Windows 10: wifi icon stuck in airplane mode despite full connectivity

Discus and support wifi icon stuck in airplane mode despite full connectivity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just (Dec. 19, 2015) completed the latest update to Windows 10, had trouble with my volume icon, fixed it, then found my wifi icon is stuck in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by flawles, Dec 19, 2015.

1. flawles Win User

wifi icon stuck in airplane mode despite full connectivity

I just (Dec. 19, 2015) completed the latest update to Windows 10, had trouble with my volume icon, fixed it, then found my wifi icon is stuck in airplane mode despite the laptop having full wifi functionality. Tried turning system icons on and off through the "task bar and start menu properties" dialog box, tried various combinations of "on" and "off" while restarting the entire system, nothing works. I've connected and reconnected wirelessly by both using a physical button (shaped like an antenna emitting parentheses-shaped waves) and by using the icon that's now stuck in airplane mode. I can access the internet, but I can't see the status in the task bar as I used to. All I see is the icon shaped like an airplane, even while I'm clearly not in airplane mode and when I should therefore be seeing the wifi icon.

I know this is a very specific situation, but does anyone know of a possible solution? As the wifi connection can be unstable, it would be nice to have the icon functioning again so I know at a glance when my wifi is out.

:)

flawles, Dec 19, 2015
  2. JimInOH Win User

KB3156421 or KB3152599 causing wifi network problem

On May 19, I applied the subject updates to my Toshiba A665 laptop. Upon restart, the wireless network was turned off and Airplane mode was enabled. I tried turning off airplane mode and it would not turn off. Tried turning off/on my wifi using hardware
    switch... didn't work. Ran network troubleshooter and it fixed the connectivity problem (wifi connection working), however the Airplane mode icon remained in the tray. Tried restarting Windows Explorer via task manager. Airplane mode icon is replaced with
    wifi icon showing full strength connection (should only be about 60%), but hovering over it shows "Not connected - no connections are available." Checked for wifi hardware driver updates... says it is up to date. I don't know which of the updates caused
    the problem, but one of them did. I dual boot on this machine with Linux and it works fine, so I know it is not a hardware issue. Having no usable network status icon is annoying.

JimInOH, Dec 19, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Laptop Wont connect to WiFi. Airplane mode toggles on automatically.

I am usually connected to my home network, however as of January 1st, 2018, whenever i close my laptop or turn it off, it refuses to connect to the internet upon restarting.

The network appears with full bars. My Phone, Playstation, and Smart TV are connected still, however when i try to connect to the network via my laptop's built in wifi, The Airplane Mode light will turn from white to orange for a second, then back to white
    while refusing to connect. All it says is "Can't connect to network" and no troubleshooting options have helped.

I can find instances of people being stuck in airplane mode, but can't understand why it seems to be throttling Airplane Mode during the critical moment of connectivity and then saying i have WiFi available still.

CHRISCARLONI, Dec 19, 2015
  4. Ace Viper Win User

I'm having the same problem after the same update .. other than that I can't start Chrome and Windows Defender either

Ace Viper, Dec 19, 2015
  5. lmaneke Win User
    tons of bugs in the new 10586 version of Windows 10

Also talked to Ace Viper, that he may need to revert back to the original Windows 10 version 10240

Click start

click settings

click on update and security

Click on recovery

click on revert to previous build.

I had tons of issues with the new build, and reverted back and had no problems. I'll be waiting for the next build to do testing.

lmaneke, Dec 19, 2015
  6. This seems like it could be a dangerous error. Like on a plane??? And yes, I have this issue currently. I even tried to report it and offered up my pc to the local FBI folks. They were not interested nor concerned.

tiggerthetiger, Jan 9, 2016
  7. puosu Win User
    Im having this same problem (asus zenbook ux303la) Also in my fn keys the aeroplane button is lit continuously, even wifi works perfectly.

Cant anyone HELP!? this is quite annoying (specially in aeroplanes)

puosu, Jul 6, 2016
  8. nsxtasy Win User

I had the same problem. I went through the instructions on this web page but I still had the airplane mode icon on my task bar, and it said I had no connection, even though I had full connectivity.

