Windows 10: Will GenuineTicket.xml work after July 29?

Discus and support Will GenuineTicket.xml work after July 29? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, Quick question. Does anyone know if I run gatherosstate today and create a GenuineTicket.xml file, can I perform a clean install on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mutexx, May 1, 2016.

1. Mutexx Win User

Will GenuineTicket.xml work after July 29?

Hello,

Quick question. Does anyone know if I run gatherosstate today and create a GenuineTicket.xml file, can I perform
    a clean install on my Windows 7 computer AFTER July 29? My reasons are complicated, but I just need to know if anyone knows for sure if this will work. Thanks for any help.

Rick

:)

Mutexx, May 1, 2016
  2. nyUD Win User

Error Code 0xc004c003 - Clean Install after Upgrade - Let's Unite

Did you actually try the GenuineTicket.xml trick as described earlier? While not exactly an acceptable fix, it's a valid work around as far as I am concerned.

nyUD, May 1, 2016
  3. Free Windows 10 ending again

There is another way that works well that does not require you to actually upgrade Windows 7 or 8 to gain a Digital License for Windows 10 on an activated Windows 7 or 8 device.

• Find gatherosstate.exe under the Sources folder of Windows 10 install media and copy it to a writable folder.
    • Run it to create GenuineTicket.xml on the Activated Windows 7 or 8 device.
    • Clean-install Windows 10 to a small partition, separate from your activated Windows 7 or 8, and use an MSA account login.
      • Do not use any Product Key
    • Place a copy of GenuineTicket.xml at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket\GenuineTicket.xml on the Windows 10 partition and Restart Windows 10 to activate. Sometimes this copying and restart must be done more than once.
    • Confirm that Windows 10 shows Activated with a Digital License linked to your Microsoft Account.

Now you can return to using Windows 7 or 8 and even delete the Windows 10 partition if you wish. I would keep a copy of GenuineTicket.xml (which is only of any use on the same activated device that it was created on).

Don Cuthbert, May 1, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It will not allow you to get a first time activation of Windows 10 for free, if that is what you are asking. All it will do is flag your Windows 10 install as an upgrade rather than a clean install and after July Microsoft is scheduled to stop doing first time upgrades for free.

NavyLCDR, May 1, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - this is a potential minefield. One of the big improvements of version 10586 was the ability to activate a clean install using old key.

Actually, this was not specifically introduced to make it easier to install Windows 10 the first time, but to help in cases where reinstalls failed to digitally reactivate.

So what happens to a user who originally upgraded legitimately and later reinstalls (after the free period) on same device (eg changing to an ssd) and it fails to activate? Whilst this should not happen, it certainly has.

So, unless MS kep a record of old key used to upgrade as well, I cannot see any solution here, unless MS extend the free upgrade period ad nauseam.

cereberus, May 2, 2016
  6. Kyhi Win User
    The PC will receive a Digital Entitlement that will be recorded with MS, if you preformed the upgrade...

So reinstalls should not be an issue... The same as all Product Keys are Activated, that Key is now flagged as Digital Entitlement..

If you are not sure about any switch over at this time >
    Create a complete system backup of your current PC using Macrium Reflect (Free)
    Go through the windows 10 upgrade process to get the Digital Entitlement
    Then Restore your PC to it's prior state from the Macrium Backup

Kyhi, May 2, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    For clarity,

1) Upgrades from 7/8 get digital entitlement.

2) Clean installs activated using an old 7/8 key get digital entitlement.

3) Any install activated using the MS Store get digital entitlement.

For all above cases, you can reinstall without a key (although it does glitch occasionally).

4) All other cases DO NOT get digital entitlement. They use the traditional product key activation. Here you have to renter key to activate (automatic for most preinstalled oem licences similar to Windows 8).

Well explained here.

Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

cereberus, May 2, 2016
  8. Mutexx Win User

Thanks everyone for the clarification. Sounds like my best bet is to get my genuineTicket.xml, put a temporary drive in my computer, clean install 10, then put my original windows 7 back in for the time being. The reason I can't upgrade now is that I have a Windows software raid 1 as my data drive (Drive E: - 2, 2TB drives) and my boot drive is a 2tb, with a junction point for the users folder pointing to the mirror. I want to up the mirror to 2, 4tb drives and a brand new 2 tb. drive for C: (I can't afford the new drives right now). I'm sure it would be a bad idea to just upgrade to 10 with my configuration. I've done plenty of Windows 10 clean install's using the gatherosstate method., I just wasn't sure if the GenuineTicket would work after the deadline. Thanks for helping me out, have a great day!

Rick

Mutexx, May 2, 2016
  9. Kyhi Win User
    That would be the best bet - to insure that you do not have to purchase a windows 10 product key after july 29th..

Kyhi, May 2, 2016
  10. Rocky Win User
    You will very rarely need more than a 250 gb drive as your C drive. Even if you have hundreds of games, you can put them on your E Drive.

Rocky, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Will GenuineTicket.xml work after July 29? - Similar Threads - GenuineTicket xml July

2. Hardware Change And Windows 10 Activation After July 29

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hardware Change And Windows 10 Activation After July 29: Hello everyone, I have a little question that might be answered before, but I searched in the forums and couldn't it. So sorry if it's already been answered somewhere. I've upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, from Win 8.1 Pro (retail) at the very first day. Few days after that,...
  3. Hardware Hash Activation Mathematic equation: Before and After July 29

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hardware Hash Activation Mathematic equation: Before and After July 29: Product ID: 00330-80000-00000-AA000/10240 Upgrade from 10166 Pro clean install Product ID: 00330-80000-00000-AA529/10240 Pro first Clean Install Product ID: 00330-80000-00000-AA741/10240 Pro second Clean Install Product ID: 00330-80000-00000-AA496/10525 Pro first Clean...
  4. What happens with my retail licenses after July 29, 2016 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    What happens with my retail licenses after July 29, 2016 ?: I have both Windows 7 and 8.x retail licenses. They have now been used up by upgrading to Windows 10 (both as hosts and as vm's). A few questions: 1) Where can I find Microsoft information as to what will happen with these licenses after July 29, 2016, i.e. after the...
  5. future questions about getting a free upgrade after 29 July

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    future questions about getting a free upgrade after 29 July: As far as I know, the free upgrade to 10 is going away in a few hours. I speculate that there will be at least a few posts asking how to get the free upgrade after the offer's expiration. (That may include some who do an upgrade through means other than Windows Update,...
  6. How to get Windows 10 after July 29

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get Windows 10 after July 29: I have Windows 8.1 and am not upgrading to Windows 10 for awhile to see how things go. I noticed today July 29th that the upgrade icon in my taskbar disappeared. So when I decide to upgrade will I need to go to Windows Update or Windows Store ? 9424
  7. what happens after 29 July

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    what happens after 29 July: What happens after 29 July 2016 if you have to (or just want to) reformat a machine that either had windows 8 preinstalled (the case with my laptop) or had an OEM windows 7 home premium disc (my desktop). Out of curiosity could I reformat and revert to windows 7 on the...
  8. Windows 10 Release Date July 29

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Release Date July 29: On July 29, you can get Windows 10 for PCs and tablets by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer, or on a new Windows 10 PC from your favorite retailer. If you purchase a new Windows 8.1 device between now and then, the Windows 10 upgrade will be available to you and many...
  9. 29 July events

in Windows 10 News
    29 July events: Check the MS Facebook page for launch events JUL 29 Windows 10 Launch Event with NHL Selke Trophy Winner Patrice Bergeron Microsoft Store The Shops at Prudential Center in Boston, Massachusetts 7:00am in EDT -27 people are going Windows 10 Launch Event with World...
  10. Windows 10: What to expect on July 29

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: What to expect on July 29: With the launch of Windows 10 less than a week away, here’s what you can expect to find when the operating system launches on July 29. It’s not quite as simple as “Windows 10 will be available that day.” Windows Insiders (read: Windows 10 preview testers) will get first...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. genuineticket no longer works

2. genuineticket.xml hardware change

3. genuineticket.xml how to