Windows 10: Wifi - performance - am I going BONKERS !!

Discus and support Wifi - performance - am I going BONKERS !! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I was over sorting out a friends Cable box system and I got some real weird wifi results. He needs the 2.4 GHZ so 5 GHZ wasn't an option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Feb 26, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Wifi - performance - am I going BONKERS !!

Hi there

I was over sorting out a friends Cable box system and I got some real weird wifi results. He needs the 2.4 GHZ so 5 GHZ wasn't an option

Set his router to "N" only -- Wideband -- wifi connector showed 300 Mbs connection - but talk about SLOW -- and I tried all the available channels -- no difference -- and believe me in ISL we probably have one of the best broadband systems on the entire planet and not too much contention either.

Set back to "G" only with narrow (20MHZ) option.

Wifi card back to 150 Mbs connection (i.e half that of the "N" connection). Thing flew --go figure !!!!
    Download from a torrent site (not saying which - but a good test) was regularly over 4 - 5 Mb/s over wifi so not a bad result for the "G" wifi.

Any idea why the faster broadband spectrum performed so abysmally compared with the lower, slower and older standard.

At my home I use 5GHZ and regularly see 500 or more Mbs connection over wifi. The only difference is the cable boxes -- we both have the same ISP and they do support all the fast protocols. I suggested changing the cable box but he has a load of people using his Wifi and some of those PC's can only use 2.4 GHZ. Still doesn't explain why modern laptop was slower on "N" than the "G" standard while we were testing. -- On "G" we used channel 11 which usually seems the best one to use.

Totally puzzeled.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 26, 2016

2. My 625 is going & driving me bonkers!

if you done factory reset and format card, seems to be problem with phone, take it to nokia care center

sure why not, Feb 26, 2016
  3. when I copy musics file on my phone, then I have 2 to 10 copies of some of those on memory card

This works for a few times, but after several uses, it seems to go bonkers.

Assassin 11B3P, Feb 26, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

I had an article saved that i was looking at when i had the same issues this solved it , dunno if itll be any help but the full srticle .... 5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed - SmallNetBuilder

Fix #3: Don't Connect Draft 11n and 11b/g clients to the same router

The 2.4 GHz radio on an 802.11n single or dual-band router can also work with 802.11g and even 11b devices. But these much slower devices force the router to slow down to talk to them, which means a big throughput hit. Fortunately, the "legacy" mechanisms are pretty efficient and reduce throughput only when the slower devices are actively transmitting or receiving.
    As we showed in Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n, mixing 11n and "legacy" clients can reduce throughput by 50 to 80%. So if you are mixing old and new devices, you could be shooting yourself in the (throughput) foot. Either upgrade to all 11n clients, or use a separate 802.11g router or AP to handle your "legacy" stuff.

Archie123, Feb 26, 2016
  5. sml156 Win User
    I was a little dismayed when I checked my internal network with iPerf3

My supposed 300 MB WiFi connection was actually starting at about 25MB and gradually moving up to about 36MB
    My supposed 1Gig lan cards would max out at about 400MB

I decided I would read up on how to tweak my lan settings to get better throughput - that lasted about 10 min's - talk about to long didn't read.

I did find out that Linux right out of the box is twice as fast as Windows around 800 to 900MB

EDIT: When testing your WiFi the internet is not the best way to find what your throughput is.

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wifi - performance - am I going BONKERS !! - Similar Threads - Wifi performance going

2. Store updates bonkers

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Store updates bonkers: Store updates bonkersSo I go and check for updates, 27 in total, it gets done and nothing shows download for today 08/19/2021On focus assassit it shows 26 updates got installed...
  3. HELP - going bonkers! Bluetooth miasma.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HELP - going bonkers! Bluetooth miasma.: Win10x64 v1909 latest updates. Would be great to hear from someone who has had a similar problem. Thanks to Microsoft's updates their help and much of the online help has been porked by the changes they've made which makes a lot of the advice redundant. I've just about...
  4. How bonkered is this HDD?

How bonkered is this HDD?: First off, the necessary specs: 1R8174-020 Seagate Mobile HDD 2TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gbps 128MB Cache 2.5-inch Internal Hard Drive Windows 10 Pro v1909 x64 I'll start by saying that I am only looking to better understand what the problem may be with this particular hard drive and...
  5. Keyboard and Mouse stop working intermittently -- Going Bonkers Trying To Fix It

Keyboard and Mouse stop working intermittently -- Going Bonkers Trying To Fix It: Can anyone help me too with this issue: I have an old Dell Tower - not sure how old it is but its works just fine and has Windows 10 and SSD installed - to me it does what it needs to do but this darn mouse and keyboard stuff stopping working with no rhyme or reason is...
  6. Touchpad gone bonkers

Touchpad gone bonkers: Ok, since about 2 updates ago I've had touchpad issues, it will be working then clicks fail , i can move cursor, but button/touch clicking nothing, if i CTRL. ALT. delete, pick task manager it will then work again for a while and repeat same balls all over again when it first...
  7. Bonkers - but copy from different machine improves performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bonkers - but copy from different machine improves performance: Hi folks can't understand this -- I had sluggish W10 performance on AMD Operon X4321 X4 quad processor system installed from scratch (latest non Insider build). Installed not to SSD but HDD (6 Gb/s sata -- OK not as good as SSD but still should have been no slouch). Deleted...
  8. Going Bonkers here !!!!

Going Bonkers here !!!!: Hi folks Going Bonkers here -- running 5 VM's from an average laptop (Intel I3 proc) with 16 GB memory and 500GB SSD. Intel I3 processor only average --OK though for modest workload. Windows Host + 4 X Linux VM's and 1 Windows VM all giving acceptable performance So...
  9. Win 10 keystrokes go bonkers

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 keystrokes go bonkers: when I hit one key sometimes it drops down a list to select from sometimes it takes 2 keystrokes then just hangs if I persist in trying Win 10 logs off and I have to log on again. maybe the keystroke autocompletion feature? Need help. My Win 10 system is now...
  10. Ms you are going BONKERS -- Can't create recovery drive !!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ms you are going BONKERS -- Can't create recovery drive !!!!!!!: Hi there what sort of B/S is this -- surely a product this near to RTM (build 10240) should have an option to create a RECOVERY drive. I'd just LOVE to lock some of those I.T managers into a room with no Restrooms (WC's / bogs etc) with some users who could sit down...