Windows 10: Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable

Discus and support Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Basically what happened before: After updating to Windows 10, my computer was not showing any network options. (The icon says "Not connected - No... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by infinityxo1, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable

Basically what happened before: After updating to Windows 10, my computer was not showing any network options. (The icon says "Not connected - No connections are available) Going into Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections, it then says "Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged". I ran diagnostics and it said to plug in the ethernet cable to the network adaptor. So my wifi connection will not work with my laptop unless directly connected to by the ethernet cable. Wifi works fine with phones, ipods/ipads, and another laptop that was also updated to windows 10/a desktop still using windows 8.

:)

infinityxo1, Aug 21, 2015

2. Getting error "A network change was detected. ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED" on Google Chrome with Windows 10

I have the same problem ("Error Network Changed"). I get this error on both Edge and Chrome.

With WiFi connect and without WiFi connected (always with an Ethernet cable connected).

Also get the error with WiFi connected and the Ethernet cable disconnected.

For me - Edge, Chrome, Wifi, or no WiFi - still same error.

This is on my laptop.

I also have a desktop in the same room, connected by an Ethernet cable, and running Edge always (not Chrome). It has never gotten this error - only my laptop gets the error.

GeorgeNKing, Aug 21, 2015
  3. YichengLu Win User
    my computer can connect to the router via wifi but no internet connection, it can access internet through another computer's mobile hotspot to the same router

I tried to connect with an Ethernet cable today, it worked fine. Unplug the cable, the wifi worked fine as well. Reboot the computer without cable plugged, it returns to the same problem.

YichengLu, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable

If you can't connect with Wi-Fi plugging in an Ethernet cable is bypassing the wireless entirely. Have you checked Control Panel, Device Manager [or right-click the Start button and choose Device Manager], see if maybe you need to download then install drivers for your Wireless Network adapter? Check the Network work section, are there any yellow symbols there? Is the Wireless adapter listed? If so maybe it needs to have the drivers updated, right-click and make the choice while still connected. The downside to Upgrading to Win10 is the "it worked in Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1" doesn't guarantee it works in Win10 without updating drivers that Microsoft may not yet have available, they usually come from the manufacturer of devices.

Berton, Aug 21, 2015
  5. LVMan777 Win User
    Had the same problem with Asus P5K3 deluxe wifi motherboard upgrading to Windows 10...
    Plugged in an Ethernet cable...ok...but no built in wifi
    Next time I "RESTARTED"....voila ....wifi app shows up...and I connected to my router and removed the Ethernet cable...*Cool

LVMan777, Aug 21, 2015
  6. @LVMan777- I tried restarting before I posted this here but it didn't seem to resolve it. But there's got to be a way to fix this...
    @Berton- I'll check if I'm missing any drivers... But I'm not sure because the computer isn't recognizing a single network (as in not showing up to connect to).
    I mean, its very inconvenient to only have WiFi/internet connection to a laptop by being connected to this cable. If I can't get it to work I guess the computer can always be reset back to windows 7

infinityxo1, Aug 21, 2015
  7. Gagirl Win User
    I know this post is old but wondering if you ever got your wifi working? If so, what did you do?

Gagirl, Oct 27, 2016
  8. MegSeC Win User

I found the solution.
    Right click start button and go to "Device Manager" and select "Network Adapters" , in there would be something with the name of " Wireless Netwrok Adapter" , double click on it and then enable it, on using an Ethernet cable the adapter disables on it's own.

MegSeC, Apr 5, 2017
  9. I did this and still nothing. Ugh! Been trying to deal with this over 4 hours. Anyone else have another suggestion?

natashaemoore, Jul 23, 2017
  10. HBerryman Win User
    I know this is also old, but did you solve your problem?

HBerryman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable - Similar Threads - Wifi connecting without

2. Want to share wifi connection over ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Want to share wifi connection over ethernet cable: Objective? I'm trying to set up my Windows 10 computer to share it's wifi connection with another computer that is connected to it through an ethernet cable. Most instructions I've found on this topic tell you to get the wifi properties" > "sharing" tab. Although at that...
  3. Ethernet Cable connected, identifies network, but no internet. Wifi connects without a problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Cable connected, identifies network, but no internet. Wifi connects without a problem.: I am connected to my network by ethernet but I'm not able to access the internet through this connection, instead it says no internet. I am able to connect to the same network and use internet just fine over wifi. I have tried updating the network adapter drivers they were...
  4. Ethernet Cable connected, identifies network, but no internet. Wifi connects without a problem.

Ethernet Cable connected, identifies network, but no internet. Wifi connects without a problem.: I am connected to my network by ethernet but I'm not able to access the internet through this connection, instead it says no internet. I am able to connect to the same network and use internet just fine over wifi. I have tried updating the network adapter drivers they were...
  5. Ethernet Cable connected, identifies network, but no internet. Wifi connects without a problem.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  7. Ethernet Cable Connection

Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  8. Ethernet Cable Connection

9. Unable to connect to wifi without a ethernet cable

Unable to connect to wifi without a ethernet cable: Hi, I am currently using a lenovo ideapad 320s. Recently, after updating to windows 21H1, my wifi keeps disconnecting at random times. When this happens, the wifi options will disappear. This has been getting worst recently, and now my wifi does not work at all. The intel...
  10. Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet

Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet: I have my ethernet cable plugged in and my computer detects that it has been plugged in but it just says ethernet no internet. I've had this problem for a while and i believe that it started after an update. Its getting really annoying and ive tried some things across the...