Windows 10: Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?

Discus and support Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Win7.1-64 system is very old and I need to do a clean install of Win10. My current Win7 is installed on an old SSD so I decided to get a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bbinnard, Jul 10, 2015.

1. bbinnard Win User

Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?

My Win7.1-64 system is very old and I need to do a clean install of Win10.

My current Win7 is installed on an old SSD so I decided to get a new one, which I now have. My plan was to create a Win10 ISO flash drive, replace my current SSD boot drive with the new one, and do a clean install of Win10 on the new SSD.

Will I be able to do this? My fear is that the Win10 installer will look for an existing Win7 install, but won't find it because that drive will not be in the system.

:)

bbinnard, Jul 10, 2015

2. Will I be able to preform a fresh install of Win10 with my free upgrade?

I want to know if an ISO image of Win10 will be available to people who reserved their copy of Win10.

Also during the installation will I use my existing Win7 key or will I receive a new Win10 key?

Brady Dean, Jul 10, 2015
  3. Will I be able to preform a fresh install of Win10 with my free upgrade?

You can do a custom install which is a clean install. I would advise you not to format the hard disk using the ISO image since a compliance check will likely need to be done.

How
    to: Do a custom installation of Windows

Andre Da Costa, Jul 10, 2015
  4. Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?

I don't believe that MS has provided this level of clarification yet on their free "upgrades". They have said that an existing license for Win7/8/8.1 is going to be required to activate the upgrade, but they haven't said how that license information is going to be obtained. They may provide a way of entering the "old" license key, and if that is the case, the installer won't need access to the old Windows version.

Mark Phelps, Jul 10, 2015
  5. bbinnard Win User
    Thanks. hopefully I'll be able to just enter my Win7 registration key and go.

bbinnard, Jul 10, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Unless you remain an insider, you must upgrade first to Win10.

Now you have 2 choices:

1. You can create a system image of Win7 as it now is, and re-image it to the new SSD, then upgrade to Win10

or

2. You can upgrade using the SSD you have now(make a image of Win7 for "Just in Case") to Win10, then when the ISO's eventually come out, switch disk's and clean install to the new one(better choice).

Cliff S, Jul 10, 2015
  7. Yes.

Upgrade your older SSD with Win7 on it.

Download the ISO
    Swap the drives - leave the older one out of the machine.
    Install Windows 10 on your new SSD.

The details on the ISO download aren't clear yet, but it's been stated that once you've updated a system to Win10, you can get the ISO for a clean install. Only a motherboard change would make it a new device, so there should not be any issue with a drive swap.

It might require phone activation, but then MS is going to get a lot of calls *Wink

This is exactly what Cliff S said ... I should read posts instead of scan them - I'd give a +rep to Cliff S ... but no, I have to spread +reps around a bit before I can.

Slartybart, Jul 10, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Hey that's ok, first of all it gives me confirmation that my advice was on the right track, and the OP can see it is advice and not my opinion*chuckle.

Cliff S, Jul 10, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    Doing a clean install of 7 to the new SSD and then upgrade to 10 is the simplest way to do it.

badrobot, Jul 10, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Not really, remember how many thousands of updates will have to be downloaded and installed?

Cliff S, Jul 10, 2015
  11. badrobot Win User
    Updates for Windows 7? There may be a way to skip and just get GWX. All those Windows 7 updates will be useless anyway. You just need the license for it.

badrobot, Jul 10, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    To upgrade from 7 to 10 he needs to use windows update the first time, and windows update has been updated itself many times since the last Win7 ISO with sp1 came out. He may not need GWX, but it must be fully updated to be able to upgrade(that's why even using setup.exe it looks for updates first.

My Win 7 image/installation is from 2011, I heave re-image in between but not reinstalled, and it runs just fine. No BSODs since 20112 when I was testing different All-In-One optimizers(just testing really*Tongue), but the install is from 2011 and after multiple Win10 upgrade testing it work well every time(after turning RAPID MODE off).

Cliff S, Jul 10, 2015
  13. badrobot Win User

Well, I will never find out the real answer. I am not giving up my 7.. haha.. *Smile
    But personally, doing the updates is not a big deal if that is the only thing there is to do. Some of us here has to painfully go through 12 or more hours of upgrade process just to switch between insider builds. Why not for the real thing? *Smile

badrobot, Jul 10, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    This is very true, unless like me on a metered connection with pre-paid mobile broadband. Not like Windows 8.1 where you have to stop downloading install what you have and start downloading again*Sad(another reason I'm so big on using system images).

Cliff S, Jul 10, 2015
  15. badrobot Win User
    Oh yeah, that really hurts. *Smile You don't have any other internet connection option?

badrobot, Jul 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD? - Similar Threads - able install Win10

2. Upgrading to a new SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading to a new SSD.: So. I got a Lenovo Legion y540. It is already up to date with windows 11. But now I got a new 1TB WD Black SSD and when I tried upgrading it before it did not boot. So I put the old ssd back in and it turned on and it was like normal. How do I make the computer work with the...
  3. Installing upgraded WIn10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing upgraded WIn10 on new PC?: Im in the process of buying new components to build a new pc, its been at least 10 years since my last rebuild so out of the loop a little but wanted to know the process of installing WIN 10 on the new PC. My old pc had Win7 then the free upgrade came out and im now on...
  4. Upgrade to Win10 Pro & to new SSD

Upgrade to Win10 Pro & to new SSD: Hi All, I have query related to fresh SSD Installation. My current HDD is dead & I have new SATA SSD to be install on my Dell Inspiron. Can you please let me know how I can install SSD on laptop with fresh WIN 10 Pro / Home edition OS installation. Currently I have...
  5. New SSD win10 install, advice please?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New SSD win10 install, advice please?: OK, so Windows updates are just slowing my machine down and I'm thinking of getting an SSD and swapping it over. Problem is my laptop only has one drive slot so I can't clone it the way I've been told and I have not been able to find my product key as It wasn't stuck to the...
  6. Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?: I have duly upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 and it is shown as 'Activated': I have also downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and saved that to a DVD: I now want to change my boot HDD to an SSD. Would the following method make sense? 1. Install the SSD and clone my...
  7. Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade

Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade: I have reserved my copy of Win 10 (upgrade from Win7 Pro 32bit retail) , but i plan to fit a SSD and instill the 64bit version of Win 10. does windows 10 need to be upgrade installed first so Win 10 recognizes my hardware or can i download the ISO and do a clean install...
  8. Can't Install Windows on New SSD Installed on New Win10 Laptop

Can't Install Windows on New SSD Installed on New Win10 Laptop: Hello everyone, Here is my issue. I just got a deal on a brand new HP Probook 450 G3 that came with a 1To HDD and Windows 10 pre-installed. I used the spare money to purchase an Windows 7 Pro x64 license and a Sandisk 256Gb SSD. My intention was to pull the original HDD...
  9. win10 install to SSD

win10 install to SSD: Windows install says ( Can't install on USB flash drive.). That's how it sees my SSD. Do I have to put my original HDD back in, image SSD to it and then try to install? 13087
  10. Not able to install new ISO on SSD

Not able to install new ISO on SSD: Basically, I got fed up with the daily problems from doing an "upgrade" from Win8.1 to Win10TP 32-bit and decided to install afresh from the latest ISO. Since I have a 64-bit processor and 8GB of memory (now) I thought I'd try the 64-bit version. Booted from the USB stick,...