Windows 10: Wifi speed well below thereoretical (802.11ac)

Discus and support Wifi speed well below thereoretical (802.11ac) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there trying to increase the Wifi speed -- have a decent Wifi adapter with 802.11ac capability - connected to USB 3 port. Speed should be up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Feb 3, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Wifi speed well below thereoretical (802.11ac)

Hi there

trying to increase the Wifi speed -- have a decent Wifi adapter with 802.11ac capability - connected to USB 3 port. Speed should be up to 500 - 600 Mbps instead of the 133 Mbps it shows. I KNOW the cable speed via LAN is really fast - so is the built in Wifi router that the cable company have given me not up to the job for Wifi -- I really would like to get rid of loads of LAN cable around the place. That's why I don't like these boxes the ISP issues you with - there's minimal tinkering you can do with them - but you have to use their cable box as a typical Router connects via the phone -- that phone connection system has long since disappeared where I am.

Seems that the cable boxes you get hobbled with by the ISP company - while OK for LAN seem to not be built for the fastest Wifi Protocol.

Anyway round this --- any call to the cable company seems to involve my worst nightmare -- long waits on the phone to some Indian call centre where the staff at the other end haven't a clue what I'm talking about -- all they seem to mouth over and over again - Is your Internet working --YES IT IS but that's not the problem. Grrrhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Wifi speed well below thereoretical (802.11ac) [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 3, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Atheros wifi driver

Janet,

• When terms such as 1gig network adapter are used they normally refer to Ethernet network adapters [ones that need a network cable attached].
    • When referring to WiFi network adapters, speed standards are expressed as 802.11ac / 802.11n etc.

Within 802.11n, you will also find variations in upload speed - some claim upload speeds of 300Mbps, others 150Mbps. It would have been better for the standard to have been stated differently in the first place [e.g. 802.11n150, 802.11n300] and I have
    no idea why this was not agreed within the industry.

The latest WiFi standard is 802.11ac and it is the fastest so far. Within 802.11ac, you will also find variations in speed quoted. My new router, just by way of example, is 802.11ac yet in its specs it also describes it as ac1200 [with a theoretical
    speed of 867Mbps]. When I was searching for a new one I also saw some described as ac600, ac300.

Terms such as 802.11abgn just mean 802.11n but with backwards compatibility to the older slower standards. This is normally the case but is always worth checking in any WiFi adapter's specs because you might want to connect to somebody else's network
    and you cannot be sure how old their equipment is.

All speed claims are theoretical. You are unlikely to achieve the maximum quoted speed in real life.

You will also see some WiFi adapter & routers described as dual-band [meaning that it can use both the old standard frequency band of 2.4GHz & the newish one of 5GHz].

It is all very convoluted and might force you to spend half your life studying what they all mean before you can buy new equipment. Or you can decide to
    simplify your search by only putting WiFi 802.11ac dual-band equipment in your shortlist. That's what I did.

Denis

Tryx3, Feb 3, 2016
  3. Poor WiFi Speed

Hello,

Actually I just bought one a few weeks ago to replace my Comcast Modem.

Mine is the Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router AC1900

It is very good

The Max 802.11n is 600Mbits and the 802.11ac is 1.3Gbits

Now I have 150/10 Internet Speed and I have noticed on my 802.11n 2x2 Wi-fi Card I have about 60-80Mbits Internet and 144Mbits networking speed however I took that test on a Intel 2230N Wireless Card which is pretty old.

but on 802.11ac 2x2 I get around 869Mbits Networking and my full Internet 150-175

So I would recommend not only this router but to get a Netgear 2x2 USB Wi-Fi 802.11ac card so you can get up to 869Mbits Networking. And Full Internet speed

Now to hit 1.3Gbits you will need a 3x3 Wi-Fi card and I am not sure if Netgear sells those for USB.

But I would recommend at least a 802.11ac 2x2 card.

