Windows 10: WIFI issue with public connection where there is a redirect

Discus and support WIFI issue with public connection where there is a redirect in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I’m having an issue connecting to a public wifi, specifically Starbucks with one of my WIN10 computers. I have another WIN10 machine that connects... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SJ Guar, Aug 22, 2018.

1. SJ Guar Win User

WIFI issue with public connection where there is a redirect

I’m having an issue connecting to a public wifi, specifically Starbucks with one of my WIN10 computers. I have another WIN10 machine that connects fine, so I know it is not the provider. My phone and Ipad also connect fine. It’s just my one machine. This happens with all browsers - Chrome, IE and Edge. When connecting, I can see that the first page Edge goes to is MSFTconnecttest.com/redirect, then the SBUX-portal.appspot, then it stalls at another page and won’t connect. I’ve tried all of the command prompt actions such as ipconfig /renew, /release, /flush, etc. with no success. I’ve tried specifying the DNS servers as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and that does not work. Basically, I’ve tried everything, to no avail. I don’t have the Edge error detail message in front of me, but it says something like, “Temporary DNS error. Try refreshing your browser”, and then there is a code at the bottom. I’ll find it and update this post. I’ve read that this problem has happened to people after one of the WIN10 updates, and that is when it seemed to happen to me. I recently checked the update page, and I’m running the most current versions. I’ve also checked for BIOS and wifi adaptor updates, and I’m current (my Dell is running a Killer Wireless 1435). I’m sure the problem is not at Starbucks - I’ve tried at numerous locations, with the same result, and as I mentioned, I have another WIN10 machine (and a WIN7) and both connect fine, so please don’t suggest that I call their help deskWIFI issue with public connection where there is a redirect :) I really don’t want to have to completely reset my machine and have to reinstall everything to fix this.

:)

SJ Guar, Aug 22, 2018

2. Can't connect to certain public WiFi.

Hi,

To better assist you with the public WiFi connection issue, please answer the following questions:

• Which Windows version is currently running on your phone?
    • Are you able to connect your phone to other public WiFi hotspot?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Regards.

Rommel Diw, Aug 22, 2018
  3. NS6288 Win User
    Public WiFi Error

Hello,

Recently I reinstalled Windows on my HP Spectre x360 (windows 10). Afterwards, I found that when trying to connect to public WiFi I get the error message below. I never had this issue before and cant seem to find any information on it. I use public WiFi often
    so this is very frustrating. I can still connect to WiFi but this issue refuses to open and redirect a webpage to the log-in of the network. The only way to connect to the network is to already know what the log-in page is. Any suggestions?

WIFI issue with public connection where there is a redirect [​IMG]

NS6288, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Public WiFi connection

Hi,

Captive portal is a restricted network connection in which all client HTTP requests are redirected to the provider’s web site. Since your Windows 10 PC can connect to the WiFi, but not with the captive portal, we recommend that you contact the Network Administrator
    that runs the public WiFi. They will be the one to assist you since this is out of scope of support of Microsoft.

Should you have further queries, feel free to post it

Eric Ber, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

1. WIFI issue with public connection where there is a redirect - Similar Threads - WIFI issue public

2. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  3. Public wifi connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public wifi connection: My laptop is not able to connect to public networks despite detecting them...."Do you want your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?" This is what I see only.please help....
  4. Public wifi connection

Public wifi connection: My laptop is not able to connect to public networks despite detecting them...."Do you want your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?" This is what I see only.please help....
  5. Public wifi connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Unable to connect to public wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to public wifi: I'm stuck in some sort of login loop. I am trying to connect to the hospital public wifi. I log in as it requires but it just either loads this page or another login page which in turn loads this. I've tried chrome and edge. I've got two tablets currently connected to it and...
  7. Unable to connect to public wifi

Unable to connect to public wifi: I'm stuck in some sort of login loop. I am trying to connect to the hospital public wifi. I log in as it requires but it just either loads this page or another login page which in turn loads this. I've tried chrome and edge. I've got two tablets currently connected to it and...
  8. Connecting to Public WiFi

Connecting to Public WiFi: Since the latest update was pushed last week, I cannot connect to public WiFi networks that require verification on a browser after making the connection (Google Starbucks). Any suggestions?...
  9. Wifi Connection Issues in Public Locations

Wifi Connection Issues in Public Locations: I recently upgraded my HP to windows 10. I was able to get the Internet Explorer to reinstall and I have internet accessability when working from home. But when I try to work remotely, I am unable to connect to a public wifi? Please advice or help. Thank you...
  10. msftconnecttest redirect not working on windows 10 public wifi

msftconnecttest redirect not working on windows 10 public wifi: Hi I have been having problems with public wifi on my laptop since last Nov. Running windows 10. Every time I try to connect to internet with a restricted site (ie requiring a login/password) browser opens to msftconnecttest://redirect and never goes any further - get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. public wifi issue

2. issues with connecting to public wifi redirect

3. wifi connect redirect