Windows 10: WiFi - making adapter & available network preferences stay as selected

Discus and support WiFi - making adapter & available network preferences stay as selected in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Living in the Victorian terraced suburbs of one of the most densely populated university cities in the UK, there are loads of different WiFi networks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Fafhrd, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Fafhrd Win User

WiFi - making adapter & available network preferences stay as selected

Living in the Victorian terraced suburbs of one of the most densely populated university cities in the UK, there are loads of different WiFi networks in my area. My house is constructed so that I need to have my router at the front, and another router to serve the back of my house, and each competes with a different set of other WiFi networks. I've tried setting up repeaters or access points, but they don't seem to work well consistently. So I go out of range of one and choose the other router and get good connections from either.

WiFi - making adapter & available network preferences stay as selected [​IMG]

Whenever I open "Available networks"on my laptop, however many times I have unchecked "Connect Automatically" for neighbouring networks that I will never connect to, I find that they have all been checked again. I would prefer if they could be forgotten and never shown as "available" at all. The 2 routers I connect to manually, and they retain their setting most of the time, with connect automatically unchecked.

Similarly, my Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n Wireless adapter configuration allows 4 apparently user configurable property settings:

WiFi - making adapter & available network preferences stay as selected [​IMG]

AdHoc Support 802.11n -disabled
    Multimedia/gaming environment -disabled
    Radio on /off -enabled
    Roaming sensitivity -3. Medium

If ever I attempt to change the Roaming sensitivity or other properties, they revert to the defaults above. I guess this may be due to privileges, since no UAC box opens when I change these settings.

So how can I change both these areas of my WiFi setup in a more persistent way?

:)

Fafhrd, Feb 12, 2017

2. No preferred network after Windows 10 upgrade

After searching & searching & searching I finally found a link that gave me a solution.

The cause seems to have something to do with the WiFi adapter frequencies. Why this happened I have no idea, but it is now solved.

1) Go to Network & Sharing Centre

2) Change Adapter Settings

3) Right click on WiFi adapter & select preferences

4) Click on configure, the Advanced tab

5) Highlight Property Band. It will show value as Auto.

6) The pull down (on my Surface) shows: 2.4 Ghz only, 5 Ghz only, Auto

7) Select 2.4 Ghz and click OK

8) Voila, WiFi connections restored – I had to reenter the WiFi password.

9) After that I reset the Band back to Auto and the connection stays up.

Thanks to JPAYAMPS

Herrrwingert, Feb 12, 2017
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Internet Connection

Have you gone to Device manager and Network adapter and see if there are two adapters one for Ethernet and one for WiFi?

Then go Settings, Network & Internet and pick Wi-Fi and check Show available networks and connect to your network.

Also do not make a new thread but click on Reply at the bottom of the post you want to answer.

lacrumb, Feb 12, 2017
  4. WiFi - making adapter & available network preferences stay as selected

Hi Fafhrd.

Interesting questions. First link is a link to some general netsh commands.

How to manage wireless networks using Command Prompt in Windows 10 | Windows Central

Interesting comment in article, Win 10 gives priority to Networks set to connect automatically. Your home are not set if I read correctly.

This next link is to the full set of commands. Things like "Add filter" in conjunction with "Set blockednetworks" may be what you are looking to hide neighbours. Lots to experiment with.

Netsh Commands for Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) in Windows Server 2008

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 12, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Thanks Ken, I knew netsh was going to be the way to go. I'll do some research into it and see what happens.

Fafhrd, Feb 13, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Fafhrd what about going with the approach that I did for my network? The Engenius EAP1750H now allows you to Balance the bands between 2.4 & 5ghz to place so many devices on 2.4Ghz and so many on 5. The problem with 2.4ghz is that now manufactures default the gateways to Channel 6. I use Channel 3 & 11 for 2.4ghz and 100, 104, 108, 112 for 5ghz. If you sort inSSIDer by Signal Strength, that allows you to see how bad or good that it is. You will tend to see more access points when you have doors and windows open, along with at night if you let inSSIDer run for a while.

I have my A/P placed in the front of the house in a corner of the Living Room and can go up to 100 to 150 ft away and get 7mbps down for Internet test. My normal is around 60mbps down.

I built my network so that it was able to be expanded and a single item can be removed if bad or wishing to upgrade. I hate dealing with All in One units, because not all are the same and the manufacturers turn down the power, knowing that they will have a user ending up with channel overlap.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

WiFi - making adapter & available network preferences stay as selected

1. WiFi - making adapter & available network preferences stay as selected - Similar Threads - WiFi making adapter

2. Wifi network adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi network adapter: My other PC does have a Wifi network adapter and therefore unable to connect to WiFi. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-network-adapter/1fa8a8fb-ac57-4afb-88d5-dc42a1808905
  3. Wifi network adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi network adapter: My other PC does have a Wifi network adapter and therefore unable to connect to WiFi. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-network-adapter/1fa8a8fb-ac57-4afb-88d5-dc42a1808905
  4. No wifi network available

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No wifi network available: I installed windows 10 recently and it has no internet connection and in the wifi list I can see the wifi networks I want to connect to but it suddenly disappears and shows no wifi network available submitted by /u/Sea-Helicopter-5233 [link] [comments]...
  5. No WiFi Networks Available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No WiFi Networks Available: So recently I got a new internet provider. The wifi with the old provider worked, and even with the new provider. For about 2 hours then it just... Stopped. I don't know why, but it just did. I've been trying to get it to work over the past few days, but nothing that I do...
  6. No available wifi networks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No available wifi networks: I have an Acer Swift 3 laptop, which I just recently repaired keyboard wasn't connected properly and it doesn't want to show any wifi networks even though they appear on my phone. The only time it has shown an available wifi network was when I stood right next to my router,...
  7. No WiFi networks available

No WiFi networks available: hello- earlier today, my Lenovo Yoga laptop stopped showing available WiFi networks. Now all it shows is the “Airplane mode” symbol, no WiFi networks. This happens every couple months and often takes a couple days to sort out. Ive tried every solution suggested in these...
  8. No wifi connection available under Adapter Settings / Network Connections

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No wifi connection available under Adapter Settings / Network Connections: I have a WAN Miniport on my computer. I've been using it for 8 years with zero problems. I did a Windows update last night, and now I have no option to use wifi. None at all. When I check Device Manager, it shows my WAN miniport is installed and working properly; however,...
  9. wifi adapter issues, preferred adapters for windows 10

wifi adapter issues, preferred adapters for windows 10: my son has a self built computer that he has had for years. He just put in a new mother board and hard drive. The company that installed them insisted he update to windows 10. Finally getting it home, his wifi adapter would not install drivers. Went to store and bought new...
  10. Can I make my network adapter prefer the 5 GHz band?

Can I make my network adapter prefer the 5 GHz band?: I have an ancient Asus Z71A laptop (Pentium M, 915GM chipset). I have Windows 10 pro x86 running just fine on it. Yes, the old laptop is slow, but it works! I disabled the built-in wifi and added a dual band AE3000 USB wifi adapter. For various reasons, I have my router/AP...