802.11n 2x2 is not really that fast however like I said I have seen internet up around 60-80 and about 95 when I am the only one on it.

But on 802.11ac I have a network speed of 869 with Internet of 150 to 175Mbits.

What setup do you have right now?

Also have you ran a speed test from Speedtest.net ? There the fastest one to speed test.

1029rjmenvy17t2, Feb 3, 2016
  4. hawkman Win User

Hi Jimbo,
    there are a few tweeks you can make here,
    Throughput enhancement is the major amendment just depends on your adapters options.
    and then theres the bandwidth 5.2 is faster.

see screenshots, notepad Advanced are mine

Roy

hawkman, Feb 3, 2016
  5. Are you connected to the 5Ghz channel or the 2.4Ghz channel?

2.4Ghz is about 150Mbps
    5Ghz is about 433Mbps

Even still no guarantee you'll get that, depending on the router and the adapter you are using.

logicearth, Feb 3, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    switched to 5 GHZ band --guess what - signal is about 100% SLOWER !!!!! I think I'll keep the LAN cable for a while.

Actually any way to enable Ipv6 -- works on Linux but can't get Windows 10 to use Ipv6 at all. ISP has no probs with it at least that was one question the customer (dis/non)- service could answer OK..

I think though Windows is telling lies as the throughput is MUCH MUCH better than with my previous Belkin N300 mini wifi adapter -- haven't got any complaints - even streaming movies using 5GHZ band is faster and works fine.

I've always thought Windows networking is hit and miss -- even when you want to analyse data from it regarding Network speed etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wifi speed well below thereoretical (802.11ac) - Similar Threads - Wifi speed below

2. WiFi speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi speed: I recently bought a PC and am having alot of troubles with it. First i want to fix my WiFi speed, in my phone it is easily reaching 60mbps but on my PC it is only reaching 300kbps which is very concerning. I had an engineer come out and look at my WiFi which fixed connection...
  3. WiFi speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi speed: I recently bought a PC and am having alot of troubles with it. First i want to fix my WiFi speed, in my phone it is easily reaching 60mbps but on my PC it is only reaching 300kbps which is very concerning. I had an engineer come out and look at my WiFi which fixed connection...
  4. WiFi speed

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Internet speed suddenly drops below 500Kbps.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet speed suddenly drops below 500Kbps.: [ATTACH] I am facing this problem on daily basis. I experience this most during youtube or watching any streaming service The internet speed will be fine when i start a video on youtube/ streaming service and the video loads till 1 minute or so and later it buffers or...
  6. wifi speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi speed: I am using a broadband connection with 50mbps speed, its working fine on my desktop computer but it does not work properly on my laptop, the speed keeps varying. Please advise if there is any need for changing the setting on my laptop. Thanks...
  7. WiFi speed

WiFi speed: I have two Dell laptop computers in the same room running Windows 10. One has WiFi at 50/50 Mbps the other at 25/25 Mbps. Both used to be 50/50 Mbps. Inspiron 3650 fast and Inspiron 5749 slow A hard-wired desktop computer, also Windows 10 sees 60/60 Mbps. I don't run...
  8. WiFi Speed

WiFi Speed: Something is wrong with my WiFi on this computer. I am connected but the WiFi speed to this computer is slow. All other devices are running fine. The wifi speed to this on computer is very slow it is at 72mbps and it should be at 300mbps....
  9. Wifi Speed

Wifi Speed: The wifi speed on my Laptop is 175mb+. The speed on my desktop is 10mb. I have Xfinity service. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-speed/d7e23bde-4eb3-4e8d-8cd9-bc861d2732dd
  10. WIFI speed vs pc speed

WIFI speed vs pc speed: I recently got new frontier service with speed of 200/200 using speedtest.net my apple phone gets those numbers up and down. however my pc is only running close to 50/50 - the frontier tech told me it my be a setting in my pc - my pc is a dell intel core i5...