Windows 10: Will a Clean Install Attempt Recognize the Windows 8.1 UEFI Stored Key

Discus and support Will a Clean Install Attempt Recognize the Windows 8.1 UEFI Stored Key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Guys, If I create a DVD with Windows 10 Home and try to perform a clean install on a computer that came with Windows 8/8.1 Home pre-installed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fahid, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Fahid Win User

Will a Clean Install Attempt Recognize the Windows 8.1 UEFI Stored Key

Hello Guys,

If I create a DVD with Windows 10 Home and try to perform a clean install on a computer that came with Windows 8/8.1 Home pre-installed. Will Windows 10 Home recognize and accept my genuine Windows 8/ 8.1 Home Key stored in UEFI or firmware etc?

By Clean install I mean not updating but directly trying to install on a computer, on which Windows 10 have never been installed before.

:)

Fahid, Aug 3, 2015

2. Windows 10 deletes license

The Product Key is stored in UEFI, not on your hard disk on newer computers. Even replacing your hard disk entirely does not lose the Product Key. Older computers were not this way and relied on stickers on the physical computer or a label that came with
    the install media.

This command, entered from Windows 8.1 Administrator Command prompt, should retrieve the Product Key from UEFI:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

It worked for me on my daughter's laptop after a clean install of Windows 8.1. I then used that retrieved Product Key to activate Windows 8.1 after installing it without a Product Key. I could then upgrade to Windows 10.

Don Cuthbert, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Error 0x8007045D - Windows 10 clean install

Did Windows 8 or 8.1 come preinstalled on the laptop? If so the Product Key for that version which came with the laptop is embedded in the BIOS to

Clean Install - Windows 8
    using media provided at
    Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help
    . It explains in the first tutorial which how the various Product Keys are handled. You might be able to reinstall 8.1 with 8 key that came with it.

A popular solution to the error you're getting trying to reinstall Windows 10 is to cancel out of the install and reboot the PC to try again.

Do you have a UEFI BIOS? If so the installer needs to be booted as a UEFI Device or it will not install. Flash media must be formatted using Media Creation tool, or Rufus for UEFI/GPT.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Will a Clean Install Attempt Recognize the Windows 8.1 UEFI Stored Key

Hellishdream, Aug 3, 2015
  5. The WindowsCentral link only walks you through how to do a clean install AFTER doing the upgrade.

So basically, I believe the current consensus (in answer to your question) is NO -- a clean install of Win10 on a PC not previously upgraded is NOT going to accept your product key to activate Win10.

Note: If anyone has actually done this -- activated Win10 by entering a Win7/8/8.1 key -- then please respond to this post, as I am very interested in doing the Win10 installations this way.

Mark Phelps, Aug 3, 2015
  6. If planning on performing a clean installation I would recommend a full backup of your windows installation you currently have , this is due to a clean install wiping all prior OS and files out as part of the process. Have heard many horror stories of people attempting this and losing everything and having to start from total scratch by not being prepared for the repercussions a clean install brings to the table.

Also would like to add that the upgrade goes off of a hardware ID hash made as part of the upgrading process , as far as I know without buying a retail version of win 10 there is no viable product key method as windows 8/8.1 aren't compatible . Win 10 creates a hardware hash sends it to MS authentication servers which then send the machine a certificate that allows the upgrade to be activated. The only way I am aware of to acquire an actual win 10 product key is to buy the retail version which makes upgrading redundant.

Hellishdream, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Will a Clean Install Attempt Recognize the Windows 8.1 UEFI Stored Key

1. Will a Clean Install Attempt Recognize the Windows 8.1 UEFI Stored Key - Similar Threads - Clean Install Attempt

2. Transferring Windows 8 key to clean install of Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows 8 key to clean install of Windows 11: I bought a retail Windows 8 Pro key direct from MS when it first came out. I upgraded to Windows 10 when that came out. The key isn't linked to my Microsoft account.I am building a new PC that I want to put Windows 11 on. Can I use my old Windows 8 key?I know I can't use the...
  3. Transferring Windows 8 key to clean install of Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows 8 key to clean install of Windows 11: I bought a retail Windows 8 Pro key direct from MS when it first came out. I upgraded to Windows 10 when that came out. The key isn't linked to my Microsoft account.I am building a new PC that I want to put Windows 11 on. Can I use my old Windows 8 key?I know I can't use the...
  4. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  5. Clean install in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install in UEFI mode: Hi I am about to receive the bits to upgrade my husbands PC from a simple desktop machine to what the PC Gamer site assures me is a high end gaming machine. However, in the process I want to take the opportunity of also upgrading to a UEFI system from MBR but I'm a little...
  6. Windows 8 sticker but no product key in UEFI on refurbished laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 8 sticker but no product key in UEFI on refurbished laptop: I'm posting this on TenForums so others will learn from my experience upgrading to Windows 10. But I would really like to know if anyone else has seen a computer with the square Windows 8 sticker, but no product key either on a label or in firmware/bios? <- that's just bolded...
  7. UEFI install on clean SSD

UEFI install on clean SSD: I've been having some trouble with my existing Windows 10 installation, and I'm planing to resinstall the OS from scratch on a brand new SSD that's fresh out of the box. I want to install it with UEFI and Secure Boot from a USB, as I'm currently using Bios. I've...
  8. Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions

Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions: Hi everyone, i've upgraded from windows 8.1 with uefi bios, so basically now i can do clean install 10 without product key? But the real question is: My pc have 8 partitions, the primary one, 5 of recovery, 1 oem and 1 efi. Can i delete all partitions and create only one?...
  9. Clean install on Windows 10 Tablet - UEFI

Clean install on Windows 10 Tablet - UEFI: I have a Slide i701 which came with Windows 8.1 and I used the Media Creation Tool ISO to upgrade it to Windows 10 Home Single Language x86. Yesterday, I downloaded the 1511 Build for the same. I'd like to clean install the build using the ISO and by clean install I mean, I...
  10. Clean install UEFI only 3 partitions

Clean install UEFI only 3 partitions: hi all I have clean installed windows 10 in UEFI mode it showed 4 partitions but after install only shows 3 partitions in disc managment no MSR reserved partition why How do I know it is UEFI mode 15497