Windows 10: Wiindows Update 9/12/17 has killed IE

Discus and support Wiindows Update 9/12/17 has killed IE in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This week's big patch installed unexpectedly fast considering the list of issues it claims to address, but when the PC came back up, IE was dead. The... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mark99k, Sep 14, 2017.

1. mark99k Win User

Wiindows Update 9/12/17 has killed IE

This week's big patch installed unexpectedly fast considering the list of issues it claims to address, but when the PC came back up, IE was dead. The program file is still there but clicking it gives only a brief hourglass (and brief presence in Task Manager), then nothing. Same situation on both my desktop and laptop.

Uninstalling the patch brought it back, but when it reupdated shortly thereafter IE was gone again.

Minor possible clue: After the first patch, Edge was also unreponsive (it would open, but not browse anywhere). The re-update, strangely, brought it back. Still no IE, which I continue to need, for one (daily and work-related) task.

Any ideas? I know MS wants us all to adore Edge but this probably ain't the best way to go about that. *Mad

:)

mark99k, Sep 14, 2017

2. Windows Power Shell eating CPU

Since the update on 9/15/17, windows powershell keeps pegging my CPU. Can I limit or kill it?

LouANewman, Sep 14, 2017
  3. Microsoft Word Viewer 2003 is crashing

Hi dniheb,

I found the KB3127962 update, under "Update History". It has been downloaded to our computer twice: Once on November, 9, 2016 and once on November 17, 2016 (seems odd). I then looked for both of these under
    the "Uninstall Updates" tab. However, I only found the update from November 17, 2016, listed. The one from November 9, 2016 is not showing (seems odd). I uninstalled the one from 11/17/16 and rebooted the computer.

After rebooting, the KB3127962 update which was downloaded on November 17, 2016 is no longer showing in the "Uninstall Updates" list -it appears it has been deleted, but this has not fixed the problem. We
    still cannot view our word documents.

I'm not sure if it matters, but a couple of things to reiterate, in case it is helpful:

1.) Again, this KB3127962 update was listed twice under the "Update History", ie downloaded once on 11/9/16 and again on 11/17/16.

2.) Again, only the 11/17/16 update was showing in the "Uninstall Updates" (which I deleted). And, when I rebooted the computer, the 11/17/16 update was no longer showing here, but the word documents still will not open.

3.) After rebooting, both KB3127962 updates are still showing under "Update History" ie, once on November, 9, 2016 and once on November 17, 2016.

Any other suggestions as to why the app suddenly stopped working?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Sonya Bruyette

FullDisclosure131722, Sep 14, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Both IE and Edge work fine for me. I don't use either one but I opened up 5 web pages on each to check, no issues.

AddRAM, Sep 14, 2017
  5. mark99k Win User
    This is solved, with the help of user ricar0 on Tom's Hardware. The source of problem -- as far-fetched as it sounds -- is with the layout of tabs in IE. There's some issue with the latest update that paralyzes IE if you have its tabs set to display on a separate row. You can fix this by either uninstalling the update and unchecking Show Tabs on a Separate Row (right-click menu from any tab), then re-updating, or by editing the registry as explained here.

mark99k, Sep 15, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Not that far fetched. The release notes for this update specifically state one of the things updated was...
    Cumulative Update KB4038788 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.608

A similar IE 11 patch was in the update for Windows 7 where it worked as intended, apparently. After the update this popup appeared on opening IE (I'm guessing that was what was intended to happen in Windows 10 too).

Wiindows Update 9/12/17 has killed IE [​IMG]

Fortunately my Win10 IE was already set to have tabs on the same row, so apart from some puzzlement I had no problems.
    Cumulative Update KB4038788 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.608

7. mark99k Win User
    Uh, so it deesn't seem bizarre to you that one of two supposedly legitimate options for a program's tab display would prevent said program from even opening?

The fact that a tab change is shown as an update can't possibly justify this bug.

mark99k, Sep 15, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

It doesn't for me. I can change from one row to two, close IE then open it without a problem. It opens fine regardless of whether I set it to one or two rows.

This is probably because I had is set to one before the update which was luckily the 'safer' option - it seems that those who suffered problems were the ones who had it set for two rows before the update.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wiindows Update 9/12/17 has killed IE - Similar Threads - Wiindows Update has

2. The newest update has killed my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The newest update has killed my PC: The newest up day has killed my PC I installed and keept getting that windows runner you know that thing that runs the task bar and opens files basically the thing that lets you interact with windows would not load for I tried restoring it and resetting it to default and now...
  3. MS is killing my new Surface Pro 9 with updates!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS is killing my new Surface Pro 9 with updates!: Everytime MS releases a new update my bluetooth keyboard and mouse will not connect without rebooting the tablet. Today an update killed off my wifi adapter. When will we get working updates from MS? Every new update also takes about 15 minutes to boot.I am having to turn off...
  4. MS is killing my new Surface Pro 9 with updates!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS is killing my new Surface Pro 9 with updates!: Everytime MS releases a new update my bluetooth keyboard and mouse will not connect without rebooting the tablet. Today an update killed off my wifi adapter. When will we get working updates from MS? Every new update also takes about 15 minutes to boot.I am having to turn off...
  5. Why is MS killing my Surface Pro 9 with updates+

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is MS killing my Surface Pro 9 with updates+: Everytime MS releases a new update my bluetooth keyboard and mouse will not connect without rebooting the tablet. Today an update killed off my wifi adapter. When will we get working updates from MS?I am having to turn off automatic updates so I can get some work accomplshed....
  6. Why is MS killing my Surface Pro 9 with updates+

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is MS killing my Surface Pro 9 with updates+: Everytime MS releases a new update my bluetooth keyboard and mouse will not connect without rebooting the tablet. Today an update killed off my wifi adapter. When will we get working updates from MS?I am having to turn off automatic updates so I can get some work accomplshed....
  7. Driver Updates for Wiindows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver Updates for Wiindows 10: hello, I'm trying to take the pictures from my phone and put them on my computer. I have an android phone, a G7 Thin Q. I connected it to my pc and was going to try to figure out how to do this. However, I am bombarded with ads telling me that need an updated driver in...
  8. for wiindows updating related

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    for wiindows updating related: [ATTACH] Sir, i'm updating my PC using wifi conection but after some time it dispay "Virus and spyware definition could'n be updated". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/for-wiindows-updating-related/0cb871f3-e83a-4bbe-ad86-df6533641dd1
  9. fyi -- Windows Update from 9/12/2018

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fyi -- Windows Update from 9/12/2018: Just installed updates kb4457128 kb4456655 kb4457146 on one of my computers, the updates seemed to work OK and have no side effects. on another computer, could not open any app as administrator -- could hear the window pop up asking for permission, but no window was...
  10. Does IE 10 or IE 9 run on Windows 10?

in Browsers and Email
    Does IE 10 or IE 9 run on Windows 10?: I have access issues with a legacy application running in Windows 10 and I need the functionality of either IE 10 or IE 9 (we need SSL v.3) until we upgrade. Does anyone know how I can install earlier versions of IE on Windows 10 or a work around, we tried and were not...