Then I turned airplane mode off, and it was all fixed! Here's how I turned off airplane mode:

1. Click on Windows button on keyboard
    2. Click on Settings
    3. Click on Network & Internet
    4. Click on the second item in the left column, which is Airplane Mode
    5. Make sure the toggle under Airplane Mode is off. Mine was on, so I slided it to Off and that fixed the problem.

HTH

nsxtasy, Jul 12, 2016
  9. Even though Airplane Mode is turned off, it still show's as being on in the notification area and there are hundreds of post's around the net about it. MS has never fixed it yet in 10586.

CADesertRat, Jul 12, 2016
  10. puosu Win User
    Yes this just turned my flightmode on (really) and turned of the light that is lit on my fn key (with aeroplane)

puosu, Jul 12, 2016
  11. woodyard Win User
    Try to run these commands in an elevated command prompt:

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset

woodyard, Jul 12, 2016
  12. oabryant Win User
    task bar
    -----------------------
    Recently, I installed Win 10 Version 11.321.14393.0 but was unable to remove or disable the Airplane Mode. My fix: enable the "Radio Management and Airplane Mode Service" in the Services. This allowed the Wi-Fi and Airplane Mode icon settings to toggle independently and in conjunction.
    So far, I've been able to remove only the Airplane Mode icon from the Action Center (lower rt. screen) by unchecking the "Allow computer to turn off device" settings found in Devices -> Network Adapter w/Hidden Devices selected. When boxes are unchecked, the AM icon is removed from the Action Center.

oabryant, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. wifi icon stuck in airplane mode despite full connectivity - Similar Threads - wifi icon stuck

2. WIFI to AIRPLANE MODE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIFI to AIRPLANE MODE: Dear team,Can you please assist, my laptop WIFI automatically changes to AIRPLANE mode, from AIRPLANE mode to wifi, its keep changing without control. I tried couple of options but does not help, recently have change from Hard drive to SSD card.Ex: Resetting networks, turning...
  3. Stuck in airplane mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck in airplane mode: Hi, I tried to clean boot my computer, and I was using a pin to login to my computer, but now it requires a password, and I didn't remember it, so I changed it from my phone, so I know it is the right one, but it says incorrect because I'm stuck in airplane mode. Can someone...
  4. Stuck in Airplane mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in Airplane mode: After updating to the latest version of Windows my computer went into airplane mode and I can't turn it off. How do I get it to turn back off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-in-airplane-mode/d373b333-288f-4fe9-a98e-664a38a16a38
  5. No wifi button on internet icon. Airplane mode is not on.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No wifi button on internet icon. Airplane mode is not on.: [IMG]My computer isn't connecting to the internet. The only option from troubleshooting is plugging in ethernet cables. I've never had to do that before. I know the wifi network os working because my firetv is connected to it. I even tried connecting to my phones wifi...
  6. WiFi inoperable - stuck in Airplane Mode

WiFi inoperable - stuck in Airplane Mode: All adapters are updated, network updated, windows updated, uninstalled and reinstalled centrino n-6205. A windows update to the computer came in October 21 and soon after the wifi went out and has not worked since. Got a USB wifi adapter but the system won't let it...
  7. Airplane Mode stuck

Airplane Mode stuck: What Fn key combo can I use to turn on Airplane Mode? It is currently grayed out and when I try to use my mouse, nothing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/airplane-mode-stuck/a95b5043-2868-4e21-b64e-f2cede7c7c67
  8. Airplane mode stuck!

Airplane mode stuck!: I tried to turn off my computer, but it was stuck loading. So i held down the power button and that turned it off, then i turned it back on to find that airplane mode is on and i cant turn it off. I dont know how to fix it!...
  9. cannot connect to wifi, airplane mode ON

cannot connect to wifi, airplane mode ON: my desktop network adapter did not work, cannot update / reinstall the driver, airplane mode kept on. Did someone experience same problem? anyone can help with this problems? thanks so much!...
  10. Stuck in airplane mode

Stuck in airplane mode: Help! My 2 yr old HP notebook suddenly seems to be locked in airplane mode & is rendered useless. Can't connect to internet. Internal windows diagnostics can't fix. Used my desktop to search forums about this problem. Seems to be shared with others, but none of the posted...