Windows 10: wifi

Discus and support wifi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can get internet on my phone and chromebook in other parts of the house yet I saw where wifi is not enabled or connected. Is that because the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by maranna, Jan 10, 2018.

1. maranna Win User

wifi

I can get internet on my phone and chromebook in other parts of the house yet I saw where wifi is not enabled or connected.
    Is that because the gateway's router is giving off the wifi signal?
    It seems odd to me that wifi is off in my desktop settings yet the house's network is getting it.
    Should I turn it on or off at my desktop if I want other rooms within my network to receive wifi securely?
    My desktop is connected to the gateway with an ethernet cable.My printer is connected to the gateway with and ethernet cable too but wifi is not enabled yet it too responds to devices from other rooms.
    I obviously do not understand the concept of networking at my level.

:)

maranna, Jan 10, 2018

2. No more WIFI. What?

My Samsung Focus Flash, a Windows Phone no longer recognizes WIFI networks . WIFI turned on but the screen just keeps saying "Searching". Other devices I have recognizes my WIFI network.

Told to do a hard reset. What happens if I do device reset? What do I lose? Do I have to buy previously purchased apps? What about contacts?

Need WIFI!!!, Jan 10, 2018
  3. Windows 10 WiFi not working after sleep mode

I've seen some older posts with this issue, but none every really say what the fix is. Seems this typically gets fixed by messing around in the systems and some unknown action fixes the issue. I've not been so lucky. So, problem is; I have a new Dell
    Inspiron 13 7000 series, i5 with Windows 10. My Wifi connects and works fine. If the computer goes to sleep, or the screen saver comes on, when I wake it back up the Wifi says it's "connected", but it does not work. If I hover over the WiFi icon in the lower
    right it says "no internet connection". I can disconnect and reconnect to Wifi, but it still will not work. If I totally restart the computer, WiFi automatically connects and it's all good until next time it sleeps or the screen saver comes on and I wake
    the system back up. I've unchecked the box in Device Manager power settings that allows/prevents the WiFi to be turned off in power saving mode. Anyone know how to fix this?

Sleepy WiFi, Jan 10, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

wifi

If the wifi is on at the router then its on if you cant get it in some room does it not show when you search if not you are out of range

Samuria, Jan 10, 2018
  5. maranna Win User
    Everything is fine. I just do not know why I get wifi at a device if the desktop is set to no wifi. It must be the router sending the signal.
    Why is there a "wifi off" at the desktop if wifi is on throughout the house?

maranna, Jan 10, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    The desktop doesnt send out wifi it all comes from the router turning wifi on at the desktop just means it can then recieve wifi it doesnt effect any other device

Samuria, Jan 10, 2018
  7. Helmut Win User
    "Is that because the gateway's router is giving off the wifi signal?"
    Yes, The Wireless Access Point is in what people call a "Gateway" or "Router".

Each device is connected to that separately.
    To turn off the WiFi completely you turn the Wireless Access Point off in the "Router/Gateway".

Each individual device can have it's WiFi off, or you can connect with an Ethernet cable like your Printer and Desktop.

That's why it's called a "router", part of it's job is routing stuff to/from wired and wired devices on your network.

Some devices will connect directly by WiFi to say the printer(WiFi direct). In that case the Wireless Access point in the Router is not used.

Helmut, Jan 10, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

wifi

Could also be that it's only the last few years that some computer makers or vendors are including Wi-Fi capability with the Network adapter and if using Ethernet connection to the Router shouldn't also need Wi-Fi on a Desktop. My year-old ASUS Desktop came with an add-in Wi-Fi card [which included Bluetooth Wireless], since I used the able connection I unplugged the card in favor of a 4-port PCI3-X1 USB 3.0 add-in card.

Berton, Jan 10, 2018
  9. maranna Win User
    Turning wifi on at the desktop would then enable wifi for it if it has a card which it does not. It then could receive the wifi signal.
    The router in the gateway is what is connecting the other devices to the web and the desktop is connected to the internet by the ethernet cable.
    So all except the ethernet cable is wifi connecting my phones and chromebook.
    I may have put it a bit wrong but I understand and thank you all.

maranna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

wifi

1. wifi - Similar Threads - wifi

2. Intel wifi card can't see the networks after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel wifi card can't see the networks after windows update: I have a Lenovo G50-80 notebook. When I do a fresh install, I can see my Huawei router's 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless networks. After Windows finishes updating and installs the Intel network driver, I can no longer see the networks. If I delete the driver from the Device...
  3. Intel wifi card can't see the networks after windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel wifi card can't see the networks after windows update: I have a Lenovo G50-80 notebook. When I do a fresh install, I can see my Huawei router's 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless networks. After Windows finishes updating and installs the Intel network driver, I can no longer see the networks. If I delete the driver from the Device...
  4. Intel wifi card can't see the networks after windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wifi option keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi option keep disappearing: My wifi driver and adapterkeep disconnecting and the wifi option disappeared it said code: 45, it started a few day ago, at first its only one time now its multiple time a day. Is there a way to stop this from happening? Is it because of the hardware or software? Should i...
  6. Wifi option keep disappearing

Wifi option keep disappearing: My wifi driver and adapterkeep disconnecting and the wifi option disappeared it said code: 45, it started a few day ago, at first its only one time now its multiple time a day. Is there a way to stop this from happening? Is it because of the hardware or software? Should i...
  7. my downloading speed stuck at 30mbps while on my wifi speed is 100mbps and on my phone it's...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my downloading speed stuck at 30mbps while on my wifi speed is 100mbps and on my phone it's...: my laptop is acer nitro 5 i7 12th gen and rtx 4070ti and i use wifi option and my internet speed stuck at 30mbps while on other hand on phone and other laptop i got full 100mbps speed...
  8. my downloading speed stuck at 30mbps while on my wifi speed is 100mbps and on my phone it's...

my downloading speed stuck at 30mbps while on my wifi speed is 100mbps and on my phone it's...: my laptop is acer nitro 5 i7 12th gen and rtx 4070ti and i use wifi option and my internet speed stuck at 30mbps while on other hand on phone and other laptop i got full 100mbps speed...
  9. realtek wifi not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    realtek wifi not working: realtek usb not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-wifi-not-working/714b4385-961e-440f-9d91-a50336d9130f
  10. realtek wifi not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    realtek wifi not working: realtek usb not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-wifi-not-working/714b4385-961e-440f-9d91-a50336d9130f