Windows 10: Wifi issue

Discus and support Wifi issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Now I updated my old TP-Link modem router (2.4 "N") to a dual ban TP-Link modem router. (up to AC) The problem is I keep my main laptop in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ICIT2LOL, May 15, 2017.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Wifi issue

Now I updated my old TP-Link modem router (2.4 "N") to a dual ban TP-Link modem router. (up to AC)

The problem is I keep my main laptop in my sitting room where it barely if at all picks up h e5GHz signal and the bare minimum of the 2.4GHz signal because the sitting room is made of solid brick and the dual band modem is around 7 metres away with only a small door opening between the comp room and hti brick room.

I was reading this article after I Googled whether I could use my old modem to get a decent signal in the sitting room. The incoming copper is just the other side of the wall and I was rather hoping I could just plug the modem in - in the sitting room and just use the wifi for this main laptop while still using the dual and modem in the other room??.

Turn Your Old Router Into A Range-Boosting Wi-Fi Repeater | Lifehacker Australia

So is this possible can someone tell me and as I am no expert at all with networking the answer has to be reasonably simple if possible. In effect can I run tow modems from the one incoming line using double adaptors if there are such things. I have some spare splitters and RJ cable and it would e simple just to feed that phone line in to this room.

:)

ICIT2LOL, May 15, 2017

2. shut down goes into restart mode instead of shutting down

shut down goes into restart mode instead of shutting down

shutdown issue, May 15, 2017
  3. Wifi issues

It Worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much for your time and help.

ThereseKeane, May 15, 2017
  4. Wifi issue

Hi Icit2lol.

I very much doubt your ISP will allow two modems on their network from one address but it could be possible.

That said you can use your old device as an extender. Generally you can buy made up lan cables in different lengths with one small issue, the RJ45 connectors require about a 1/2 inch hole to pass through a wall. If you are to making cables then the hole is about a 1/4"

If it is possible to lay and thread this cable through the brick wall then you are set. Before we talk how, lets understand if you can get cable from new device to a position in your Bricked sitting room where you would locate old device.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 17, 2017
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok Ken I think maybe I will think about running a (very long ? 5-7 metres) Ethernet cable to the sitting room from the comp room and maybe plug it to one of those plug in extenders as I have two hubs in the comp room I can do that from.

Yes my ISP Telstra the national carrier is pretty greedy when to comes to doing what I was thinking of doing and after all the signal is only going to be "split" and I can't see why hey would object. The other problem with that is that one now has to go through one of those awful call centres and usually offshore where explaining stuff to them is not easy.

ICIT2LOL, May 17, 2017
  6. While 5 - 7 seems long it is well inside the length limits of an Ethernet cable.

Should you decide to do this you would plug one end into your new modem router, in one of the standard ports, usually located on the rear and then the other end would go into the old modem router in one of its four rear ports located in sitting room. (Not the WAN port if you want one big network.)

If you provide the full model number of the old modem router we can look into specific instructions. At a high level, on the old device, you would log into the router, shut off dchp services, select a wireless channel different than the 2.4 channel of the new modem router to reduce possible interference, assign a new SSID so you can tell then apart, assign a wireless password, save it all and then on your laptop, join the network.

Should be nothing to buy or split apart from cable.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 17, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    There are 2 way to do this run a cable from the new routers lan port to the old routers lan port. On the old router you need to set the ip in the same range as the new one but different ip. So if the new on is 192.168.1.1 set the old one to 192.168.1.25 subnet 255.255.255.0 the second router needs to have dhcp turned off so you get all your ip from the new one. You need to connect directly to the old router and set it up before connecting to the network set the ssid different than the new one so you know which your connecting to .

The other method is simpler get a powerplug set TP-Link 600 Mbps 2-Port Powerline Adapter, Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, Wi-Fi Clone, UK Plug (TL-WPA4220KIT V1.20) - Pack of 2: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

Plug one in near new router network cable from adapter to router. Put the second adapter in the other room or move it were ever you want and you have wireless and Ethernet in the other room no cables through the wall. If the old router is 100 meg the powerline will be quicker at 600 meg

Samuria, May 18, 2017
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

Wifi issue

Ok well I did try the extenders (TP-Link ones) but with not much luck and I shall have to Google a lot of the settings you are referring to because I am the worlds worst when it comes to this stuff.

The fix with the Ethernet cable looks probably the best but it does mean trailing yet another cable through the room to the laptop.

Edit Now would it be possible to extend the antennae (one) suing coax cable to outside of the room it is in nearer to the room the machine is in??

ICIT2LOL, May 18, 2017
  9. Not sure on extending antenna.

I thought you said you had an old router and a new, both wireless. The lan cable would be connected between the two, not to your laptop.

Caledon Ken, May 18, 2017
  10. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok Ken now I amhaving problems posting to replies again so I hope this copied/pasteddoc works I cannot get an antenna extension cable long enough forgetting the antenna itself into the sitting room.

