Windows 10: Will changing the computer name affect my restore drive?

Discus and support Will changing the computer name affect my restore drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; After completing installation of Windows 10 and my programs, I created a usb restore drive. Afterwards, I decided to change the computer name. Does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Gregory92115, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Will changing the computer name affect my restore drive?

After completing installation of Windows 10 and my programs, I created a usb restore drive. Afterwards, I decided to change the computer name. Does anyone know if that will cause a problem with using my restore drive? (hope I never need it)

:)

Gregory92115, Jun 13, 2016
  2. 7thSense Win User

Will Changing window phone affect my purchases on Marketplace?

Your purchases are linked to your Live ID, so they are not affected if you change phone.

If you no longer use a phone, you click Remove Phone (that will remove the association with your Live ID).

7thSense, Jun 13, 2016
  3. BroknWing Win User
    Will Changing window phone affect my purchases on Marketplace?

I Am using samsung fous but will soon use Nokia Lumia 800. Just wanted to know if this will affect my purchase History In Marketplace. I Mean will i be able to install all purchased games on my new device.

On Windows live account i have seen that link that says "Remove this phone" : what is that for?

Thanks In Advance

BroknWing, Jun 13, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Will changing the computer name affect my restore drive?

By restore drive do you mean you created an image backup of the hard drive? If not, what exactly do you mean?

Ztruker, Jun 13, 2016
  5. My mistake. I should have said, "recovery drive." When you open the Control Panel and go to Security and Maintenance, it's an option under Recovery to create a Recovery Drive. It creates a bootable usb flash drive with recovery files.

Gregory92115, Jun 13, 2016
  6. RWOne Win User
    Shouldn't, as long as the assigned drive letter is the same.

RWOne, Jun 13, 2016
  7. Thanks. Suspected that, but wanted to be sure.

Gregory92115, Jun 14, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

I strongly urge you to look into doing image backups instead. The recovery Drive will not have your data on it so if you use it, that gets lost. Image backup retains everything so there is no loss of data.

Ztruker, Jun 14, 2016
  9. Thanks. I will learn more about that and probably take your advise.

Gregory92115, Jun 14, 2016
  10. robgr Win User
    In a similar vein I use Macrium backup s'ware and this has an option to identify the destination drive by its ID rather than drive letter
    This is useful in the case where it's an external drive and it may take a different drive letter from that configured in the backup task

robgr, Jun 14, 2016
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Thanks for the tip robgr. I use Macrium and did not know that. Good information.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Will changing the computer name affect my restore drive? - Similar Threads - changing computer name

2. Change the name of the computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the name of the computer: May I know how can I change the name of my computer?I took it to have maintenance and they set my computer name as 'user' but I want to change the name.Thank you....
  3. Change the name of the computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change the name of the computer: May I know how can I change the name of my computer?I took it to have maintenance and they set my computer name as 'user' but I want to change the name.Thank you....
  4. Does changing the device name affect licensing?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does changing the device name affect licensing?: Under Settings --> About --> Device Name I saw a name all in upper caps not given by me. How does W10 Pro choose such a name? But mainly I was wondering if changing that name seeing that it could be done affect the license in any way Group, private or whatever?Thank youOS:...
  5. Change computer name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change computer name: What happens if I change the name of my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-computer-name/c6754c42-6398-4b42-9d1a-3f7d644fe917
  6. change name of computer

change name of computer: Need to change name of computer and sign on screen. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-of-computer/4d3706d2-64d8-44ba-b0cb-5a8b442c451d
  7. Change of my Computer's Name

Change of my Computer's Name: I unknowingly changed my Computer's name in the Control panel settings. I'm not connected to a Domain or a workgroup. So will this affect or cause any problems in the Future?...
  8. Changing computer name

Changing computer name: Hello I recently purchased a new hp laptop computer for my business. My coworker set up the computer not knowing what i needed computer name to be and also logged into Microsoft through it. My question is do i need to return computer to factory to change the computer and...
  9. Changing the computer name?

Changing the computer name?: Hello everyone, I need help with changing my username on the computer. now the reason i want to do it because my username is on my language and because of that the computer cant locate games or installation programs. and i know there is a option to change in the settings....
  10. This change to my computer affect my Wife's computer.

This change to my computer affect my Wife's computer.: When I setup a screensaver slideshow on my Win 10 computer it also sets itself up on my wife's Win 10 machine. How do I stop this? Is this something to do with a network setting that I don't want or need? Thanks 39486