Windows 10: Wifi username and password issue

Discus and support Wifi username and password issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have just bought an HP laptop running windows 10. I cannot connect to internet wirelessly as when I select my network connection it requests... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GR8GUY, Feb 5, 2016.

1. GR8GUY Win User

Wifi username and password issue

Hi, I have just bought an HP laptop running windows 10. I cannot connect to internet wirelessly as when I select my network connection it requests username and password. (Screen shot attached)
    I only have a network password for my connection and have never had or been requested for a username.
    We have a couple of laptops at home and they connect with password only no problem. It is only this laptop that requests both. I can find no way past it and cannot connect. It connects via cable fine but thats obviously not ideal for portable laptop.
    Does anyway know how to get around this ? *Eek

:)

GR8GUY, Feb 5, 2016

2. wifi username & password in Windows 10

adding the network manually is the only thing that has worked for me. After selecting a WiFi network and entering the network security key, Windows 10 prompts for a username and password. What username and password is being requested? it's not the username
    and password for the only user account on the machine, nor is it a username/password for the WiFi router.

The answer to the original question misses the mark.

Windows 10 is the only OS I've had issues with when connecting to this network. OSX, Android, iOS, and Windows 7 all work as expected. Only Windows 10 prompts for a username and password after entering the network key. Are there user permissions that
    need to be set even for an Administrator user?

RobWooten42, Feb 5, 2016
  3. maewin0 Win User
    Wi-Fi connection lost after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi,

I have bought a new laptop and am having a weird wifi issue.

So I go to the wifi icon in the bottom right, select my network and then enter my wifi password. After a few seconds I am taken to the wifi settings page and required to enter a username and password. I have tried entering my MS account details but nothing
    works I just get the message cant connect to network.

I know the wifi password is correct and that the drivers on the laptop work because I have twice managed to connect to the wifi without needing to enter a username and password by unselecting connect automatically - this methods has worked twice in 7 days
    but most times I will be asked for a username and password and thus get stuck.

Other stuff:

Using a local MS account on the laptop at the moment

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Original title: New Laptop Windows 10 wifi issue

maewin0, Feb 5, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Open Command and enter netsh wlan show all . In order to connect to wifi, you first need the SSID, second is the Passphrase.

bro67, Feb 5, 2016
  5. GR8GUY Win User
    Thanks for this but although that method reveals and confirms my data is correct it still hasn't helped to resolve the issue. There is no username and password (as per earlier screenshot). Regardless of what details I populate those fields with it just returns cannot connect to this. I have tried using all combinations of the connection name (VM939467-2G ) passphrase /SSID /router access password etc into those boxes to no avail. I have updated network adapter driver and replicated all internet settings to match my own laptop.
    It connects no probs via cable but just cannot connect wirelessly. Are there any other vital settings Im missing or need to check ?
    Ive been scouring you tube and google and getting nowhere

GR8GUY, Feb 6, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    There is no username required for connecting to Wifi, unless you are on a public wifi that uses Captive Portal.

A private WiFi only needs SSID that is broadcast, and Passphrase entered for the computer to connect.

bro67, Feb 7, 2016
  7. Not a good idea to post a Word document, just post the image...

nigelmercier, Feb 7, 2016
  8. GR8GUY Win User

Hi Thanks again ! Yes I agree it shouldn't be asking for these details but for some reason it does.
    As I say our other 2 laptops do not encounter this issue and they use same router/connection. (One with win 10 and other with win 8.1 ) I'm perplexed as to why this laptop is getting different details requested.
    I suppose my question is what is driving it to request these details and is there possibly a setting or a field somewhere that I need to check ?

GR8GUY, Feb 7, 2016
  9. What happens if you click on one of the other networks?

nigelmercier, Feb 7, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    That looks more like a PPPoE, MAC Authentication, etc.. Who is the provider for the connection you are trying to connect to? Is it your own, WISP, DSL, or is it a public wireless network?

Who is the provider for that network that you are using? What does 'netsh wlan show all' show when you run it in command? Does it show the network you connect to and all information for channels, etc in the output?

It used to be a common problem with Vista and Windows 7, that Networking thought that the WiFi connection was a Domain. That was fixed by purging all connections that the machine has ever made through WiFi, and the adapter drivers and device, then reinstall the device with the drivers.

