several times and still same problem.

Evan87nh, Feb 7, 2017
  4. Wifi doesn't connect on Startup but connects on Restart

Please open up device manager, find your wireless adapter, go to properties, Power Management Tab and disable the computers ability to shut off adapter to save power.

I would also look up your wireless adapters MAC address and then, while you are connected, enter your router and "Reserve" an IP address for this MAC address.

This allows your laptop to continue using DCHP assignments, should you move it, but says to all other device in house, this laptop gets this IP address.

The process to reserve IP addresses is different with each router. If you post make and model it will be easier for people to assist.

Caledon Ken, Feb 8, 2017
  5. jfniss Win User
    There is no Power Management tab in my wifi adapter properties. The closest I could find is this:

jfniss, Feb 8, 2017
  6. Interesting.

You may be able to achieve similar results by heading to advance power management and under USB, disable USB Suspend setting.

Caledon Ken, Feb 8, 2017
  7. jfniss Win User
    Any idea why Windows connects the wifi on a second startup, but not on the first? The wifi connects and works normally when I do an immediate Restart after a cold startup. To me, that indicates a Windows problem--if it can connect the wifi on a Restart, why not on the initial Startup?

jfniss, Feb 8, 2017
  8. Wifi doesn't connect on Startup but connects on Restart

Can't answer that. It is likely something in Fast Start up or how Windows or the driver is treating adapter with regards to power management. While I think MS has done a very good job of allowing Windows 10 to run on a collection of devices your card is extremely old my technology standards. I have an old Dell that was built for XP. I bought new adapter and went through the installation set up pain.

If you wanted to eliminate Fast Start up, as a test just to see if it is involved, disable hibernation.

Command prompt(admin)

powercfg -h off

Test for a while to see if behaviour changes. To turn back on powercfg -h on

Caledon Ken, Feb 8, 2017
  9. jfniss Win User
    Thanks, I'll try that. Can you send me a link to something that explains Win10 Fast Startup, and why turning off hibernation might change it?

jfniss, Feb 8, 2017
  10. Sure.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

You will notice in "Tips" for Fast Start hibernation has be be enabled. The command I gave you shuts it off and can be quickly undone. It eliminates hibernation and fast Start up.

Caledon Ken, Feb 8, 2017
  11. jfniss Win User
    Disabling Hibernation seems to have solved the problem.

jfniss, Feb 25, 2017
  12. Great. I'd like to get to bottom of this as connectivity is a real issue.

Glad yours is working. Thanks for posting back.

Caledon Ken, Feb 25, 2017
  13. jfniss Win User

By the way, I have a similar problem that I thought might be solved by the same fix but wasn't. I use a bunch of Dell Latitude D520s, originally with XP, now with Windows 10. I was a great fan of Outlook Express and despaired to find it wouldn't run on Windows 10 until I found and started using OC Classic. My routine is to boot OEC in Startup and never close it, to put the computer into Sleep mode when I'm absent during the day, but to shut it down at night. OEC is set to check mail automatically, which it does fine on Startup and periodically thereafter. But if the computer has been sleeping, on wakeup OEC tries to check mail before the Internet connection is re-established, so I get an error message every time I wake up the computer. This didn't happen when I followed the same routine using original OE and XP. (In this case, my Internet connection is by ethernet on a different Dell D520.) I've corresponded with Zvonko Tesic (the prime developer of OEC) about this, but he has other fish to fry. This problem seems similar to the wifi failure on Fast Start: the connection sequence apparently differs between Startup and Wakeup causing mail check to work on Startup but fail on Wakeup.

jfniss, Feb 26, 2017
  14. Good luck.... if only we could code our own solutions.

Caledon Ken, Feb 26, 2017
  15. big10 Win User
    Disabling Hibernation will also disable the "Fast Startup".

big10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wifi doesn't connect on Startup but connects on Restart - Similar Threads - Wifi doesn't connect

2. Delayed wifi connection on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delayed wifi connection on startup: I had posted this question a couple times before but was never solved until now. I wanted to share with others what finally solved the problem for me. I had a delayed wifi connection on startup where it used to connect instantly but then suddenly started taking a minute or...
  3. Delayed wifi connection on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delayed wifi connection on startup: I had posted this question a couple times before but was never solved until now. I wanted to share with others what finally solved the problem for me. I had a delayed wifi connection on startup where it used to connect instantly but then suddenly started taking a minute or...
  4. Delayed wifi connection on startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Delayed wifi connection on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Delayed wifi connection on startup: My wifi used to connect almost instantly on startup. Recently it has started taking 1 min after startup before it will connect automatically. It can connect instantly manually by either unchecking and checking "connect automatically" or by hitting "connect". It just wont do...
  6. Wifi Disconnects and then doesn't connect till next restart.

Wifi Disconnects and then doesn't connect till next restart.: The issue is pretty much self explanatory, the wifi connection breaks for unknown reason randomly while using the laptop. When trying to reconnect, shows "Can't connect to this network", is even unable to connect to any other network. On trying to turn off wifi and turn it...
  7. Internet doesn't connect on startup

Internet doesn't connect on startup: This has been happening to me recently and I don't know why. It's not a huge inconvenience, but it is annoying and I want to figure out how to fix it. When I boot my pc and log in to the desktop screen, my internet will not connect for about 30 seconds. This makes it so all...
  8. WIFI won't connect on startup. Restart and then it works

WIFI won't connect on startup. Restart and then it works: I've just done a fresh install of win 10 pro 64 bit on my sony MCR CR220E and my wifi connection refuses to work when I start the computer. It forever shows connecting and it's set to connect automatically on my home network. Running trouble shooter brings no results. If I...
  9. Wifi connect on startup

Wifi connect on startup: My home wifi is set to connect automatically but when starting up, a whole list of other wifi networks appear which all show that the "connect automatically" box is checked. This seems to cause problems with my PC seemingly unable to connect straightaway. How can I stop this...
  10. Wifi doesn't auto connect

Wifi doesn't auto connect: Hi all, Been the case for a number of months now - wifi doesn't auto connect after turning laptop on. Always have to manually connect. Any fix for this? Many thanks. 101853