Windows 10: Wifi not found after trying to install wifi extender

Discus and support Wifi not found after trying to install wifi extender in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitutde I was trying to setup a Netgear Wifi Extender because the Fios Router does not reach all the way to the other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by realtordcnova, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Wifi not found after trying to install wifi extender

Running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitutde I was trying to setup a Netgear Wifi Extender because the Fios Router does not reach all the way to the other side of the house. I did the setup (so I thought) the way the manual told me and my computer was trying to connect to the extender, but it just stayed in "Connecting..." For a long long time. Eventually I gave up and thought I'd hit the reset button on the extender and try again.

Now my wifi adapter finds NO networks. All my other devices see all the networks.

The only other time this has ever happened I had accidentally hit the network adapter switch on the side of the PC, so I'm 100% sure that's not the problem and that it is 'on' in the settings. I've tried restarting the pc several times as well as toggling the adapter on/off, airplane mode on/off, and the switch on the PC on/off.. And it still sees no networks.. Any suggestions?

:)

realtordcnova, Jan 8, 2016

2. WiFi Extender does not get detected.

I am attempting to set up a WiFi extender. I am unable to locate the window that shows available networks in order to continue set-up. The Network Settings shows "connected" to the WiFi through regular router, but does not show the extender.

Original Title: WiFi Extender

DickMaison, Jan 8, 2016
  3. laptop will not connect to wifi extender

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

There can be a number of reasons for no internet connection in Windows, some common reasons that can cause these problems are:

• Corrupted or incompatible drivers.
    • Missing updates.
    • Network connection settings.
    • Hardware or software problems.
    • Inappropriate distance from the router or obstruction.
    • Interference with other devices.
    Let’s try these methods below and check if that solves the problem.

Method 1:

Step 1:

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in
    “Safe Mode”
    , let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some
    third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.

• Click Update and recovery, and then tap or
      click Recovery.

• Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

• Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.

• If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click
      advanced options.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose the
      Safe Mode.

• Sign in to your PC with a user account that has
      administrator rights.
    Step 2:

If the issue does not appear in safe mode, place the computer in clean boot state and check if the issue reappears.

Placing your system in “Clean Boot” state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?wa=wsignin1.0

If the issue does not occur in “Clean Boot”, then you may determine which application/service on the computer is causing this issue. This can be done by following the instructions for
    “Windows 8.1 and Windows 8” given in the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a Clean Boot” from the same given link.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

How to use an automated troubleshooter, please follow the steps in the link given below

Note: An automated troubleshooter is a tool that can find and automatically fix some problems with the PC. These troubleshooters are designed to fix specific problems and are
    very helpful as it saves a lot of time and effort.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-connect-to-network#1TC=windows-8

If the issue persists, follow method 3

Method 3:

How to update driver software, please follow the steps given below.

• Press “Windows +X” keys on the keyboard and go to
      “device manager”.

• Go to “Network Adapters” and expand it.

• Now from the list, choose the
      Network adapter (wireless network adapter)
      that is showing limited connectivity.

• Right click on your
      wireless network adapter and choose “Update driver software”.

• A new windows will open.

• Click on “Browse my computer for driver software”.

• Select “let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

• Check the network adapters and see how many are listed. (Note: You may find two drivers here. One by
      Microsoft and the other from the Manufacturer)

• Choose the “manufacturer’s driver” and select
      next.

• Upon completion, you are advised to
      restart your PC and check if the issue is resolved.
    If issue persists, follow method 4

Method 4:

Please refer to the Microsoft Help articles given below and check if it helps.

Why can’t I connect to a network?

Note: A lot of variables are involved when you connect to a network: cables, network adapters, drivers, and routers. So troubleshooting network connection problems can be challenging.
    This article will help you find and fix problems with wired (Ethernet) and wireless (Wi-Fi) network connections.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-connect-to-network#1TC=windows-8

You may also refer to the article:

Wired and wireless network problems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...4&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

All the above articles holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Jan 8, 2016
  4. Wifi not found after trying to install wifi extender

Oh, wow wouldn't you know I was trying to figure this out for 20 mins getting ready to bang my head against the wall and the minute I post this I remember an old trick, that fixed it...

Control panel -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> (Your Network adapter) + right click + disable -> (Your network adapter) + right click + enable

Hope this can help anyone else who hits this bump and finds this post.

realtordcnova, Jan 8, 2016
Thema:

Wifi not found after trying to install wifi extender

1. Wifi not found after trying to install wifi extender - Similar Threads - Wifi found trying

2. Wifi extender

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi extender: Netgear wifi extender. Windows 10 laptop. The extender is set up and running fine, phones are talking to it. Windows laptop can see it fine, but is still trying to connect to the real wifi router. Problem is that the internet keeps cutting in and out in the office, hence...
  3. WiFi not found after Update

WiFi not found after Update: I am able to connect to my WiFi just after Windows update. I troubleshooted many times it didn't work. I couldn't WiFi options during troubleshooting and i couldn't find WiFi driver in device manager...
  4. Trying to fit an extender for wifi

Trying to fit an extender for wifi: I have bought a unbranded extender and followed the instructions by typing in the IP address 192.168.1.254 as it said in the instructions but am not getting any hits for it. This extender was not cheap and I am wondering if I am going about it the wrong way because the device...
  5. wifi extender

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi extender: My wifi extender connects to the wifi used by my router and works on my phone but not my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-extender/878e7736-e422-4ba8-a243-b223bd003ba3
  6. re Wifi extender.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    re Wifi extender.: I installed a wifi TP extrender on my laptop and now even with it unplugged from the wall, it still shows on my network list. I want it out of my computer for good. Please help me remove all traces of it. thanks...
  7. Wifi crashes after trying to connect to a specific wifi

Wifi crashes after trying to connect to a specific wifi: Hi there, I'm trying to connect to my apartment complex's wifi, but everytime I type in the password, the wifi crashes and opens back up to say 'Cant connect to this network'. I'm using the most updated windows 10 on my Lenovo laptop. I've tried every suggestion I've found...
  8. WiFi Extender Questions

WiFi Extender Questions: Yesterday I setup a WiFi Extender so that I could use my laptop when I'm outside in my work shed. Today I noticed that a device was connected to my extender. I checked my laptop and it was off. I found out that my desktop is connected to the extender and not directly to the...
  9. WiFi adapter not found

WiFi adapter not found: Downloaded a reputable program called "WiFi Analyzer" to see adjacent WiFi signals (neighbors, etc.) and evaluate if I am getting interference or a weak signal. On boot the program reports "WiFi Adapter not found". I'm pretty dense on this topic since I mainly work from a...
  10. Wifi adapter not found after upgrade

Wifi adapter not found after upgrade: My desktop computer (formerly operating Windows 7) connects to my wifi router via a Netgear USB adapter. The programme still seems to be installed but computer says 'no network available'. I rather think re-installing the netgear thing is the way forward but how can I do this...