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    This walks you through removing all Network connections that have been made on the computer. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/forget...les-windows-10

Also make sure that in the 'Manage WiFi Settings', that the button for connecting to networks shared by contacts is off (changes from blue to whitish gray). The issue is with 'WiFi Sense', which just started to show problems with the latest roll out for Windows 10, when they made a bunch of security changes to the OS. In turn, they have broken a lot of installs for those of us that have specialized network setups in our homes. Wi-Fi Sense in Windows 10 and How to turn it OFF and WHY

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
  12. GR8GUY Win User
    Hi Thanks again for all your input ! Yes I tried and it was asking for username and password info on any of the available wireless connections. Our wireless network is virgin media. The command prompt netsh wlan show all displayed all the details I already had to hand. Yesterday I tried the WPS button on router whilst trying to connect and it actually connected. I thought that was it sorted and job done. Daughter was delighted until today when she tried to connect and it was back to square one asking for username and password. Its working again now via WPS button. I'll follow the steps on the links provided before I go to work tomorrow. I'd try it now but she is guarding her laptop for dear life online with her friends and wont let me anywhere near it *Smile

GR8GUY, Feb 9, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

The steps should work. No one knows why some installs get this error and some do not. It is like winning the Lotto sometimes.

After you do the steps. Unplug the Virgin equipment for about a minute and plug it back in. This will flush the unit of anything it holds in its RAM.

bro67, Feb 9, 2016
  14. DIA
    dia Win User
    I had exactly the same problem with my laptop and sometimes it would work and sometimes it would disconnect and ask for username and password or report that the password is incorrect. I reinstalled windows and the same problem appeared, turned wifi sense off and deleted the known networks. Eventually I went and restarted the router twice and now it`s working. I feel the problem might be with the network, the net is from Virgin. I`m afraid to turn the laptop off cause it might give me the same problem again.*Banghead

Thema:

1. Wifi username and password issue - Similar Threads - Wifi username password

2. WiFi connectivity - Username and Password is greyed out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi connectivity - Username and Password is greyed out.: I am unable to connect to my company wireless , where "Enter your user name and password" is GREYED out. Usually my Wifi connects thru a Certificate, but new laptops X1 Yoga we received recently asking for username and password. This is not same case for other laptops like...
  3. WiFi connectivity - Username and Password is greyed out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi connectivity - Username and Password is greyed out.: I am unable to connect to my company wireless , where "Enter your user name and password" is GREYED out. Usually my Wifi connects thru a Certificate, but new laptops X1 Yoga we received recently asking for username and password. This is not same case for other laptops like...
  4. usernames and passwords

in Windows 10 Customization
    usernames and passwords: how do i access all my usernames and passwords. I had them written down but lost them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usernames-and-passwords/62585e2c-7c94-4fa2-98fe-5755f3f02907
  5. username and password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    username and password: I am having a problem editing username through my microsoft password manager feature i want to edit username Found how to edit password but need to change username How is this done thru password manager...
  6. RDP and Username/Password

RDP and Username/Password: I use often RDP to connect to my laptop as I can see the three screens presented by my desktop workstation making work a whole lot easier. My initial problem was it would use something like [MicrosoftAccount]/[Username] to log in. The 1st strange thing I noticed was that...
  7. where does wifi saves passwords for username password based internet wifi

where does wifi saves passwords for username password based internet wifi: Hi, I am using Windows 10. There is some small problem I use to access internet in my network via Wifi. I get 2 screens. First a network wifi icon at bottom right hand corner. Which I click and I get some thing like this [ATTACH] Here I get a prompt on selecting the...
  8. NETSH: How to connect to wifi(SSID) with username and password

NETSH: How to connect to wifi(SSID) with username and password: How to connect to wifi(SSID) with username and password using netsh [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/netsh-how-to-connect-to-wifissid-with-username-and/eade9749-2650-469d-b0b1-55fe89a71bb6
  9. wifi username

wifi username: my wife's Dell laptop/tablet Windows 10 was able to logon to home wifi without a username but now it is asking for a username but we don't have one. how can we switch back to logging into home wifi with just the password?...
  10. username and password

username and password: how to find my internet password, it is connected from the router by cable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/username-and-password/e547cfd0-01b9-4977-b36b-5094fb340f7d