So after watchingsome Youtubes I saw that some made a DIY parabolic refelctor thatsits behind the antenna to direct the signal a little better. (I haveplayed around with making yagi and phased array stuff so thoughtwhat have I got to lose.

So I fixed somealuminium foil to the wall behind the modem thinking it might juststop the signal from going through the wall behind it strengtheningthe signal towards the door that leads to the sitting room and itseems to have some effect so far . It isn’t very pretty but if itworks well why not??

ICIT2LOL, May 19, 2017
  11. Very cool.

Should you decide you want to install a lan cable and configure an old modem router post back and we will try to help.

Caledon Ken, May 19, 2017
  12. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yes mate now while ti seems to be holding up I have had to post as to why my wifi switch in settings keeps turning off and I haven't had chance to look for answers yet*Sad

ICIT2LOL, May 20, 2017
  13. ICIT2LOL Win User

Wifi issue

Yep Ken well I have got some other issues with it done and now I have doubled the signal speed by double - 39- 78Mbs with my Pepsi cans parabolics that aim the signal towards the door and hopefully is being picked up by this machine now.

Have got some larger aluminium tubing in the shed so should be able to get that reflector to at least three times the size of the cans*Wink

ICIT2LOL, May 20, 2017
  14. Helmut Win User
    That is a very poor arrangement of components. You have large chunks of metal/electronics in the way, A PC case, two monitors, speaker, 4 pairs of scissors, and a desk light. Assuming the Wireless route is in the direction of the photographer and behind.
    I would move your Router/WAP to a position close to the door, so the straight path is free of chunks of metal.

Helmut, May 20, 2017
  15. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok Helmut point taken mate and I have MkII in position now with a much larger reflector/s I think the problem is that there is only one doorway in tot that brick building.

Anyway they (my IPS) are coming to rig the new NBN system next week and that will be a test of wills.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Wifi issue

1. Wifi issue - Similar Threads - Wifi issue

2. Wifi driver missing and other issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi driver missing and other issues: My wifi driver isn’t appearing in my device manager and isn’t in hidden devices, my Bluetooth driver says nothing is connected when I checked and everything seems good, and my computer won’t read usb devices except my mouse dongleI am so confused and I need help! Thanks...
  3. Wifi driver missing and other issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi driver missing and other issues: My wifi driver isn’t appearing in my device manager and isn’t in hidden devices, my Bluetooth driver says nothing is connected when I checked and everything seems good, and my computer won’t read usb devices except my mouse dongleI am so confused and I need help! Thanks...
  4. WiFi Adapter Disabling Issue on Windows 11 Pro.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi Adapter Disabling Issue on Windows 11 Pro.: I am currently encountering an issue with the WiFi adapter on my Windows 11 Pro system, which was recently updated from Windows 10 Pro. Whenever my device is connected to a WiFi router or hotspot, and I either restart or turn off the router, Windows automatically disables the...
  5. WiFi Adapter Disabling Issue on Windows 11 Pro.

WiFi Adapter Disabling Issue on Windows 11 Pro.: I am currently encountering an issue with the WiFi adapter on my Windows 11 Pro system, which was recently updated from Windows 10 Pro. Whenever my device is connected to a WiFi router or hotspot, and I either restart or turn off the router, Windows automatically disables the...
  6. My wifi adapter driver keeps having issues please help Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My wifi adapter driver keeps having issues please help Windows 11: This problem has occurred multiple times already. Sometimes my wifi option in the quick settings will disappear, I have looked up many solutions to no avail. In device manager, it tells me that my wifi adapter isn't working and has reported problems. This has happened many...
  7. My wifi adapter keeps having issues please help Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My wifi adapter keeps having issues please help Windows 11: This problem has occurred multiple times already. Sometimes my wifi option in the quick settings will disappear, I have looked up many solutions to no avail. In device manager, it tells me that my wifi adapter isn't working and has reported problems. This has happened many...
  8. My wifi adapter driver keeps having issues please help Windows 11

My wifi adapter driver keeps having issues please help Windows 11: This problem has occurred multiple times already. Sometimes my wifi option in the quick settings will disappear, I have looked up many solutions to no avail. In device manager, it tells me that my wifi adapter isn't working and has reported problems. This has happened many...
  9. My wifi adapter keeps having issues please help Windows 11

My wifi adapter keeps having issues please help Windows 11: This problem has occurred multiple times already. Sometimes my wifi option in the quick settings will disappear, I have looked up many solutions to no avail. In device manager, it tells me that my wifi adapter isn't working and has reported problems. This has happened many...
  10. Slow/no-wifi issues on PC

Slow/no-wifi issues on PC: Hello there!For the past two weeks or so I've been having issues with my PC's wifi. Some mornings I'd boot it up but end up with extremely slow to no wi-fi, and I have no idea what's causing it-- it works perfectly fine on all other devices. Even in the same room, so I think...